Question Whs 2011 & Apple tv

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by RobTi, Aug 24, 2018.

1. RobTi

RobTi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Hi I have a whs that is just sitting storing media now that I have moved the htpc from living room to spare bedroom. So my question is is there anyway to wake and put the server to sleep using an Apple TV, then I can use an app to view my files ?
    Thanks

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    The technology you are looking for is called "Wake On LAN" (WOL to is chums.)

It works by having the target device shut down in a "special" way that is wake-able (WOL'able) in response to receiving a "magic packet" that tells it to wake up. And of course, there needs to be something that is capable of sending the magic packets.

You will need to assess whether the WHS hardware and OS are capable of being put to sleep so that they are WOL'able and whether your ATV can send the magic packets when required to wake up the target.

The latter is likely to be the "easier" part - even if your ATV doesn't do it, doubtless there will be a tablet/phone App that can and there are certainly Windows/MacOS/Linux Apps that do.

The "harder" part is going to be whether you can shut down the WHS device so it's wake-able. Certainly, plenty of Windows OS's support it, (though I haven't used WHS so can't say for sure,) but you'll need to check out your hardware to see if it has the requisite capabilities. It's generally down to the power supply, the mother board and the network interface card (NIC.)

The PSU needs to be capable of supplying power to the NIC even when the machine is "off," the NIC needs to be capable of responding to a magic packet and thence signalling the PSU to turn itself "on" and supply power to everything else and (probably) the MOBO needs to allow one to talk to the other. There might be also some BIOS settings that need to be tweaked to enable WOL.

To put the server to sleep, you'd generally have to log in to it an tel it to power off/sleep. Easy enough using a remote terminal connection (again, you might have to enable remote access on WHS if it's not on by default) and there's apps for remote terminals for tablets/phone if you don't have a Windows client. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if your ATV could do it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,157
    MrMC the fork of Kodi (XBMC) for AppleTV & has some form of WOL support, there is a thread here from May this year asking for magic packet support and it was added into the test builds of MrMC. I'm not sure if it has made it way to release versions but thats at least one way of waking up the server.

Though another issue is SMB shares & getting access to them in MrMC, WHS is pretty old at this point, I cant recall what it supports but it likely does SMB v1, if not & it's SMB v2 or later you must go into the MrMC SMB client settings and change over to libdsm, then when on add network location you must provide a user name and password to login.

4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    WHS2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2 and thus supports SMB 2.1

5. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: