Why 2 centre speakers??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rhinoman, Jan 30, 2002.

1. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    In this months HCC pro install, in the main room they list 2 kef ref 200c centre speakers to accompany the ref 4.2 fronts and the 3.2 sides and 3.2 rears.

Not wishing to start a war with regard to the reasoning behind pro installs but maybe someone could explain

1) is there a good reason why 2 centres work (or don't work) well in this or any other setup?

2)If we were to use 2 centres how would we connest them up and are there things that should be considered or avoid.

Cheers:)

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One of the centre speakers are used as centre back, you can see it at the picture.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't seen the install you mention ...............if it were a big screen it may help to fix the dialogue etc to the screen better........i have seen one or two installs with two centres.

I had a Yamaha amp once with the option of having two centres could be placed top/bottom or either side of the set.

If you were to connect two centres up and your amp did not provide that connection you will have to wire them in series (but check, don't think it's parallel) so not to put extra load on your amp. But for the average home don't see any point really......

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I had a THX recommend me two 200c once, no one else could explain why however. Most agreed with me that they are like to interfere with each other, causing cancelations and suck outs at certain frequencies.

Only one centre (but two rears for 6.1).

5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    magking
    Doh:blush: Hadn't noticed that picture.

Nic said "I had a THX recommend me two 200c once, no one else could explain why however. Most agreed with me that they are like to interfere with each other, causing cancelations and suck outs at certain frequencies."

This was something along the lines of something I vaguely remember reading a while ago. I just wondered what anybody else had heard/experienced.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    They should be wired in parallel, not in series. My amp has also connections for two centers but driven from the same amplification stage (internally), haven't tried it though.
    Probably it's only usefull for very large screens.