Who's using a Mini in the lounge for media instead of ATV?

gilford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of replacing my ATV with the new Mac Mini and using it for all my media in the lounge.

Can anyone give me some info as to how good it is at this job?

I've currently got a 27" iMac in the home office with all my movies, music and photo's on an external HD. I have got the ATV to store all my music and photo's locally so I can listen and view without the iMac being turned on and just have the 10 most recent unwatched films stored on the ATV.

If I was to bin the ATV and replace with the Mini how does the music sharing work? Will it copy all of my music library and store it locally as my ATV does? The same with the pics?

Can you rent movies etc the same as the ATV using Front Row or does it have to be done through iTunes?

Any help appreciated as always lads :smashin:

sorry buddy, only just noticed this post... i've posted a partial answer in this thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/apple-computers-os-software/1271716-redesigned-mac-mini-3.html

HTH :)

You can rent HD films through iTunes now you know :smashin:

I could just copy my iTunes library over to the mini and authorise it as one of my 5, but then there is the simplicity of the ATV and auto updating? Hmm.....

I think I will hold out for a while and see if Apple update the ATV :confused:

You can rent HD films through iTunes now you know :smashin:

I could just copy my iTunes library over to the mini and authorise it as one of my 5, but then there is the simplicity of the ATV and auto updating? Hmm.....

I think I will hold out for a while and see if Apple update the ATV :confused:

can you? Haven't looked for a while...

To be honest mate, i think i've talked myself out of going for the mini and sticking with ATV and getting an iMac to act as the server.

Decisions decisions...

I bet by the time i'm ready to buy the iMac Apple will announce the new ATV and that will throw everything up in the air again :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom