1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's awaiting for repairs (ae100)?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pinda, Apr 8, 2002.

1. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, It's was 10 days ago my panny was picked up for repairs (led of death).
    My lamp is being replaced, some ideas they have is..the lamp is heating up to quick and switching itself off or the lamp is drawing too much energy. This doesn't mean the lamp will not work but nevertheless it's ****.
    They told me the wait may be a month for the lamp as it's coming from japan..my dealer said a replacment may take ages..so i think i'll persevere as i got no dead or stuck pixels.
    Mind you...they're only covering their own ass's maybe the lamp will come in 1/2 weeks..
    cya:)

[From admin - You break forum rules when you use asterisked swear words the way you did. Please don't do it again.]

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Good luck m8. Did they give you any idea how much the lamp will cost, early rumours priced it at about £150.

3. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    im waiting for mine to be picked up,

hope it doesnt take a month:(

we will see

if the lamps overheating to quickly,whats the point of them just replacing the lamp,hope they find a solution.and not just replacing it as it could just happen again.

carl

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    A replacement is coming. Been about 10 days so far.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Pinda

Out of interest, what power setting did you have your lamp set at, eco or normal, I have had mine set at eco since new.

6. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim..
    Power setting was on Eco too..I'm sure it's something to do with my mains adapter...if i remember correctly my xmas lights blew...not convinced i put the plug back in..and my projector lamp went off..what an idiot. :eek:
    The lamp won't cost me anything..but i will ask how much they retail at...i remember the chap saying they have 2 on order..a bit tight eh? i mean why not order a few..saving them the hassle of having them sent from japan each time..?? Tight gits.

Carl...I remember them saying they had another panny for repair..i wonder if thats yours ??

7. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still waiting for a lamp....pannysonic say next week...why is it always next week?

Dad i want that bike! Next week son
    Grandad can you take me to the easter fair? Next week son

sorry

:rolleyes:

8. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pinda,Timh and everyone else,
    Panasonic are saying the lamps heating up quick, strange one that, on both the pannys i had, on going into the service menu it tells you the lamp temp, and on both of them the temperatures were upto normal running temp VERY quickly, I would have thought thats normal...... you try changing a diachroic(probably spelt wrong) lamp while the powers on, it will be probably be red hot before you have time to fit it. Tim, as you seem to have one of the Very reliable pannny's I wonder if you could maybe time the lenght of time from striking the lamp until its upto temp as this might be a useful guide for others.......Like me!!to test fans are operating correctly. I'm still waiting to get a replacement, but i have a gut feeling i may get one tomorrow as i am going to have a drive around and I AINT COMING HOME TILL I GOT A PANNY......Might be a long drive.
    You wont believe this but after the agro i had with lamps on my two panasonics.I have been using a 60 grand DLP for the past week at work, and the lamp went on me,a 3k xenon, after something like 60 hours usage. is he upstairs trying to tell me something.

All the best.....Splice.:D

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Splice

If you tell me how to I will :)

10. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,

to go into service menu, press menu, go to option and press enter, and with OSD highlighted keep your finger on enter and after 3 or 4 seconds you will go into the service menu. Go to self check and press enter and you wil have a screen of green text and there it will tell you temp 1 and temp 2. on my NEW PANNY THAT I GOT TODAY!!! Hoorah. normal running temp on my NEW ONE I GOT TODAY... HOORAH!!! oh so sorry, said that already, is temp 1=135 and temp 2=172 if you do this as soon as you turn on see how long it takes to settle at maximum temp. I was thinking this would be a good way to spot a problem with cooling fans failing or vent blockages. I will do the same tomorrow and post results. if you press menu you will then leave service data oh god!! i'm soooooooo happy to be back. Fingers crossed third time lucky.

all the best....Splice:D :D :D :D :D :D

incidently you can bring up colour screens in the service menu for rgb for testing purity and dodgy pixels by going to the service mode option and pressing enter, then use arrow keys left and right to cycle through colours and up, down to give you a pixel grid etc....;)

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Cheers Splice, no time now, off to work in a minute, ill do it tonight.
    Good luck with this PJ :)

12. chienmort

chienmort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having worked with projectors for some years, the following things are vital to prolong viewing pleasure.

1. Use low or eco setting. This has only abouut 20% impact on brightness but up to 100% impact on lamp life.
    2. Always use the proper power switch to turn the unit off. Switching off at the mains or pulling out the power cable causes serious damage to your wealth.
    3. Like ALL electical equipment it is most likely to fail at switch on
    so don't keep turning it off and on.
    4. Clean Dust Filters monthly or more often if possible.

5. This is the big one...DON'T SMOKE IN A ROOM WHERE A PROJECTOR IS. The tar coats all the optical components and you will end up viewing through a fog.

13. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    top tips chienmiort, thanks. :)

so, I need a step ladder to switch it off, got to work out how to clean the filters (wooden floor see), and explain to the girlfriend why she'll be smoking on the backdoor step.uh-oh.

14. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent splice! Happy for ya..:)
    Thanks chienmort for the input, i think i'm gulity of two! :blush:
    My girlfriend smokes too..and er..i smoke like a chimmey...looks like i'll be joining her on the back door step :D
    Let you guys know when i get mine back...the techs told me they've ordered 2 lamps from japan..i wonder who's the other lamp is for...? Anyone here? they also told me not to be suprised if the shipment arrives by sea, cos the japs like to cut down costs! Cheeky.

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I always leave mine in Standby, I read somewhere that everytime you use the actual power switch on any electrical item it puts strain on the internal componants.
    I wonder if people with the AE100 failures are switching it off by the switch instead of leaving it in standby mode.

16. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Just a thought, all us smokers (Very Soon to give up...Again!!!) if you really cant stop smoking in your HC room then why not
    buy one of those air purifiers and put it by where you sit, and blow your smoke at that. It should suck up all that crap that we take in every puff.

all the best......Splice:D

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Splice

Not had time to check the lamp temp yet, I will try tonight.

Tim

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Splice

I have just done the Temperature check, Room temp 20 C, I timed it for 15 minutes and Temp 1=147 and temp 2=176, it was still dropping but very very slowly.
    I guess all Lamps are differant, but it might be worth checking once I have done over 1000 hours.

I found the colour screens and pixel grids very interesting, I always thought I had a slight open green pixel, (not seen in normal viewing), but when testing with the colour screens and pixel grids I coudn't spot it :D maybe its just a dust spec afterall, I wont bother to clean it out yet until I have done over 1000 hours.

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    After watching Final Fantasy, I checked and it had settled down to Temp 1 =140 Temp 2=170.

20. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Tim,
    temps after 15 mins are temp 1=134 and temp 2=169 after switching it on the temps were around 170-180 within about 30 secs. it then cools a little and stabalizes.
    Tim as you have had yours quite a while now, have you never noticed a slight flicker on your lamp. This is my third and the first two developed a flicker at aroud the 50 to 70 hours, this one however had it more or less from 1 hour, its just an occassional pulse on the picture.......really strange this as i cant believe i am the only one getting this.....i mean 3 out of 3 machines.
    Anyway I will just keep my eye on it.
    Absolutely delighted with the picture, no dead pixels, fan now back to being quiet like the first one i had. running through HCPC pixel perfect 480 wide. viewing from about 1.7X the picture width ice storm 5 home made screen approx 6' wide. Just a little worried about the pulse on the light. Anyone else noticed on an AE100 i know there is a few people on avs that have had similar on other machines. I reckon it may be these mercury vapour lamps, as i was talking to someone from a large projector manufacturer a couple of weeks ago and he said that they have had similar cases with mercury lamps. I am treating my AE100 like a baby. ie. not moving it in the slightest when on, not smoking near it. mind you I look a prat puffing in to my air purifier.. if the craving gets to much. PLEASEEEEE let this projector last!!!!!!.

All the best......Splice.:D

21. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    splice

ive just ran my replacement for just 0ne hour,and i think i have this flicker but its only been slight(thought i was imagining it,until i just read your post).
    my first didnt have any flicker at all,it died at about 20 hours(i think).
    fingers crossed they are alright:rolleyes:

cheers carl

22. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl... Glad i aint alone mate....on mine it seems to be less frequent once its been on for a while. I am running in eco mode all the time incidently. I tend to have mine on for several hours at night, as i use it to watch sky etc. Hope they hurry up and get some spare bulb in the country, as i like the idea of having a spare, anyone out there know if they are available from any outlets yet....or are they coming on the same canoe as the ae100's.

All the best.....Splice.;)

23. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :eek: Iv'e never heard of this fault before, and thankfully I have never seen it :)
    Have you guys not thought of trying your projector in differant house, just incase you have a poor mains supply, it seems odd that splice has had 3 flickering lamps, or maybe its just bad luck :(
    I hope I dont start looking for this flickering now :(
    I have noticed the fan change pitch, I believe this is to accomidate the Lamp running a bit warm, and the fan automatically speeds up to accomidate it, I have only noticed this about 3 or 4 times!
    I am now at 200 hours.
    Whats the date of manufacturer on your projectors, as you know mine is from the first batch Nov 2001.

24. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Projector 1:
    First one was great, nice picture but after about 4 weeks of viewing it, one morning was dead as a dodo. No power, no fan...silence.

I sent it back to the dealer who got me another one.

Projector 2:
    This one seemed to have a worse picture, it had interference over it, I noticed it but my wife and friends didn't. Anyway, I was happy to have TV again.

Again, in the morning went to turn it on and this time there was power but the LED flashed green and the fan didn't power up. Tried a few dealer sugestions to no avail.

My dealer (who has been great through all this) is picking up the panny on Monday.

So, all in all im having a bad experience with the panny. It produces a great picture in general but seems to be prone to Return-to-Dealer faults.

I pray that this 3rd one will last out more than a month. I am now wondering If it fails again what my options would be? Can I swap it for a different model? Get my money back?

What is the next best pj to get that has a proven history without breaking the bank?

Anim

25. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :eek: people who have had bad luck with this projector seem to be having it in threes.
    Good luck Anim, third time lucky :(
    It makes me think, will my projector turn on the next time I use it :confused:

26. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Timh

I do hope the 3rd one will be ok. I really do. Sound and Vision are sending me a stand in Sony if its going to be a long wait for a replacement so at least I will have TV again. I'm worried that the wife will go berserk and make me buy a TV again :(

Anyway, from reading General Skanky's post the Sony is okish but will look odd on my Wide DaLite screen in 4:3.

Some info on how I use the pj...

I use S-Video for DVD and Composite for Sky
    Use the PJ every night
    Lamp life was around 80 hours
    PJ is on a solid wooden table in front of our sofa
    We have 2 long hair cats
    We both smoke
    Filter was clean, Exhaust looked clean, no obvious cat hair clinging to it and the lens was clean.
    Never use the Power switch on the back of the unit, it stays in standby when we dont use it.
    We don't switch off plugs at the mains
    Lamp is set to LOW
    Use Normal for screen brightness
    Always use 16:9 ratio

Cheers
    Anim

27. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Anim

you really need to get yourself a player with componant out, I used to use s-video with the AE100, componant is a big jump in picture quality.

28. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi lads,

This is my first post since getting my Panny yesterday. I am absolutely thrilled with it. I have noticed a flicker like some of you before I even read this thread. Its not like refresh or video noise, more like the lamp cuts out for a micro second. Seems to happen once or twice every movie. It doesn't bother me but I do hope its nothing serious. I'm running Dvd via S-Video and analogue cable via composite. Yesterday when I got it I thought Dvd looked superb and cable was so-so, vhs was woefull(to be expected). I then hooked up the PC.

(P4 1800mhz,256mb,GF3ti200,Pinnacle RaveTV,Powerstrip,PowerDvd,Dscaler)

Dvd via PC looked outstanding and cable tv and even vhs looked very good via dscaler. I thought I had made a big mistake hooking the PC up though as I have heard many say that once you see HTPC , you wont want to go back. Tonight, I moved most of my gear to a new Hifi rack and rewired everything and watched a movie on the dvd player via s-video and put a vhs tape on after to have a look. Dvd looked as good as the first day but for some reason there was a marked improvement in cable tv and vhs. Maybe it was just bad reception yesterday or the rewiring removed the cause of some interference or something. Anyway, although I still want to go the HTPC or iscan etc route I don't think I will need to break the bank straight away for a new PC.

29. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Oh yeah, no dead pixels!!!:D :D :D ..........and I have searched, nose to screen!:D

30. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Timh

>> you really need to get yourself a player with componant out, I used to use s-video with the AE100, componant is a big jump in picture quality. <<

DVD is acceptable for me but Sky Digital makes my eyes water after a while, I would rather sort that out first.

I am waiting for Dr John Sim to get his RGB to YUV Component Video unit in production so I can wire up the Sky box, around end of April I think he is aiming for based on some emails I have.

Whats a good cheap DVD player with component out for the panny? I don't have much money at the moment.

I should try building a HCPC really, I now have 3 PC's on my home network but they all buzz like a cooker fan extractor on full power. I just cant see the wife trying to work out using a PC in the living room for SKY and DVD when im not about, or is it not like that?

Cheers
    Anim