1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's claimed on a warranty?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rollin, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Rollin

Rollin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that the JL 5yr warranty gives peace of mind, but who has actually had to make a claim on a panny (4 series on) on pioneer (433 on) ?

2. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen a single post of anyone claiming after manufacturer warranty has expired (plasmas are very much like PC components. If it ain't broken in a month it's still gonna work when you are chucking it).

Besides, soemone mentioned that according to law the manufacturer creates an expectation in a consumer that an expensive piece of equipment is going to work well beyond it's warranty period. It is understood that you can claim up till about 18months (given 12m original warranty) on the manufacturer's warranty.

I think extended warranties unless coming almost free (like with JL) are very bad value. They charge you about 20% of the value of the NEW screen for 5yr warranty. Now considering that this money will be earning them interest over all these years you are looking at abt 25%-30% of the screen value. Now how reasonable do you think is the expectation that a quarter of all the plasma screens will breakdown within 5yrs?

I say the premiums are so blown up because, if you are paying 3-4k for the screen you get paranoid about it breaking down so you fork out another 500-800 and say now I'm content. I think it's much better business for people who sell this stuff to sell to a few at 80% margin rather than to everyone at 20% margin as the future work involved is considerably reduced and profits are about the same

3. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NEC are giving a three year no-cost std warranty on their screens.

Question - does warraty length indicate a manufacturers confidence in build/component quality?

car comparison - Audi/BMW etc - 3 years, Lotus/TVR - 1 year (although forced to give 2 by EU now)

4. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's more of a question of the image they are trying to create. I think in general companies that provide longer warranty periods are just trying to create brand loyalty or attract the customers who would go elsewhere otherwise (e.g. Hyundai or KIA have 10yr engine warranty in the US). Toyota is much more reliable then all the germans and will still not give 5yr warranty. Why because then you get a stream of cutomers who either used it not according to spec or got tired of it and just want a replacement. Now you spend more money fighting with this kind of customers then the reliability of your cars will actually suggest.

By giving out long warranties companies create millions in contingent liabilities on their balance sheets which slows their progress. Seeing as product life spans are very short now and brand loyalty in mainstream electronics is non-existant Panasonic probably see no reason in tieing up the money in warranties but take the cash and put it in R&D of next generation.
    I don't blame them.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I took the 3 year Panasonic warranty on my PWD6 (£280), and am starting to wonder whether it was worth it.

I wonder if there is a 'cooling-off' period.

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main concern with plasma warranties was screen burn failures (faulty power supplies usually die in the first few months). Screen burn was common and screen burnt panel has to be written off. I think most warranties are still based on this assumption whilst new last few genarations of plasma are much less prone to screen burn.

I think I'd go for the Richer Sounds warranty package though which besides warranty will give you a 50% buy back in 3yr time given the choice. I think depriciation is the main money burner for plasma. Not many people are willing to pay 1500 for a 3yr old used panel. Also, there is a good chance that in 3yrs time decent plasmas will be in sub 1000 bracket, which will make your current model resale value a 300-400. Plus richer sounds give you money back if you don't exercise the policy. I don't know how painless the procedure is (they do mention that they want A1 condition and packaging), but I have this thing on my amp and dvd and will be selling them back in the next few months. Will see how it goes.

I think it's a very good value policy for plasma, provided it does what it says on the box.

7. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no reason to advertise the warranties the company I work for to you guys as I don't advertise who I work for, but here we go.
    I believe that warranties are good value for money.
    The things that are being talked about at the momment surrounding the laws about extended warranties, we wouldn't have to change anything as:
    We already offer the oppertunity to go and think about it for 28 days and still get the stated price.
    We allow the customer to cancel anytime within the first year if there has been no claim made for a full refund.

This is the important part:
    It includes accidental damage (If a screen is written off it will cost you the price of a new one if you're not covered)
    (Most plasmas tend to be changed over as alot of problems aren't repairable.AFAIK)
    The price covers call outs, alot of companies don't even cover call outs for free under the standard warranty and they are about £40 without parts and just 1/2 hr labour, an item like a plasma doesn't take 5mins to fix!
    It covers the remote. (These cost at least £25)
    You total up the things that could go wrong and it tends to seem a sound investment to me.
    Final test: I know what they offer, I buy them myself and have had to use them on many occasions (Not on a plasma yet unfortunately).

8. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you have home Contents insurance than you get the same cover as with a warranty
    So if ure screen bracks down the if it can not be fix you get a new 1 if its accidental damaged you get a new 1 so thats the way im going to go
    the only thing with home Contents insurance is you have to pay a exes i have bean looking around and i can get home Contents insurance for £120 a year and £35 exes so all i pay if my screen gows down is £35 pounds and ill get a new one as most home Contents insurance naw do a new for old OH the best bit is all ure stuff in the house hase home Contents insurance for £120 pounds a year i can have £64000 pounds of cover nice

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    read the small print at least 10 times and prepare for generally quite slow turn around of claims (allegedly) and also be aware that most companies give you no choice of where the replacement screen is sourced so you may find you are automatically tied to dixons or someone for your standard manufacturers warranty!!

10. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice thought but not quite right in practice. After about 5 months on my 37" PW5 I suddenly had a whole column of dead blue pixels.

They picked it about just before Xmas to repair under warranty and left me with a like for like replacement. Still no news on when the repaired unit will be returned.

So not quite like a PC (well not mine anyway).

Mike

11. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrv,
    I withdraw my original statement.

12. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Panny5 50" died when two weeks old; PSU blew up. I was offered repair by dealer, I demanded replacement (less than 28 days was my right). New screen arrived in two days.

Took Panasonic months to pick up original screen, almost thought they had forgotten; their customer services also telephoned to ask why I needed a replacement.

That was October 2002 and not a single problem since, and not an extended warranty in site. I believe same as deman77, if it doesn't go wrong in the first few months it's unlike to ever go wrong.

StooMonster

13. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And in spite of my experience to the contrary I also agree that on balance if it's lasted the first few weeks that it's likely to be OK.

But don't go away thinking that there is absolutely no risk. Somebody, somewhere, will come a cropper. Statistically unlikely to be you (or you, or you ... [pointing finger]) but then again it could just be you!!

Mike

14. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mrv, if it'll be me I'll know who brought bad luck

15. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just got out some of me lucky heather for you m8 so I hope you'll be OK.

As a general rule I never extend warranties anyway - just go with what the manufacturer gives although I am disaapointed that Panny only give 12 months. I was just a bit surprised when the Panny when t*ts up after 5 months

Mike

16. Kraken

Kraken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure that the Richer Plasmacare warranty is the same as their Supercare warranty, and hence doesn't offer you the money back at the end of the warranty period, or a 50% buy back guarantee. Certainly can't find any detail of money back for plasma warrantys on their website, or in the latest RS brochure.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the 3 years warranty is in addition to the manufacturers warranty (ie, you actually covered for four years) or in parallel with (3 years in total)?