1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's running a wireless DVD jukebox/server?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by mark88, Nov 2, 2004.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thinking of building a server up in the loft with a few 250-300GB drives to act as a media server via my house's wireless G network. I'm sure it'll cope fine with audio's files, but unsure how responsive it will be with large VOB files, searching, scene selection and wot not.

I've tried opening a few DVD rips over the network and they seem to work pretty OK, after the intial lag, they search fine. But I wondered what experiences anyone else has had with such a set up? The idea of being able to hide away all my DVD's and have a huge array of storage on 24/7 up in the loft is VERY appealing.

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    One issue you need to consider is the extremes of temperature that you get in the loft in summer versus winter, which could cause issues. Also wireless throughput varies depending on distance/obstacles, so that could also cause some problems. If you are still feeling brave enough you could do some tests with say a laptop to up there to see how it performs?

good luck

3. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You're right about the heat. The loft is converted actually but in summer it does really get hot. For the last couple years I've had a shuttle up there with 2x200GB drives inside, on 24x7 networked. The connection is pretty good, I have two wireless networks in my house. One on the 1st floor, one on the ground floor. So I can pick and choose.

I do worry about the heat if I'm honest but so far never had any problems. In the summer in the past I often have a full size external fan pointed at the shuttle.

4. saggio

saggio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark88,
    I have had main PC in loft for long time, has not fried yet.... It is connected to Lounge PC (ground floor) by wireless G (54 MBPS).
    I have tried to stream DVDs from loft to lounge with mixed results. Sometimes (quite regurarly, actually) the link drops in speed to 24 MBPS, and that is enough to make the DVD playback freeze and skip.
    Unfortunaltely you are at the mercy of the link speed. If you can guarantee that, you will have no problems.

5. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I might try one of the super G 108mbps routers, any speed increase is obviously a bonus

6. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i use my pc as a jukebox audio out comes from my pc to my amp in my living room use my e740 wifi as remote for media player works a treat

7. Higgers

Higgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used to use an access point at the top of the house to stream files to a PC in the cellar. Eventually, after much grief and moving of antennae, I bit the bullet and fitted a cat5e cable down the outside of the house. I know that isn't practical and each person's circumstances are different but I'm really glad I did it. No more stuttering files, lost connections (for no reason I could fathom), etc. Nice.

Just my 2p.

8. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to stream video files then wireless really wont do not even these new 108mb/s cards which are just 54'g' specs on steroids, I was using wireless, infact i still am, the house is being wired up next week, but if your talking about creating a file server than you really should operate a wired LAN, the reliability is amazing, if u use 5e and a gigethernet NIC than you hav a 1000mb/s connection and streaming your files will be a lot easyer.

9. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My 54mbps wireless network has mixed results, Ive done some tests. Playing R1 Shrek, widescreen, over the network(uncompressed) it does stutter, more so than not, so it's obviously too much, some sections will play fine however. I can play all the 4:3 extras and documentaries perfect though, without any problems.

*If* super G can double the speed of G, then I would hazard a guess it would be fine.