1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whos your fav region one supplier?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GarethH, Mar 7, 2001.

1. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have used a few suppliers over the last few years.

Best Service: Disc Emporium - They may cost £2-3 extra but all DVD's have turned up 2 weeks before the release date, sometimes earlier.

Best Value & Service: Future Entertainment - Cheap and DVD's have turned up about a week before the release date (sometimes ealier).

2. jonny

jonny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definatly Disc Emporium for reliability early dispatch. Play for price and also reliability

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'm gonna give Amazon.com another try in April/May (X-Files S3, Superman, that kinda thing).

Last time I used 'em was last Autumn, just as they started going via New York & Zurich....

4. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jonny,

Sorry, but the only thing I found Play reliable for was taking ages to process my orders, not having what I wanted in stock and not answering emails. While other people here seem to have had none of these problems, Play have blown it for me.

Of course, there is that wonderful excuse offered here about the little plane from Jersey not being big enough to hold the dvds...hilarious, but I suspect a Play staff member of that one [​IMG]

5. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There has been big change in the last six months. I remember Play & Movietyme being the only ones to really get movies from. Now there are loads of new companies which seem to offer a good service.

A few months back i complained about Play, but recently their service has picked up. Ok so they dont release them before the release date, but they are still pretty good.

I think if everybody posts a little list of their views on each supplier, we can gather up a good list of who is the best. So here goes:

Play247 (www.play247.com)
    Speed (Released DVD's) = 9/10
    Speed (Non-Released DVD's) = 4/10
    Value = 8/10
    Customers Service = 5/10
    Overall= 7/10

Disc Emporium (www.discemporium.com)
    Speed (Non-Released DVD's) = 10/10
    Value = 6/10
    Customers Service = 9/10
    Overall= 9.5/10

Movietyme (www.movietyme.com)
    Speed (Released DVD's) = 3/10
    Speed (Non-Released DVD's) = 5/10
    Value = 8/10
    Customers Service = 3/10
    Overall = 3/10

Future Entertainment (www.futureent.com)
    Speed (Non-Released DVD's) = 9/10
    Value = 8/10
    Customers Service = 7/10
    Overall = 9/10

Have not tried any others, but if people post their personal points, then we can get a good idea.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by GarethH (edited 09-03-2001).]

6. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I’ve defended Play so many times I’m boring myself now! [​IMG]

Until this week, when I got The Rock for £10 less at Movietyme, I’ve only ever used Play and have ordered somewhere around 40 discs from them, stretching back a little over a year. Every single time they’ve given me nothing less than a first class service, they are one of the cheapest suppliers around - by no means the cheapest, but low enough for me - and 9 times out of 10 the delivery is quick.

Meet the Parents turned up on my doormat 3 days b4 release, and I finally got round to ordering What Lies Beneath on Monday and it turned up yesterday.

The only minor niggle I have is that they don’t have a huge volume of R1 titles, but as I usually only go for the ‘big’ ones then that’s not really a problem either (for me).

So for Play...

Service: 10
    Price: 9
    Speed: 10
    Range: 8

TOTAL SCORE: 9

After my one and only experience with Movietyme I’d probably have to give them 10 as they have been faultless with my Rock order, but it’s not really fair of me to rate them off the back of a single order. [​IMG]

7. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've only ever used Movietyme and they've always been excellent.A couple of times(Gladiator and Phantom Menace LD)the discs have taken a little longer than I anticipated but these were very popular titles and my queries on both were dealt with promptly and efficiently.

8. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Without a doubt Movietyme are the best for me - I always get my discs early (The 6th Day arrived this morning [​IMG]), they're very cheap and they're finally sorting out their website....

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

9. jmlane

jmlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can people please quote web addresses as I and many others would probably like to check some of these sites out.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    For speed, service, accuracy etc., (but not necessarily price) I choose www.laservisual.com

11. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ***** www.play247.com *****
    for me, this company are faultless, the only thing that SLIGHTLY lets them down is the choice of reg 1 titles.
    9/10
    ordered 'meet the parents' late monday night, arrived friday morning. just watched it, FANTASTIC, and very funny.
    mark p.

12. KOE

KOE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I used to use play 100% of the time, but they have recently let me down on 2 occasions, one being waiting for Star trek generations since 23rd feb, and it's still not hear.
    And second being, They dont stock The road to El Dorado r1, I ordered this from www.dmlsales.com (£15.99)late on monday night, it arrived wednesday morning [​IMG]
    Play have never been that fast, and I am quickley loosing my confidence with them.

Tim

------------------
    You are not Jadzia....Jadzia has gone to Stovacore

[This message has been edited by Timh (edited 11-03-2001).]

14. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My latest faves are www.absound.ca/music/dvd/dvd.html Crap website, but prices are only just beaten by Box office (who are sh 1 tee now). I've not had one disc take longer than 8 days for delivery yet. And that was an out of stock item! Also, I believe that they are a chain of shops in Canada, so theres a little bit more security.
    I also used Play from time to time too. Never had any probs with them.

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 12-03-2001).]

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used Play, Movietyme, and DVDWorld before now, but for the last 18 months have only used WWW.dvdboxoffice.com. I have ordered over 100 discs from them and their prices and customer service is excellent. The only flaw is that on average it takes aprox 10 days for delivery.

16. Jason_B

Jason_B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always used Play247 and never had a problem. I ordered The Rock for 34.99 not realising it was available for less. AFter reading this forum I was going to cancel and place the order elsewhere. I logged on to do this, and noticed that Play247 have dropped the price to 25.99 - hat has certainly made my day (I know small things....)