Why a DVD-RAM in a cartridge ?

M

Mar©

Yesterday I received my new Panny.
Now he seems to accept cartridge DVD-RAM's, but non-cartridge DVD-RAM's as well ?
So, cartridge DVD-RAM's are much expensive...

I wonder then what's the profit of using cartridge DVD-RAM's ?

Only protection against dust ???

( My wife cleans very well.... ;) )

The only advanatge i can see is what you already think-better protection against finger prints,dust etc etc. Never had a problem with non-cartidge ones here though!!

Now he seems to accept cartridge DVD-RAM's, but non-cartridge DVD-RAM's as well ?
Yes - it will accept both caddied and uncaddied DVD-RAMs.

I wonder then what's the profit of using cartridge DVD-RAM's ?
Better protection against damage. Although the coating protects against minor scratches etc dust can still cause problems for the disks. Careful handling can, of course, mean a caddyless disk will be just as reliable.

OK, thanks guys !!!

It's all a bit new to me, but I think I quickly will become a "DVD-junkie" - lol !

The next thing I'm working for is a huge Plasma-screen or a LCD-screen....

Which would be the best ?

The origional DVD-Rams were very fragile so they needed to be in a caddy, newer ones ver. 1.1 or 2 (can't remember which) don't need to be in a caddy but can be put in them for bakwards compatability.

Except for a hard drive, ram is probably the best format for DVD recorders because you can write to one part of the disk while reading another (and so timeslip), but when hard drive recorders come down in price i can see the RAM dissapearing so it might be worth buying a decent amount of disks for when the price of them shoots up.

Give it 2 years and you'll probably only get recorders that write to both +/-r (and +/- rw cos older drives can) and 400GB hard drives by then the +/-r discs will be down less than CD-r's are now.

:offtopic:
I once had a external CD drive for my pc and CD's needed to be put in caddies for it to read them and it was as big as a Home DVD player about 4 years ago, was only 1 speed too.

The next thing I'm working for is a huge Plasma-screen or a LCD-screen....

Which would be the best ?

Neither...Go for DLP rear instead :)

I've seen a rear pj, samsung I beleive it was in my local dixons and it was very poor, had one of the worst visible angles i've seen. The quality did look pretty good to be fair when you looked dead on but no better than a panasonic or hi end pioneer. (but the monkeys in these stores never seem to know what they are actually doing, so they might have had it connected via composite)

As far as LCD's go i'd stay away from them, for any decent size they seem to be pretty poor and cost more than a decent plasma. Only if room is a premium and you need something small 14-21 inches would i consider them and consumer ones never look as good as pc monitors either :confused: .

If i had the money i would go for a projector every time, alought the bulb might only last about 3years with average usage you'd probably upgrade a plasma or LCD in that time anyway, especially with the current speed in which they are improving. A decent DLP projector and screen will look much better and cost you less, but it could be a bit inconvient for just watching neighbours. So for that i would go for a 32 or 36 inch CRT. Although it won't look as cool as plasma and while not as convient, the picture quality would be worth it IMHO.

Hi

Except for a hard drive, ram is probably the best format for DVD recorders because you can write to one part of the disk while reading another (and so timeslip),

As you can with DVD-RW. :clap:

Regards

Philip

DVD-RAM in cartrdige should be good for 100,000 writes as opposed to in the region of 1,000 for -RW/+RW

Hi

DVD-RAM in cartrdige should be good for 100,000 writes as opposed to in the region of 1,000 for -RW/+RW

True but DVD-RW in the latest Pioneer recorders will rewrite up to 10,000 times.

Don't forget that 100,000 writes on DVD-RAM equals 200,000 hours of recordings at the 2 hour rate, the actual recorder will fail before that and will be replaced by the next best thing likely using a new format meaning the DVD-RAM discs are for the bin. It could be the case of paying extra for DVD-RAM media and never reaping the benefits perhaps?

Regards

Philip

Can you buy empty caddies to put RAM discs in for safer handling ? I've recently bought quite a few non-caddies ones and may decide to put a couple in caddies to protect them when moving them between recorders.

Can you buy empty caddies to put RAM discs in for safer handling ?
Some chaps looked into this awhile back - I believe a wholesaler supplier was found but it was deemed too much hastle to buy them due to minimum orders etc. I suppose a Google search may produce something - but your uncaddied DVD-RAMs are coated in a protective layer anyway so don't get too worked up about the whole issue.

Rasczak said:
Some chaps looked into this awhile back - I believe a wholesaler supplier was found but it was deemed too much hastle to buy them due to minimum orders etc. I suppose a Google search may produce something - but your uncaddied DVD-RAMs are coated in a protective layer anyway so don't get too worked up about the whole issue.

I still think it would be nice to stick my rams... and other dvd's in caddies, pity they arn't the same as the old cd caddies cos I have a fw of those..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom