Why afe people so preciouse about "their" parking space!!!

Rob8980

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It just need to vent some anger really. Just took my 2 year old daughter to visit her gran and grandad. There is usually about 4 spaces outside there house but on this occasion they where full. So like any normal person would I parked in the next available space about 100m away outside another house. Being a considerate motorist I pulled up to the car in front close so as not to block the drive ( nothing parked behind the car I pulled up close to just a dropped curb for another drive.) by the time I reach grandparents the owner of the house I have parked outside has pulled his car right up to mine and blocked his own drive way just to block me in. I see this but give him the benefit of the doubt and hope its only for a minute. When I leave about an hour later it is still there. After about a 6 point turn I get my car out ( would have been easier if I had left him LESS room to get up his own drive. Then I see him cum running out to inspect his car ( I didn't hit it it was a poor boxing in attempt really). What was he trying to achieve? I'm allowed to park their. Why are people so precious about a piece of land they don't own? If some one parks outside my house I just park somewhere else it's swings and roundabouts. Sorry for the long post just needed a rant.

. . . After about a 6 point turn I get my car out ( would have been easier if I had left him LESS room to get up his own drive. Then I see him cum running out to inspect his car ( I didn't hit it it was a poor boxing in attempt really). . . .

You saw what?! :eek:

:devil:

So long as your not blocking anyone in, you can park on a dropped kerb anyway.

I like that fact when annoying neighbours in my mums very small tight cul de sac.

One neighbour has a drive, with dropped kerb and 3 cars. However insists on parking all of them in the cul de sac, which also includes outside my mums. I just pull up in front of their drive they hate it.

qwerty321 said:
You saw what?! :eek:

:devil:

Oops. That's a whole different thread and a whole different forum I think. I think my spelling suffered due to my cloud of rage! Something else that annoys me that I have spotted on my travels are people who put cones out to try and stop people parking on their front. I don't think I could be bothered with the hassle of putting the cones out and then in again and with all my neighbours knowing I was a selfish idiot with nothing better to do.

I'm afraid that's incorrect as the people who tried it round here found out when they got a nice fine

My next door but 1 neighbour got arsey with me on Sunday, i had stopped outside her house for a minute! Not parked, but stopped. She doesn't even have a car!

Around my area no one seems able to park up the curb, instead they park about a foot away.

I used to be protective of a small semi-circular patch of lockblock at the bottom of the drive/garden in one of our previous houses, I often went out to people and asked them to move if they parked there (usually visiting someone else).
You'd invariably get abuse, as they viewed it as just another part of the lockblock Cul-De-Sac.
What they didn't realise was that those small semi-circles at the bottom of each house's garden were part of the title deeds.
Effectively, they were parking on a piece of my garden/drive.
So that's why I was so 'precious' about it.:D

This was definitely just another piece of highway. I had the same right to park in it as anybody else.

Got to admit i dont like it,i have a long wheel base van ,sometimes i need to unload heavy items into the garage,its a working van,sometimes people park in such away i cannot reverse the van onto the drive,or they double park,meaning i can just squeeze thru.But a fire engine wouldn't get thru ,i pointed this out to a woman the other week,she just looked at me mouth agape...Silly cow,shift it...

I live in a small cul-de-sac, just seven houses. No drive as such but two private parking spaces. My nextdoor neighbour's ma-in-law leaves her car in the middle of the turning area even though both parking spaces are available to her making it really difficult for any of the other neighbours to get into their allotted spaces.

It's just the way people are - bellends. Which leads me to my rant, we have a dropped kerb and often get blocked in. It seems people think leaving us 3 feet of space is adequate to get the cars out, my car has thin tyres and low suspension and there's no way I can get over a full kerb (why should I anyway, that's what our dropped kerb is for!)

If I don't know who's car is blocking me in I reverse up to it and sit sounding the horn until someone comes and moves it. I haven't got a lot of choice really, it's either that or knock on everyone's door and i'm not messing around all day doing that.

The most annoying thing about it? I live on a road that is almost a mile long with no parking restrictions whatsoever, and there's always plenty of room to park just a few yards away as well as numerous side roads. There are literally hundreds of parking opportunities yet the dickheads still park over our drive.

But a fire engine wouldn't get thru

I've seen how annoyed (and rightly so) Firemen get when stupid parking blocks their access.
Two people on a narrow housing estate street, who'd parked directly opposite each other.
Just sheer stupidity, but it cost one of them a broken window when he didn't come out to move it quickly enough.
Smash, handbrake off, push it down the road a bit.:)

I like that fact when annoying neighbours in my mums very small tight cul de sac.

One neighbour has a drive, with dropped kerb and 3 cars. However insists on parking all of them in the cul de sac, which also includes outside my mums. I just pull up in front of their drive they hate it.

I can see why you might do that, sort of. However doing so is 'causing an obstruction' and they could call the police.

I have a dropped kerb in front of my garage driveway but rarely get cars parked in front of it. Infuriates me when it does happen though (about once a year).

We live on a street where there is no parking at the front, only at the rear in a courtyard.

There are 9 spaces and 6 garages.

On a normal evening there are 9 spaces taken. Then there are those that park in front of their garages (us included).

Then there are those that double park in front of their garages.

It's irritating however we are to blame as we bought a 3 storey 4 bed house without a drive or parking space (well that's strictly not true, we paid £2k for a parking space to be built on a spare piece of land/ gravel at the end of the parking spaces....ow).

It's also our fault for parking in front of the garage as you can't get a Renault Grand Scenic in the garage due to width issues or the Mini Clubman due to the width of its doors.

Finally it's our fault for having 2 cars.

I suppose that this is why we are precious about our space and get tetchy when some oik parks in it like last weekend and drops oil all over the block paving!

Al

Leej said:
I'm afraid that's incorrect as the people who tried it round here found out when they got a nice fine

We all got letters from the council about this because the parking down our street is so bad. They said that it was only out of courtesy that people shouldnt park over lowered kerbs but also the people who have lowered kerbs should show consideration to workmen etc who have no choice but to park on them when doing work and no other spaces are available.

It's all relative. I've parked outside my house for years. Doesn't entitle me to anything, but I like to be able to see the car.

Then a faimily moves into the street with two cars and park either one outside mine. Both are C1's and can fit in the tiny spaces around the corner. However they have to park in "their" street, when if they parked around the corner they are still the same distance to their car as they are the end house and can see them.

Also another family in another house has three cars. Leaves their driveway free for guests so they don't have to use a vistiors permit and park their own cars outside our house.

Yes they are entitled to and I don't say anything, but I'd still like to park outside my own house and they are not been considerate as I can't fit my car in those spaces.

I haven't said anything. As they aren't doing anything wrong. Just being inconsiderate. Just the way the world is going I'm afraid.

I end up parking a couple of streets away just to get a space.

Last edited:
Are there any rules in place regarding parking places for new builds? For example a 4 bedroom house has to have provision for 2 cars etc. Also why do newer property's tend to have a area that is to narrow for most cars. I know quite a few friends who have garages you can just about park in but would never a hope in hell of getting out.
Just seems a bit pointless to me.

We all got letters from the council about this because the parking down our street is so bad. They said that it was only out of courtesy that people shouldnt park over lowered kerbs but also the people who have lowered kerbs should show consideration to workmen etc who have no choice but to park on them when doing work and no other spaces are available.
Well as long as the workmen will move their white vans when you need to take ill babies to hospital. :)

The highway code tells you not to park in front of dropped kerbs.

It isn't a specific offence, apart from obstruction, though "Action to regulate and enforce pavement parking or parking alongside dropped kerbs is strictly a matter for the relevant local authority." So it depends on your council.

It should be a capital offence in my opinion. :D

Are there any rules in place regarding parking places for new builds? For example a 4 bedroom house has to have provision for 2 cars etc. Also why do newer property's tend to have a area that is to narrow for most cars. I know quite a few friends who have garages you can just about park in but would never a hope in hell of getting out.
Just seems a bit pointless to me.

I'm sure there are regs for new builds now. On our older property we weren't allowed to convert the garage unless we could demonstrate we had provision to park two cars off road.

I'd never block anyway in on a dropped kerb/ garage/ drive.

We have a massive parking problem in my street, but I wouldn't go as far as trying to block someone in, that's just petty.
The problem we have is two fold. We have a pub on the corner at the entrance to the street which doesn't have a car park of its own, and we're only a couple of minutes away from a major airport. This means we get cars Parker outside our houses for days and weeks at a time.
It go so bad at one point that residents of the street were having to pay £5 a day to park in the public car park a mile away because we couldn't physically get our cars in the road. Not nice when you're a young woman walking through a very scummy area on your own late at night. :(

That just drives me insane. I spend £25 a week on parking, rather then park outside someone's house at work. Also I can't be bothered with the ten minute walk from Watford centre. :)

Daddy k said:
I'd never block anyway in on a dropped kerb/ garage/ drive.

Neither would I.
Neither would I park in someone else's driveway to wait for my kids coming out of school, nor would I use someone else's driveway to turn around in a street.
But both things I have, or still do, encounter.
:-(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom