Whos feeling helpful? A few questions- music and cinema set up.

PNB

Hi there helpful folk from around the world...

So I've got a few birds to kill and some insight into the best way to tackle this would be amazing.

I love music- I wouldn't call me an audiophile like a lot of you guys but I really appreciate high quality playback.

I've got an open plan space we've built last year and in there I've got some Tannoy DC6tse speakers running off a cambridge audio azur640a.

At the minute I've got a chromecast audio using an 3.5mm to rca running into the amp.

Its not the greatest quality and quite often the Tannoys really highlight the fact its using the cheapest dac in the chromecast- definitely sounds a bit compressed to me. I also don't think the azur pairs that aell with the speakers either but don't need to get into that - the room is bit hard and the amp and speakers are both bright imho.

Anyway-

I'd like to be using those speakers in there current location as the fronts in a cinema system for that room. Its not going to be like a dedicated cinema room but I can get a pull down projector between them. Ive also got a sub in the room already.

Q1) does anyone make a 2.1 cinema focused amp that means the centre channel in films won't get lost that can be mostly used as a dedicated music stereo but when I pull a screen down will sound fine for film?

Q2) what are some solutions to get Spotify and YouTube music to be controlled by my phone but play through those Tannoys using a hi quality dac?

Q3) Could I use a pioneer sclx86 (buying used) as a 2.1 music amp for now ready to make it a 3.1 or 5.1 setup when we eventually get the projector

Thanks in advance for any help with this

Dolus

Q1) does anyone make a 2.1 cinema focused amp that means the centre channel in films won't get lost that can be mostly used as a dedicated music stereo but when I pull a screen down will sound fine for film?

With any AVR the minimum speakers you must have is two, the front left/right. With this set up any film that is multi channel will have the centre and surrounds mixed into the front two channels so you will not lose anything and you will still be able to play two channel stereo recordings.

If you later add a centre and surround speakers for the complete surround setup you will still be able to play stereo through the front speakers or up-mix to all speakers for a surround effect

This also answers Q3.

No idea about Q2 but I sometimes watch music videos on YouTube via my cable box and usually listen with the Dolby up-mixer engaged so the sound is sent to all speakers.

PNB

Thanks for that. Is that true all avrs?

I've got a pioneer sclx56 in the other room and in the menu when you set the speaker system it just starts at 5.1 and goes up to 9.1

Admittedly I've never actually just hooked it up 2.1

Dolus

Thanks for that. Is that true all avrs?

I've got a pioneer sclx56 in the other room and in the menu when you set the speaker system it just starts at 5.1 and goes up to 9.1

Admittedly I've never actually just hooked it up 2.1
That is because you have more than two speakers connected. If you only had two then getting 5.1 or higher would not be possible.

Actually if you already have an AVR you could have just reconfigured it as having two speakers and seen for yourself how films sounded.

PNB

I'm not sure you're correct with that as the menu shows all of the different options.

I'll have a play- ive never actually only hooked up just 2.

Dolus

I'm not sure you're correct with that as the menu shows all of the different options.

I'll have a play- ive never actually only hooked up just 2.
That is because it is configured for surround sound with more than two speakers. You need to configure it for just the front left/right, (you will probably not need to disconnect the other speakers).

Page 90 of the manual I am looking at:- User manual Pioneer SC-LX56 (English - 124 pages)
Manual SP Setup/Speaker Setting Specifies the size and number of speakers you’ve connected.

That is a pretty nice AVR for a 2012 model, 9.2 channels, THX certified and class D amps. :)

Last edited:

PNB

That page 90 shows what I'm saying when you go into the speaker configuration the minimum is 5.1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211103-113523_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211103-113523_Samsung Internet.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 15

Dolus

Right page but you did not go far enough down, at the bottom where it says Speaker Setting.

Screenshot 2021-11-03 114741.png

Continues on P91

Screenshot 2021-11-03 114904.png

PNB

Either I'm missing something (and I could be), or you are incorrect...

That speaker setting just allows you to say whether they are big or small speakers etc after you've used the speaker system setting.

I've played with both menus extensively in the past and never seen how you can make it 3.1 or 2.1

I think you are mistaken but I'm also open to that I could be missing something.

I'll get both menus open tonight an have another look-

Dobbyisfree

It should allow LARGE, SMALL OR NO (sometimes NONE). It is a normal feature across most AVRs. I don't think I've seen one in a long time that will actually assign less than 5 channels, then you use speaker setup and NONE or NO on the ones you don't have.

PNB

Ah ok. Thats something I've not tried

Thanks both of you- ill see of I can do that.

Presumably if I can do that on the sclx56 then the sclx86 will have the same function.

Dolus

Just to confirm - from p91 of the manual regarding as an example the centre speaker:

Center
– Select LARGE if your center speaker reproduces bass frequencies effectively, or select SMALL to send bass frequencies to the other speakers or subwoofer. If you didn’t connect a center speaker, choose NO (the center channel is sent to the front speakers).

ashenfie

Hi there helpful folk from around the world...

So I've got a few birds to kill and some insight into the best way to tackle this would be amazing.

I love music- I wouldn't call me an audiophile like a lot of you guys but I really appreciate high quality playback.

I've got an open plan space we've built last year and in there I've got some Tannoy DC6tse speakers running off a cambridge audio azur640a.

At the minute I've got a chromecast audio using an 3.5mm to rca running into the amp.

Its not the greatest quality and quite often the Tannoys really highlight the fact its using the cheapest dac in the chromecast- definitely sounds a bit compressed to me. I also don't think the azur pairs that aell with the speakers either but don't need to get into that - the room is bit hard and the amp and speakers are both bright imho.

Anyway-

I'd like to be using those speakers in there current location as the fronts in a cinema system for that room. Its not going to be like a dedicated cinema room but I can get a pull down projector between them. Ive also got a sub in the room already.

Q2) what are some solutions to get Spotify and YouTube music to be controlled by my phone but play through those Tannoys using a hi quality dac?

Q3) Could I use a pioneer sclx86 (buying used) as a 2.1 music amp for now ready to make it a 3.1 or 5.1 setup when we eventually get the projector

Thanks in advance for any help with this
Spotify don't exactly cut the mustard as "High quality", you may find the the limitation are exposed

PNB

Yeah totally- I had a stint of using Tidal and Qobuz but through the Chromecast they aren't any better. Even the hires stuff from them as when using the chromecast dac it gets downgraded to the one below - cant remember is that 44? Anyway-

Thats one if the reasons I ask- if there's a way of getting hires streaming into my amp whilst controlling it with my phone ill jump at how to do it but I'm terrible with this stuff.

I've read if you use a toslink from the chromecast to an amp with digital in then the chromecast doesn't downgrade it?

I've got my eye on the used sclx86 in the classifieds but need a solution to get the audio streaming through it using my phones?

SeanBrothers

If you do decide to get new receiver, some of them come with Chromecast built in, and use the DACs if the receiver.

While it wouldn't help for YouTube music controlled from your phone, a receiver with Spotify built in, or using an Amazon firestick will allow you to use Spotify Connect. Then you can control Spotify from your phone, but the receiver's DACs will be used. However, I believe the Firestick is currently limited to 48Hz.

PNB

Yeah thats why I thought sticking with the chromecasr and using a toslink might be better as it removes the chromecast dac. From what I understand you can then use the hires tracks from tidal and qobuz via my phone casting?

SeanBrothers

Yeah thats why I thought sticking with the chromecasr and using a toslink might be better as it removes the chromecast dac. From what I understand you can then use the hires tracks from tidal and qobuz via my phone casting?
That's my understanding.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I use a Chromecast Audio with an old Arcam AVR200 being used as a stereo amp, even on the really old Arcam I felt using an optical from the CCA made a big difference to sound quality.

If you want to get the best out of a CCA then playing lossless FLAC using Logitech Media Server and the Chromecast bridge plugin is definitely worth trying if you have your own collection of music. I run LMS on a raspberry Pi but you can use pretty much any PC to try it out.

PNB

I dont have my own collection unfortunately. I use YouTube Music and Spotify (I've got paid subscriptions to both).

If I can get a way to get tidal hifi to play properly through the chromecast then ill prob add that as a service.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom