Why a lot of pricey Processors are annoying!

Paul Smith

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I think it's time for a Little rant,

I find a lot of really expensive A/V processors quite annoying, why is this you may ask, aren't they the answer to my dreams? Well no, not completely.
The reason for my annoyance is the labeling of the inputs.
Over time I have owned a small number of A/V processors and am almost always disappointed with the input labelling, Does anybody out there have equiptment which actually matches all the labelled inputs on their processor?
For Example:
Included in my setup I have a record player, a computer and two VCR's which even a Lexicon MC1 can't accomodate without using the wrong labelled inputs. Why should I have to select V-disc (or some other wrong input) on the remote/faceplate to listen to my LP's?, it's confusing.

I know this is a small quibble, and that the sound is worth it, but surely if your paying up to several thousand pounds for your processor it ought to be able to match your equiptment.

Does it annoy anybody else?? Should manufacturers take note?

Paul.
(My current Processor allows ME to label the inputs).

Just be thankful that your amp has inputs that are clearly marked as "something". My Arcam AVR200 has 8 line-level inputs which have no lables at all! The front facia has clearly marked buttons on it for all the inputs eg. cd, aux, sat, etc, but I'm buggered if I can match them all at the rear:mad:

My upgraded Denon A1SE has enough inputs to cover everything, Phono,CD,Tuner,DVD,VDP,TV,DBS/SAT,VCR1, VCR2,VCR3, V-AUX,CDR/TAPE1, MD/TAPE 2. and 5 coaxial & 6 optical inputs all assignable.:D

More than enough for me.:)

Integrated Amps do seem to cover all bases by having inputs for everything you could need and more, arguably one of the best advantages over most of the current pre/power combo's.
But why should the more expensive Processors be so poor in what they offer (the number of inputs, though limited by backpanel space, is normally enough), it's just the labelling which is a let down.

Paul.

hi

i thought all high end/expensive processors offered this, as my tag one does.

you have the option to label any input as you desire.

you can also link visual inputs to audio inputs and this makes it easier to use.

when i cycle through the inputs via the front panel, it cycles through sky, gc, xbox, ps2 etc, you get the idea.

ten

With my Theta Casablanca II, I can not only assign logical names to the input sockets, but also assign logical names to input sources as well. What more could you want? :confused:

Ten said: "when i cycle through the inputs via the front panel"

Well this is a step in the right direction, but as most people probably still control thier systems from a distance using the remote, it is still not enough.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Tag remote still has the standard labelled sources, these can't be changed, thus it's still the same confused use (hit and miss selection unless you can remember which one the source isn't).

An answer would be to buy a new remote, one which you can program the source names on, but if your processor costs thousands of pounds (when new) should you have to?, is it too much to ask for a remote of the same standard.
After all don't a lot of cheaper integrated amps come with a remote capable of this simple change.
Makes you think, (well it does me).

Paul.

p.s. Sorry, I don't know much about the Theta Casablanca II so can't comment it.

I have thought of this too. I think Pronto type remote controls should be available at a discount together with the more advanced AV amps, and standard for the high-end ones. Plus, at least the high-end amps should start replacing the tiny input labels on the display with generic labels or symbols. The point of those is really to show you where in the list is the input for which you are looking, but this does not help if much of your stuff is connected to differently labeled inputs.

Actually, I think there should be better means of integrating all components into a centralized system. Say for instance, all components would have an iLink connector and be hooked up to a control unit, which in turn could be hooked up to an tiny touchscreen display, where you could operate and monitor everyting. RS232 is getting common ...now that it is getting obsolete. They could make an iLink connector an optional module that could be installed at the users discretion.

You can't read all the tiny logos in the display from across the room anyway.

Why not just have a USB link and a palm software style thing where you can just hotsync any new settings, names etc... straight to the amp? (question not directed at anyone, just a pondering. Would this be possible?) I know my CLiE has a IR emmiter so, if I get the software, I can make it into a Pronto style, macro cabable remote. Then you could just buy a Palmspring (or whatever) with the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom