Who's getting iPad Pro 10.5?

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Who's getting iPad pro 10.5? I must say I'm tempted. I currently have a 9.7 iPad Pro 128GB and the equivalent now seems to be the 256GB Pro. Those who do go ahead and get the new 10.5 will, of course have to get a new case, further increasing the price.

Another thing I'd get, should I decide to buy, is the cellular version. I often take my current Pro to the office and have to tether to my iPhone. I just think getting a cellular iPad would be more convenient, if (again!) more expensive.

Anyway, just wondering what others are thinking and planning to do?

Slimshaney

I've got the 10.5" 256Gb Silver wifi iPad Pro.

I had the last 12.9" 128Gb Silver wifi iPad Pro.

The 12.9" was brilliant, however I found myself not travelling with it - due to the size, so I was glad when rumours of the 10.5" started to appear and the official announcement was made.

Had a play with both the 12.9" and 10.5" in Currys on the day of release and decided the 10.5" would suit me better of the two. It's has big enough workspace for my needs, without the extra size/weight of the 12.9".

I use it mainly for the Adobe mobile apps, and Office apps.

The 10.5" screen size/resolution is brilliant and perfectly fine for my usage.

The quality of the screen is fantastic, and the power is more than I need. Apple Pencil usage is noticeably better in the Adobe apps that I use (not that it was anywhere near bad on the old Pro).

I don't need the cellular version - tethering or wifi is fine.

I got an OK but cheap folio case from Amazon for it for now. Once more cases appear ill get a better one. I had a STM DUX Plus for the old Pro, so will no doubt get the 10.5" version when it's available. Great case, and has a space for the Pencil.

Really happy with the purchase.

Ta,
Shane.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Went to Apple today and picked up my new 10.5 iPad. I took my old 9.7 silicon case that had a minute tear in it and they let me use the value of that (refund) off the new Smart Keyboard. So paid £104 for that here in the U.K. Good stuff!

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Did you decide on the cellular version or Wi-Fi only?

I Went for the cellular version. For two reasons; one, when I'm at my girlfriends her wifi is crap and two, I sometimes take my iPad to work where there is no wifi.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
I just have a £5 a month sim from giffgaff that gives me 500mb's. going to look at EE but I think they're expensive?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've always had a cellular iPad (on my 4th now) as it gives you more choice. I just buy a PAYG data sim from eBay, sometimes the Three Network but lately EE as they have better 4G coverage around Scotland. I buy a 6GB data sim for around £15-£18 (I've used eBay sellers "ebs" and "Prepaymania...both reliable and trustworthy) which lasts 3 months and just replace it when it runs out.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
I've always had a cellular iPad (on my 4th now) as it gives you more choice. I just buy a PAYG data sim from eBay, sometimes the Three Network but lately EE as they have better 4G coverage around Scotland. I buy a 6GB data sim for around £15-£18 (I've used eBay sellers "ebs" and "Prepaymania...both reliable and trustworthy) which lasts 3 months and just replace it when it runs out.

I thought you couldn't carry data over? I thought it ran out after a month?

Dave M

Distinguished Member

Have you got a link? Can't find either on eBay?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I thought you couldn't carry data over? I thought it ran out after a month?

The EE data SIM's are available in various lengths, 1 month, 3 months, 12 months etc.
I usually buy the 3 month ones and get 2GB per month.
Just remember it's a "Data" SIM you need and they're listed separately from your usual mobile SIMs.

AidenL

I bought a 10.5" Space Grey 256gig cellular.

Midnight blue Smart Cover and a Bestskinsever skin on the way for the back.

Grabbed a pencil too, but not using it much. I'm no artist..... :(

antsims

Distinguished Member
Got mine. Love it. However can't get o2s offer of the free 12 months office 365 to work. I'll call them tomorrow.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Got mine. Love it. However can't get o2s offer of the free 12 months office 365 to work. I'll call them tomorrow.

Did you get it on contract? If so how much? I got mine from John Lewis and using a giffgaff sim for £5 a month. Only 500mbs but enough for me.

antsims

Distinguished Member
Did you get it on contract? If so how much? I got mine from John Lewis and using a giffgaff sim for £5 a month. Only 500mbs but enough for me.
Yes on contract. Already had the pro 9.7 on contract. As I'm on refresh I only had to pay £29.99 to upgrade and the monthly fee is the same with 2gb of data now. I recycled my old pro with them which balanced out what I owed on the contract.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
@Dave M

Can you please check your FaceTime camera?

I just tried my first time FaceTime call and before I did I noticed my face (before the call) was out of focus and sort of blurry

Is this the case with yours?

Dave M

Distinguished Member
@Dave M

Can you please check your FaceTime camera?

I just tried my first time FaceTime call and before I did I noticed my face (before the call) was out of focus and sort of blurry

Is this the case with yours?

Mine looks fine. I look as ugly as ever! I don't use FaceTime. It's just the same front facing camera isn't it?

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Saw this but it's a couple of years old?; "I figured out what was going on. It turns out that the camera becomes clear when a FaceTime call is started. It stays blurry until a FaceTime call is started."

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
I tried my partners iPad Air and my face is clear as day but the 10.5 seems just out of focus

I have even pulled the screen protector completely off

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Don't know what to suggest? Try a reboot? Is the front facing camera out of focus, when not using FaceTime?

Dave M

Distinguished Member
BTW @leebroath Do you still use your iPad mini? Apart from the FaceTime problem how are you liking the 10.5?

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Tried rebooting it mate, just seems out of focus so going to get it changed out

Apart from the FaceTime it's absolutely fantastic

It's quick and love the new fluid motion

Sold the mini mate

MJC UK

I've got the Air 2 currently, but my son has taken ownership of that, so I'm considering a second one for the adults.

I'd really like the 12.9 for the larger screen, but is the 10.5 a big enough step up to not bother?

I'm using iOS 11 on the Air 2, and I'd really like to see what it can do on the 12.9 with the extra RAM

Decisions!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC