1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whuch one please?? advice needed!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by hssc11045, Jul 10, 2004.

1. hssc11045

hssc11045

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like many others am going to buy my first dvd recorder soon.
    I have a Toshiba 36" (model 36ZP38D) and have seen great reviews for both the toshiba RDX32 and Panasonic E-85.
    I am not looking to use any features relating to digital camcorders etc, just purely recording and playing back tv stuff.
    Are there any toshiba owners who can advise me is it better to go for the toshiba or go with the panasonic?? Honest advice would be appreciated. Any niggles or benefits for both would also be helpful.
    If there are any other machines close to being released in the same price range I would also be greatful for any pointers!!!!
    Finally any links to the best prices available for both players would be greatfully appreciated :)

Thanks

2. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think you should look at the Pioneer 520/720 which has far superior copying, dubbing speeds and facilities. It can copy from HD to DVD-R at up to 48 speed using 8x media.
    The Toshiba is certainly very powerful when it comes to editing etc. but the view on here is that it can be quite complicated.
    I too am waiting to buy and I would choose between the Tosh and the Pioneers.
    What video gave the Pioneer 720 five stars and concluding it was a superb machine.

3. hssc11045

hssc11045

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the lightening quick response m8!!!!

Will have a look at that one now

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    The Pioneer range certainly has faster dubbing but it's features are a poor comparison to the Toshiba. The latter has component output, progressive scan, DVD-RAM and considerably better authoring facilities (ability to specify menu backgrounds, thumbnails etc). I would argue (although it is of course subjective) that Toshiba RX32 offers better DVD playback as well. Certainly more people here have opted for the Toshiba RX32...

Have a read of the latest Home Cinema Choice where the RX32 is compared to the equivalent Pioneer 520 - the Toshiba came out on top. I should suspect the same will occur when the Toshiba RX33 is pitted against the 720 given how similar both units are to there little brothers.

It's true the Toshiba is more complex - but then if you want ease of use your going to be much better opting for a Panasonic IMHO.

5. Lyricman

Lyricman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would agree with what you say Ras, but I am primarily concerned with recording to HD and then creating a compilation to write to DVD -R or RW. I am not too concerned with component and progressive scan as in my opinion their is no apparent difference to my eye between RGB and component. As far as progressive scan I demo'd the Tosh RX32 connected to the Panny PD30 using component and progressive scan and compared it side to side with a Pioneer connected with RGB to a Philips 9509 and I preferred the philips pic over the PD30. I played with all the settings for some time but still preferred the Philips. Only my opinion.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    what about panasonics DMR85? currently HCC's number one dvd recorder! Although there is the DMR95 out this mont/Aug with a 160GB HDD. Might be worth waiting for. If you have the extra money. :)

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    In which case the Toshiba still should come out on top due to it's menu design options...

The Panasonic E85 is a very good recorder. If you want an easy to use, effective HDD/DVDR then you can do alot worse than buy the Panasonic E85. Of particular note the current Panasonic machines can manage upto 3 hours at full resolution - as opposed the Toshiba 2hr 18mins and the Pioneer 2hrs 20mins. That is why Home Cinema Choice (a magazine aimed at enthusiasts) rate it so highly.

The Panasonic E95 adds all the features stripped from the E85 to make it cheap:
    - MPEG4 recording
    - iLink
    - PC/SD Card Slots
    ...and a larger HDD (160GB). So if those features are of interest then look at the Panasonic E95.

8. Ishlin

Ishlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *Very* interesting, could you elaborate? Let's say I record a 3-hour program, will a Panny E85 always record in full resolution? Or can I choose from a menu whether to have full resolution with more compression or half resolution with less compression?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    There isn't really much to elaborate on - like all other companies Panasonic (now on it's forth generation set-top MPEG2 encoding chip) has just pushed back previous limitations.

Panasonic are not the best: LG recorder records upto 4 hours in full resolution, Thompson records 3hrs, Philips records 2hrs 30mins, Toshiba and Pioneer about 2hrs 20mins. Depending on how much you record to a DVD-R will affect how important this is to you: personally I never record more than 90mins to a single disk.

Not really - it's an automated process that is just a statement on the encoding ability of the machine. You can set Automatic VBR Resolution to OFF which will stop the machine changing resolutions during a recording - you can then record in LP or FR180+ knowing that you will be using the lower res (or knowing you will be using the higher res above that).

10. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be noted that the more you record to disk the less reliable it becomes. This is also why 80mins cd are less reliable and compatible across cd players than the original 74 minute ones. Yes, they work but not as well and not as consistently. Same with 4 hour dvds compared to 2hr 20 min ones. You will find long term they take much longer to load and are less reliable. Adding features (after the orginal spec has been set) is always a bad idea and done purely for marketing.

11. Ishlin

Ishlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this information... certainly the idea of recoding 2.5+ hour movies on a single disk has appeal, but it sounds like something one should think twice about doing, even if the machine is capable of it.