Why 4:3 ???? Any way of changing V+ output to 16:9 permanently

marcstang

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I just had the V+ box installed this afternoon. It's connected via the hdmi connection of the TV. One annoying issue I have is that a lot of the channels broadcast in 4:3. The TV is set to Wide but all I get is a picture with 2 black bars on the side. It's driving me mad.:mad:

Just noticed that it was only set to 720 but not 720 wide :rolleyes:

Good job I have my trusty Harmony 885 so that I was able to set up the hdmi. The Virgin Media bloke run out of remotes and will have to bring one round on friday.

I have my TV set to wide and the V+ set to 720 wide and I still get borders and the side (about an inch) on some broadcasts. Doesn't happen with scart so it must be an HDMI thing.

I have my TV set to wide and the V+ set to 720 wide and I still get borders and the side (about an inch) on some broadcasts. Doesn't happen with scart so it must be an HDMI thing.

That usually happens on some BBC stuff, usually news outside broadcasts and local stuff, i think it's because they film in 4:3, then zoom in a bit, to put it into the 16:9 output of the beeb.

I think the Beeb use 14:9 for some OB stuff which is why you get thin borders.

What's the betting Hotel Babylon will be butchered to 4:3 when shown on LivingTV (when we all know it was shot 16:9)

Ho-hum!

Alot of TV adverts are 14:9. Most content on UK Tv and Discovery are 4:3 from my experience. Bravo and the music channels are 90% 4:3 aswell.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom