1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole bunch of newbie questions...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Grand Dizzy, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. I'm buying a home cinema system and I need some help please. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1) Separate or all-in-one?
    First of all, what's the advantage of getting separate speakers and amp? Do you need it for good sound quality, or is there some practical reason? My computer speakers have the amplifier built in and I'm very happy with them.

2) Dolby Digital
    I will want to run Dolby Digital 5.1 on my speakers. Is this standard or do I have to specifically look for ones that support this?

3) Presets
    I would sometimes like to be able to turn down the amount of surround and LFE, for example when I'm not really watching the TV and want to talk. And sometimes I may want to just listen to music. So it would be nice to have 'presets', or even simply just a control for the amount of surround. Do most units have these kind of controls?

4) Remote
    Also, I'd like a remote control so I can do it all from the chair. This is a standard feature, right?

5) Recommendations?
    Does anyone just have a recommendation for a really great sound system (either separate or all-in-one)? I'm looking to spend a few hundred quid on this Maybe £300-£400ish, maybe more. What will that get me? I don't have money to burn but sound quality really matters to me.

6) Must beat my computer speakers
    And finally, I need to know what are the key specifications to look for in a speaker system? My only point of reference is my computer speakers — I definitely want something that sounds as good as (or better than) them, but I don't know what makes them good. The specs are:

Labtec ATX 5820. 70 Watt RMS (44-watt subwoofer + two 13-Watt satellite speakers).5 amplifiers. 7 speaker drivers. Electronically crossed-over D'apolito configuration. Progressive suspension subwoofer with laminar flow bass port
    Media Included Qty: 25 - 20000 Hz. Connectivity Technology: Wired.

So what makes them good? Are they good? The most important thing to me is that they can make the floor shake. I can really feel the bass, which I think will be important for home cinema. But by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Sorry to sound so lame. I am, believe it or not, an expert in certain forums. Just not this one! :)

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    are looking for a DVD SYSTEM or just speakers and amp?

3. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've already got a DVD player, but that's all I've got. I'll be buying a plasma and need speaker system to go with it. Will be using it for movies, TV & music.

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Seperates are best for not only sound and power but for upgradabilty and in this game once you get started u cant stop :D

I would recommend to you:

Denon 1705 av amp £199
    and The new Tannoy FX speaker package for £280

both avialible from petertyson.co.uk

your dvd player must have a digital output to send the sound to the amp.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I'd go for the separates route - it may cost a lot more in the outset (in terms of time & money) but it will give you greater flexibility in the longer term. :smashin: