Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Whole System Calibration ...easy or a pro job?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Xstyle, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I'm currently buying gear for my Home Cinema system:
    Pio 435 XDE, Pio 868avi, Pio AX5ai,
    hooked up to Speakers: Artcoustic DF Multi, and Sonance RS1 ceiling speakers, and BK XLS200 sub.

Option 1:
    Am I better off to get a AV store to come round my house and sort out the calibration?

OR

Option 2:
    do it myself ...somehow?
    (would Digital Video Essentials sort this out? .... inc settings on the Amp and TV etc...????)

If I choose Option 2 ... then I I have to install and setup the gear myself, as the AV store won't install products bought from elsewhere (slightly cheaper)

:lease:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    With DVE you will probably get the calibration of both sound and vision reasonable but without a quality sound pressure meter (and ideally a real time analyser) for the sound set-up and a colour analyser for the video set-up you will be very lucky if you manage to optimise the system.

There are few people in the UK with the test equipment to do the job properly - I happen to be one of them, but see the other sponsors ads also.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Xstyle would you spend 10% on top of your total system cost to get the very best out of it? this is the question you need to think about..........

4. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Piers ... how much do u generally charge?

HornyDragon ... I know... it all really depends on what the quote is from a builder/electrician to make my custom install in the wall.

If he is cheaper than the AV store to make everything (plus additional internal building works that they aren't doing), then it is something I have to consider.

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    XStyle,

Details are on my website (see sig). Rather depends on what you might want me to do.If it is an install job and a calibration that will mean two visits (the plasma cannot be calibrated sensibly when it is brand new). The good news is that I am regularly in Berkshire.

6. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Speakers will go where they have to go... i.e. in ceiling, and wall respectively,
    (click on my link in signature for room layout etc) so no real moving around there.

Why can't I just get a digital Sound Meter and do it myself?
    ...whatever the "it" is....

What else extra is done by a "professional"?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the procalibraton can identify where the problem is and correct it, a sound meter at best (analogue are better) will tell you there is a problem, correcting it is the hard part, it could be move a chair, or adjust every setting in the system.......

8. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I'm gonna get it installed fairly soon....
    then shall run it on fairly low settings (like what?) for around 200 hours,
    then look to get it calibrated.

So for Audio and Visual ...you'd charge £500? Surely a deal could be done for having them togther...

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229

Could be scope for a deal :cool:

10. oracleband

oracleband

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do we all see the colours of the rainbow the same.

I dont know one thing I do know regarding audio calibration every room resonates at a certain frequency and every surface and diiferent surface texture effects the audio from a system there are loads of factors to think about even the temperature of your room will effect the frequency of a sound drastically in about 6 degrees up or down also your sense of tempo changes due to what you eat or how much sleep you have had.

So you can try to eliminate phase cancellation and so on but how you hear sound and what you think sounds good is relative to what you hear regularly what you have heard in the past and where you are hearing from. to coorectly calibrate for 5.1 in your seating position means that it is incorrect for your friend etc sat over in the left right near your rear surround speaker.

When I am working in my studio my audio monitors need to tell me everything so tracks arent played on varying systems with varying results you have to balance a medium for big club systems to small mono radios to sats and subs.

So unless their are real problems with resonance and sub in your room I wouldnt worry abut paying for someone like me to come into your house and tell you that it sounds great.

However with visual its slightly different because how you set your picture could have an effect on your tubes life span.

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    The idea fo audio calibration is to get the most consitsnet results over the area that most of the viewers sit.

Video is actually quite different. Whether you see colour the same way I do is irrelevant. It's to do with how things are recorded and played back. f you have a colour viewing deficiency then you see that all the time. To see colours the way you normaly view them they need to be played back as acurately as possible. The standards set down for recording and playback of video are such that if all parts of the display and playback chain are correct you see as close as is possible to what they wanted you to see when they captured the image. Your colour viewing error doesn't change. If the playback image changes then your perception does.......

As for audio..."my audio monitors need to tell me everything so tracks arent played on varying systems with varying results "...this is an impossibility......Different playback systems will sound different.....I know what you are getting at.....just playing devils advocate..

Gordon

Gordon

12. vikingboy

vikingboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having recently invested heavily in pro audio & video calibration equipment I suggest you get a pro to do the work for you. It took me a long time to learn how to make best use of the gear. 500quid for a solid set of measurements & recomendations sounds like money well spent. After spending a lot of money on the gear Ive now come to the conclusion the room is key. Most room suck until treated. Knowing how to treat them correctly takes experience & practice. Just as you can make improvements you can also make things worse!