1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who'll be the buyers of iPod Nano?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by asherpat, Sep 9, 2005.

Tags:
?

who'll be the buyers of the new iPod Nano

Poll closed Sep 19, 2005.
  1. First-time buyers of a DAP

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Current owners of non-Apple iPod DAP

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Owners of older iPods by selling their current machines

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Owners of iPods adding to their Apple collections

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    given that the key new features of the Nano are stopwatch and password lock, and the fact that most of the people that wud buy a DAP, already have one (mostly an iPod), i wonder who will be the bulk of Nano buyers:

1. People who dont have a DAP now, succumbing to the iPod phenomena.
    2. People who have non-iPod DAP (there arnt too many of those) "seeing the (white) light"?
    3. People who have an HDD Apple iPod, eBaying the Mini in the process
    4. People who will buy the Nano as an addition to the collection of G1, Minis Photos and Shuffles, even though there is little or no new functionality in the Nano.

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,229
    It'll be a combo of 1st timers going with brand name and people who want obvious advantages of 4gb of flash memory, which may or may not be to compliment a 20gb player they already have

3. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any snapshots of the new IPOD?

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I've sold my 40GB photo for my 4GB nano. 4GB is smaller than my collection (about 13GB), but more than enough for my listening.

The size is so much smaller you are more likely to take it with you - you don't need to think about it.

5. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Why dont you get a 6GB mini which looks better than this poor mans i-pod and has far better battery life.

The only plus with this nano for me is the colour screen and size, in every other department it is a weaker player than the mini (price, capacity, battery life).

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    No not it every other department, it's flash memory (PSS) so it's perfect for excercise or whatever and will be more reliable than HDD models.

Only think about the mini that appeals is the battery, nothing more.

7. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a 20G and a 512M shuffle. The shuffle is what I actually use because I am not even aware I am wearing/carrying it, and I don't care if it gets dropped. The battery life matches the music capacity, and I just refresh the contents when I recharge.

I am getting a nano because I think I will finally take an ipod everywhere. Clock/diary/address book, photo album are built in. The next thing to build in is a credit card. Then carrying a wallet will finally be optional.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Click here.

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,229
  10. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    When you start to really use Itunes, it becomes apparent that this software is light years ahead of the comeptition - which is very strange as the things it does are pretty rudimentary - BUT - they make management of largescale music collections a total doddle.

I manage 45 GB of music with it. It pretty much automatically puts what I want onto the player with little intervention.

No drag and drop nonsense here.

My wife has a 20 GB ipod (which I hate the image of) but the software makes using the mp3 player enjoyable.

I`ll get a nano for myself, on itunes alone.

11. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    You don't get no better music management software than i-tunes, perfect integration between player and PC, everything just works so seamlessly and intuitive no crappy bugs neither. I've actually come across a few ipod owners recently who don't use itunes!, they use some other crummy program, one guy I came across said he had never even tried itunes with his pod!, felt like stranggling the fool. I used itunes to manage my music before I even had a pod.

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    nano is significantly smaller - I can't emphasise that enough. Mine is in my wallet now - so it'll go everywhere with me without thinking.

Capacity is only slightly smaller than the 6GB mini, and the same as the original 4GB mini. And iTunes smart playlists is very adept at handling that memory.

13. Ol!ver

Ol!ver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I'd be interesting in knowing how you've got your smart playlists set-up mate.....Currrently got a 20gb G3 with only 5gb used, so seriously fancy a 4gb nano.....

14. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The key new feature is the size + capacity in relation to it, plus the extension of the iPod interface into something that's everyday portable without even thinking about it.

The other thing is that it's very probable that due to using memory chips higher bitrates won't have as much of an effect on the claimed playback time (which Apple these days are very conservative with, unlike Sony).

I keep a 100Gb+ library in trim with iTunes. Only j.River Media Center does a (slightly) better job of everyday management. Sonicstage chokes on even my subset library (60 and a bit Gb).

I'm getting a US version. I don't want to take my chances with a potentially European capped one.

15. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73

eh :confused: have the redesigned the mini :rotfl: the nano is by far better looking than the mini imho

there some pretty bloody big pluses ;) oh and you left out weight ;) 103grams of brick against 43 atkins diet grams :eek: :D

granted :smashin:

BUT for the sacrifice of 2gig the benefit of that oh so slim nano AND the colour screen :eek: still the nano will dominate as i wasnt even in the market for a mp3 player untill i happened to see this nano effort :devil: and friend of mine has a mini and while its head an shoulders above the competition feel wise the nano imo blows it away for looks.

16. dups45

dups45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw the nano yesterday in dixons, OMG how small is it!!!! it looks beautiful, i didnt think so at first, but now i really do think its a nice peice of kit. However, i will not buy one, its not practical

17. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    OKay, this is just me.

I used to listen to my music on the move on MD. I could carry the small player with me very easily + a handful of disks, which I could choose to change on a daily basis.

The only real advantage in moving to a DAP was that I could carry my entire music collection on it. I have c.1,000 CDs (c.10,000 songs?) so if I wanted to carry the lot with me, and never worry about running out of room, I had to get 60gb (40gb would mean my player would be perilously close to full before I'd bought any new CDs).

I quite understand that most people's music collections are smaller than mine, but how far is 2gb going to get you?

Does anyone here own a player that's smaller than their CD collection? If so, how do you decide what to leave on or off it?

Steve W

18. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Comfortably yes. My CD collection that I've ripped is 64GB, with about 200 CD's that I haven't done.

I tend to use a DAP for listening to new stuff at work, as it's the only place where I'm left alone for long enough. So new stuff goes on automatically, and I clear tracks/albums that don't do it for me anymore, or that don't suit the sort of sounds I want when working.

19. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    They probably use smart playlists, manage whatever sized music collection on a small sized player. 4GB is the max size of the nano currently btw. Of course smart playlists aint for everyone but they work perfectly for me, once i've listened to a song it gets automatically taken off and replaced with one I haven't heard in AGES. Live updating rotating libraries rule man.

Of course it's not as good as having all the space you could need, but before this solution I would never have entertained the thought of downgrading to a smaller storage device like i'm now doing with the nano.

20. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

Actually, you can decide how you want to arrange it and you needn't be involved in the nitty gritty of it half the time.

For example, you can define smart playlists which says "load on 800mb of music which I've ripped in the last 30 days and listened to less than twice, arranged by artist", "load on 400Mb of random Jazz music that I have not heard in the last 60 days", and an additional manually defined playlist onto which you can drag & drop whatever you specifically want to listen to that day. The Smart Playlists will be dynamically updated each time you dock the iPod.

This way, you can make smart and purposeful use of a limited storage player. You can keep multiple smart playlists on hand, and switch between them in about 4 clicks.

Smart Playlists came into their own when I had the Mini. Since my collection outgrew any player on the market right now, they've been very useful on the full-sized iPod too.

21. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Go on then dodgy give us the size of your total music collection then, the largest player i've seen was 100GB, but the largest collection i've heard of was a poster on ilounge who said he had 247GB worth of tunes!. Must have had a helluva lot of wav files or other lossless stuff I guess.

22. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps you can help me with my dilemma. I started adding my songs to media player and musicmatch long before I had the Photo ipod (30gb) / I transferred all disks onto an external 250gb in mp3 format. I then got an Ipod and itunes. Set it up so that allnew files goto the smae folder on my external disk. (35gb used so far with 500+ cd's to still burn)

However, when I want to play them on the PC it can never find them and I have to search song by song. Is there a quick fix? I am now using media player to play of my PC hard disk as it doesn't appear to lose them.

23. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    It is a bit involved, but you can use tag-based file renamers such asThe GodFather, MP3 Tag Tools, etc to restruture all your files into an \artist\album\song or whatever you like format, then import into iTunes. Alternatively, using iTunes you can check on Keep Files Organised in the Advanced tab and re-import all your music files, where they'll be put into the respective folders.

All this assumes the music is correctly tagged of course...

24. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will look into. All the files are from original disks, I probably transferred over 700 albums when I first got I Tunes. My main way was pointing it to where the folder is. I keep them in a seperate folder than the Itunes official one. Mainly coz the size is too big for my normal HD. All the folders show correctly in I Tunes, artist song etc. It is just when I play one there may be an asterix in the far left column and a message "the song XXX could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" - then you need to go and find it. Very annoying.

25. asherpat

asherpat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    imerfection at iTunes? seriously, (i have no DAP, so cant say much except what i read) iTunes seems like the best thing since the iMac :) while everybody curses the other software. innnit?

26. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcm

Sounds as though you have somehow changed the apparent location (drive/folder) where the music is located. It's the same disk & folder to you, but a different one to the computer. Maybe its drive letter has changed or you've rearranged your folder structure. You would see this by looking at the full path-name of a file that can't be found (select the track and click get-info under the file menu. Next to "where" is the full path name).

When you are asked "would you like to find it?" and you do go and find it, the path name will change after you've found it, and you'll see exactly what's happened.

You can fix this by changing back to your original drive:folder hierarchy, or by recataloguing all the music (eg delete it from itunes, but not the files, then drag the top folder back into the itunes window). Make sure the advanced preferences are suitable beforehand: "keep itunes folder organised" and "copy files to itunes when adding to library" probably off if you don't want the actual files and folders messed with.

27. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ah yes, I forgot about the "Copy files to iTunes folder" switch. I mean, I was checking whether you were paying attention... yeah, that's it :p

It did seem from the tone that marcm did want to change his folder structure.