Who's happy with their HDDVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by howieeb, Apr 28, 2007.

1. howieeb

howieeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm about to join the HDDVD club but have been shocked about the negative reports of the Toshiba players floating around here - scenes skipping, lip sync problems, motion judder etc

Someone give me some piece of mind by telling me these things actually do work :)

(i'm planning on getting the E1 to go with a TW1000 btw - good combo?)

2. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    This forum does seem to attract a lot of wingers.I would like to point out there are far more happy customers of both the E1 and XE1 out there who have nothing to complain about than the few very vocal ones who do..I'm not saying there aren't genuine problems with lipsync over analogue etc but there are far more happy customers enjoying fantastic HD movies on hd than people with problems.
    These forums can give the casual observer completely the wrong impression because happy customers generally speaking post a lot less than unhappy ones.
    In my opinion the XE1 has the potential to be a truly great player if you are prepared to accept the fact that it is not perfect at the moment and will evolve over time you will eventually be rewarded with a great player

3. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,164
    I have the Tosh HD-E1 and have been delighted with it. Absolutley NO problems with it whatsoever and the performance has been first class. Tremendous with HD-DVDs and superb upscaling of my existing R2 discs.

For the money, I think the HD-E1 is excellent value - there was a poll done on this very subject a couple of months ago as I was concerned too that there seemed to be a lot of reported problems.

However, the poll showed (IIRC) that over 85% of owners were very happy and didn't have any problems at all. I think the complaints rise to the surface as it is not very often someone would post on here that they love their kit - apart from me now!

I can heartily recommend my Tosh player to anyone!

4. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I've had the HD-E1 since the tail end of December and it has never messed up on me or caused me any grief. The HD output is fantastic and upscaling of SD is top notch.

I believe it's the cheapest way to get into HD and for the prices you can pick up a HD-E1 now makes it a steal!

Cheers
    Moosh

5. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,164
    Spot on - £251 from here inc delivery is awesome and a bargain - I paid £318 from the same place a couple of months ago - go and buy one now! The HD-XE1 has dropped significantly too and can also be had for bargain prices £475 at the same website HERE is unbelievable value for such a cracking player. RRP is £699 on that!

6. MoFoHo

MoFoHo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi there. I have the HD-XE1 and am also delighted with it. Most discs are very good with terrific sound. yes it would be nice if some other manufacterers made HD-DVD players, but for the now, the XE1 in particular is built like a battleship! VERY solid looking player!:)

7. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Warbie

I've had the A1 for almost a year and of the 70+ HD DVD's I own it's never failed to play any. Once or twice I've needed to clean the discs and it froze on me twice during this period. The E1 is more refined but don't expect it to operate as quick as a DVD player.

Motion judder is due to inverse telecine and not a fault of the player (it's also a problem with BD @ 60hz as well). A display with good video processings (some Pioneers) will eliminate the problem even with film material at 60hz ouput.

With a good display the results are breathtaking and you can forgive some of the quirks.

AVI

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I'm a G1 user and have read all the 'winger' comments as well about HD DVD players, my reality here has been very different however and very positive unlike my first 6 months with BD.

9. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Is it true that the SD dvd is nearly as good as the denon 2930 on the xe-1

10. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    You see what I mean!
    Happy customers just need a bit more of a nudge.
    Newcomers to these forums mostly only see negative thread after negative thread because the majority of happy customers are off enjoying a great hd movies and don't want to waste valuable viewing time talking about it .
    Go ahead buy your player and enjoy!
    (Just don't try and and use analogue audio):rotfl:

11. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Yep,on par or better i would say.

12. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    The xe1 uses the exactly same video processing chip as the £650 Denon. The now £500 XE1 is a no brainer IMO.

13. davidjohnson

davidjohnson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,440
    It is human nature to post about problems.
    The only time you get people posting about trouble free experiences is in response to a lot of complaints, as in this case.

I have had faults with my first gen player, but these were mostly corrected by firmware upgrades and disc cleaning. I am not too bothered about these little hassles because I am able to enjoy the hi-def experience and build my software collection, while waiting for more reliable players to arrive :thumbsup:

14. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    Am i happy with my HD dvd player,YES!
    Love my Xe1.Have had zero problems from day one with this player and i'm really glad i jumped into high definition dvd.

15. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Yep. Go for it. Great players (I have the XE1). There are issues but they are quite minor (more annoying then anything) and 90% of discs play O.K. (just Universal combos seem to be problematic). The LFE and lip-sync issues are there but hopefully will be sorted by firmware. Go get a HD-DVD player now... it's a great step up!

16. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,002
    No LFE or lip synch issues on my set-up.Flawless audio over analogs or HDMI from the Xe1.Cheers.

17. Paulie-W

Paulie-W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +493

I`m very happy with my E1 so far. Only ever had one "stuck on menu" problem, but that was resolved by just turning the thing off and on again. Since then it`s been absolutely fine. At the price they are now, i can only say go for it :smashin:

18. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I'm still very happy with my HD-E1 even after a whole week of owning it :rotfl:
    only had one disc that didn't play "relentless enemies" and yesterday's toshiba software upgrade to v1.5 solved that problem.
    hat's off to toshiba :thumbsup:
    just get one and start enjoying the hi def experience,
    you'll spend a lot of time looking like this .......:eek: and this..... :D

19. tausifs

tausifs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
    I have an A1. Absolutely no complaints and a very proud owner. I don't even find the 5.1 analogue out levels an insoluble problem. TrueHD rocks !

20. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    whats the main diffrnce between the XE1 and HD-E1 ??

I no the XE1 comes with a fancy controle anything else ?

21. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    • HDMI 1.3 socket
    • 5.1 analogue sound output rather than stereo (gives full uncompressed audio if you don't have HDMI 1.3 on your amp/receiver).
    • Up to 1080p output
    • Reon processor for SD upscaling (according to some, the best on the market)

Moosh

22. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    The XE1 also adds a Coax digital audio output.

23. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I've a generation one player bought last July and I wouldn't part with it. Toshiba has done a respectable job of updating the players to solve or improve difficiencies and add new capabilities.

It would be nice if they were perfect, but given the realities of new technology (this is still the first year), I certainly can't complain. Mine pretty reliably does what I ask of it and I try to keep my requests conservative :). It plays with no glitches, though the need to clean a disc -- as with DVD -- is always a possibility.

As I said -- I wouldn't part with it :)!

24. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    will give you £10000000000000000 for it - will you part with it now ?

25. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,811
    I had a HD-D1 which was temperamental. Don't get me wrong, the AV performance was still superb and the build quality is far better than the E1, but it was too hit and miss for me to live with (discs not loading, totally random disc skips/freeze-ups etc).

I sold the D1, went for an E1 and I've been very happy so far. Still had a couple of issues, but it appears to be much more stable than my D1 (I haven't even upgraded the E1 firmware from 1.1 yet!).

26. AES256

AES256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Had my XE1 for a couple of months now and watched some forty HD DVDs and probably some seventy to eighty SD DVDs with it so far, and can only say that it's been an absolute pleasure and changed the way I watch movies at home.

Newer films often look better than at the cinema where, unless you're lucky it seems, the picture is often slightly blurred. Watching HD DVDs at home, the picture is crystal clear and the discs only cost a few pounds more than a cinema ticket.

The real revelation for me though has been the older classics on HD DVD; especially The Searchers and Casablanca are stunning and give a good idea of what it probably was like going to see them on the big screen back in the 40s/50s :)
    But other oldies like Grand Prix, The Sting, Mutiny on the Bounty, Enter the Dragon, Bullitt and The Adventures of Robin Hood look great as well.

I've also discovered some really good movies that I'd never seen before but rented on SD just to see what they were because they'd been released on HD DVD. The World's Fasted Indian, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Jet Li's Fearless, Cinderella Man and The Matador come to mind.

27. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Only if it's in Gilt-Edged Securities backed by the Royal Exchequer :)!

28. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hia fellas im in the hunt for a hd dvd player and am looking to the tosh e1 and i was wondering if my amp would decode it, it works fine with my present sd player

29. Adam_uk

Adam_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have an XE1- bi slow loading up, but other than that its great.

Had a tiny bit of lip sync on one disc, but other than that its amazing!

30. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    You will be limited to TOSlink connection beacuse IIRC your amp does not support HDMI or 5.1 analogue (E1 doesn't have analogue anayway).

This means no support for Dolby TrueHD but low def audio should be OK if not a better due to increased bit rates.

AVI