Who's still buying 3D?

Do you still buy 3D?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jagdeepp

Ex Member
Reaction score
Ok, had my projector since the beginning of December. I've now hit 100 hours. Only around 6 hours of it are made up of 3D viewing. I suspect I won't hit anymore than the same within the next 100 hours.

Popping into any retail outlets I now don't bother paying a premium for 3D and stick to good ol' 2D. I have 5 purchased 3d movies: Dredd, Nemo, Life of Pi, Avatar and Avengers. Others i've rented or bought and sold off.

Recently, I've started sticking to 2D even when 3D is an option.. eg Rise Of the Guardian, MIB 3 etc.

Quite frankly, i can't be bothered with 3D anymore. I'm bored of it. I don't like sitting for 2+ hours with dark glasses on my face. Unless I have masses of pop out sequences to enjoy i cant be bothered. My 2D on my large screen is immersive enough. I enjoyed Skyfall in 2d and it was so clean it almost looked 3D. I preferred that to any experience I've had with 3D. Even Life of Pii whilst ok in parts got a little boring.

How many of you are still buying and enjoying 3D. Interested to know..

Whose the clever one who spotted that i'd spelt "who's" wrong in the title.

Last edited:
I will still opt for 3d over 2d. Personally looking forward to the Hobbit and many others. I do enjoy a good 2d film, but I love a good bit of something swimming in your cinema room or poking you in the eye.

I don't think the directors have got it right yet, but I am hearing good things about Jurrasic Park amongst others.

In regards to the glasses, I wear glasses anyway so to me it makes little difference.

Given that I have a 3D TV, where the choice exists, I go 3D everytime. Having said that, trying to get my 6 year old daughter to wear the glasses can be as big of a battle as finding decent 3D content itself ;)

Where's the "None of above, I have a 3D PJ and 3D TV, but can't stand 3D" option? :suicide:

My brother has 3D and I thought about it when I was buying a 2nd set gor the extension. He rarely uses it and I wasnt overly impressed so I just went for a no frills 60" samsung.
I have watched a fair few 3D at his house but apart from a couple of films I find them underwhelming.
The Disney ones are good

I like the idea of 3D but there's just nothing outstanding out there at the moment.. I don't have a projector so that could be part of the reason why I'm not too bothered ( it just dosen't do much on a normal sized tv ) Avatar was good in the cinema but if you've ever been to the theme parks in Florida it's nothing compared to the likes of Shrek 4D, A bugs life, honey I shrank the audience etc.. When that kind of level becomes available in the home I'll get involved

I like the odd 3D movie,not sure if I want to paid a premium price everytime :)

This. I've got a 3DTV, I'll occasionally pay extra for a 3D version of a film I particularly like, but to be honest, there haven't really been any good ones. Mostly it's rentals from Lovefilm.

Despite having Sky 3d and both a PS3 and a 360 both capable of doing 3D games, I really don't bother with 3D much at all now the initial novelty has worn off.

I bought a 55" LG Christmas time. I've only watched a few films at all 2d/3d so far due to having a restless 20 month old so can't turn my sub on or have the volume up very loud in the nights. Puts me off watching them....
....anyway so far I'm not overly impressed with Sky 3d but I've been pretty impressed with the blu rays. Titanic 3d looks very nice and I watched My Bloody Valentine last week.
My biggest issue and what I'm starting to get frustrated with is the sheer amount of settings within the tv. I'm not an av tech wizard so I have no idea how to get the picture spot on. My Sony S790 has one button called 'Direct' and that's all you need to press!! Why can't the tv be that simple?!?

I would probably watch more 3D if my projector was better at delivering it (JVC X7) the 2D is stunning though :smashin:

I have a fair few 3D discs but this year have almost completely watched 2D, to the point where 3D is rendered almost redundant in my house. My wife doesn't like it as she wears glasses and complains about a reflection. My eyes get tired too. I have Avatar 3D and plan to watch that (haven't seen it since the cinema) and would like to see Life of Pi in 3D but apart from those I'm none too fussed about 3D.

Jag, where is the option for 'I still buy 3d, but only when it is a a discounted price.'

I'm in the same boat with 3d. I have only ever bought the odd new release but I tend to wait until the price drops or they become on offer. The only time I would purchase the 2d over 3d version would be if the 3d was poorly converted, such as The Avengers, which was truly an awful conversion job so in no way warranted the extra layout. If there is the odd conversion I'm not sure of I rent from LoveFilm to make the decision with my own eyes.

Overall I feel studios need to lay off the 3d and concentrate on the script more, only using 3d if it is integral to the story.

I love 3D...but I tend to check reviews first before buying or I'll sell straight away if it disappoints.

I don't see 3D as a chore if the movie is worth it. I see it as a treat, if I watch one good 3D movie a month I'm happy :)

I always find it interesting when folks say they don't want to pay a premium for 3D. I've got best part of 100 3D discs now, and with the exception of maybe three that I bought in the States, I don't think I've ever paid a premium.

Just thinking on recent purchases.

The Hobbit £15.99
Top Gun about £16 from the US after postage
Dredd about £14 from the US after postage
Prometheus, was that £15 at Sainsburys on release?

Do I watch 3D films all the time? No, but I don't watch live concerts all the time either but I'll still buy them.

I like 3D, and I think it's safe to say it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

It is nice to have the choice,i have had a sony kdl40-hx803 since 2010 and do enjoy a good 3D Blu-ray.And the 2d picture on a 3d ready tv looks great.

I dont have a 3D TV but occasionally get 3D discs when they are cheap or same price as the 2D option as you get the 2D version of the film as well.

I currently have Avengers/Coraline/Finding Nemo/Prometheus/Saw VII

What's 3D? ;)

Started to feel 3d movies were nothing special and not worth the extra cash, then I watched Finding Nemo and The Hobbit on 110" screen.

Faith in 3d restored.

I have a Panasonic 50VT20, but the fact that the glasses aren't the most comfortable combined with the alarming rate of knots at which batteries are consumed has really slowed my purchase rate, particularly considering the extra premium involved.

If a 3d option is available, i'll always buy it. I don't necessarily watch it, but i like to have the option...

I still buy 3D and love it. Recently watched Prometheus again, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Wreck it Ralph and the benchmark 3D movie - Avatar, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I even bought a new 55" 3D TV to get a more immersive experience, I've only had my 47" a year but that's now in the bedroom so I have 3D in both :) I don't think I'll ever get bored of it, recently bought The Hobbit which I can't wait to watch and am looking forward to Iron Man 3 and The Wolverine among others on 3D blu when they're released

I just paid full price to Amazon for The Hobbit but before it arrived two days later they sent a message "You saved £4.01 with Amazon.co.uk's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price", closely followed by "We are writing to confirm that we are processing your refund in the amount of £4.01 for your Order. This amount has been credited to your payment method and will appear when your bank has processed it".
:thumbsup::clap:
The only problem is that Jackson made even more of a mess of it than he did for LOTR.

Last edited:
I still buy 3D and love it. Recently watched Prometheus again, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc, Wreck it Ralph and the benchmark 3D movie - Avatar, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I even bought a new 55" 3D TV to get a more immersive experience, I've only had my 47" a year but that's now in the bedroom so I have 3D in both :) I don't think I'll ever get bored of it, recently bought The Hobbit which I can't wait to watch and am looking forward to Iron Man 3 and The Wolverine among others on 3D blu when they're released

Just curious who you used to buy Finding Nemo and Wreck it Ralph from and how long it took to arrive as I am looking to import these myself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom