Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Who you calling ******?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by seany, Aug 10, 2004.

1. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did anybody watch this last night? It was a doc made by Darcus Howe about racism in the black/asian Communities against one another. The very same old racial comments older white (and younger) people make, like a black british guy saying somalians all look a like to him, and that they sponge of the state, Asians calling blacks thiefs and lazy. Young asian girl calling jews tight.

I dont know where that racial harmony is we were all talking about a couple of weeks ago. Like i said then, its just on the surface the reality is very different

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/B/blackhistorymap/articles_08.ht

Please dont change the title of the thread, it is the actuallname of the programe, made by a black man to highlight a serious problem

Edit: I see thats done auto:laugh:

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    What people need to understand is that Racism is not a one way street, it is not something that only white people commit.

Everyone has their own prejudices, racism is displayed by an individual regardless of race.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    Damn I missed it, wonder if it's repeated ?

4. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I caught this and am glad that it highlighted the fact that racism exists between other races, and is not just whites vs. everybody else. The fact he he even managed to keep (relatively) calm when his researchers were attacked by a Somali social worker showed his solemn convictions.

5. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I agree with Rob j, I in no way condone racism, & don't wish to point the finger at a particular ethnic group. However often some of the worst examples are between ethnic groups, not 'White Anglo Saxons' & 'coloureds'. The overall situation is not going to improve with the doors open for many more Eastern European 'Gypsies' Povety in there own countries must make the Uk seem attractive. What I found interesting was the attitude of the 'English Asians' who seem to have now adoped the racist atitudes of 'the English' decades ago. (Still in evidence with the BNP). One of the words Darcus used was 'tribal' & that seems to be very apropriate. I recognise yobs when I see them. The colour of their skin is irelevant.

6. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    'White Anglo Saxons' & 'coloureds' <--- See there you go! Im White and Scottish but I believe the term is Im white and there are also blacks NOT coloured, when did white not become a colour? Yeah and in reality no-one is white, black, red, or yellow in skin tone but that is the terms that people use, unfortunately.

Ripco.

7. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Ripco, the terms are just to differentiate between the groups. I have no problem with the 'N' word or 'P' , however I'm 'White' & despite both preceeding words being used within those groups, don't feel I should use them here, or anywhere they'd cause offence. 'My ******' used as a term of endearment's not offencive. 'He's a ******' describing someone, is. I worked in a job where political correctness was imperative. (I believe that was right) To offend someone off the bat with inapropriate language was both unacceptable, & would make work much harder (if you lasted in the job). Talking to people on 'their level' was also most important. Not all coloureds are 'Black', not all 'Whites' Anglo Saxon. I'm sure there are race issues between the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish & the English of all colours. I was refering to my ethinic group -White Anglo Saxon, & coloureds meaning Blacks, & Asians. It would have been different but just as correct to use the term 'White European' As I've intimated, I'm not offended by being called White - or for that matter a 'Honkey' or any racial slur really. But, I am in the majority & don't feel vunerable. Perhaps I'd feel different in a different country where I was the in ethnic minority.

8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Very PC !! I've just discovered you can't post the 'N' word. I wonder what else would 'auto conceal'? - It didn't hide Honkey, perhaps I should complain !!!!!!!!!!!

9. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    coloureds meaning Blacks, & Asians. I presume you are racially grouping Indians in there too and are there differences between Indians and American Indians? Lol.

Its not the N word Im on about and if your work group uses PC words like coloured lmao then Im sure the definition of PC should have been checked.

Merely making a point not rewriting Gone with the wind!

10. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Is Honky really a rascict term? What the hell does it mean? Theres been a song (By the rolling stones), a film with Honky in the title, does anyone feel offended if called Honky? I've never heard of anyone being called a honky, if i was white and called a honky i would probably burst out laughing, its a silly word that i think has no meaning in the UK, though I could very will be wrong.

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go check out the Michael Jackson thread on the dvd talk section of this site and you will see Darthbane calls me racist because i dared to suggest certain things about his "hero" he also put words i never said into my mouth and basically used the race card to shoot down anything i said despite the fact i said i liked Jackons Thriller album, i mean how can you discuss a guy like Jackson without mentioning the politics behind the guy and the situations he's been involved in ?

I don't consider myself racist and if i was then why do i watch Will Smith films or have Halle Berry Catwoman pics on my website and why is Denzel Washington one of my favourite film actors ? it shocked the hell out of me that i should voice an opinion on Michael Jackson and have some loony tunes play a race card and call me a racist when it was never ever about the color of the guys skin but more what he "allegedly" does with lil kids that bothered me.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,686
    Back in the 70’s there was a comedy series called ‘Love Thy Neighbour’ which was about a black and white couple living next door to each other the white guy was bit of a bigot and called the black guy names and in return called him honky as a derogatory term.

13. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Spot on Garrett - I'm short of ethnic slurs for a 'white' person. Suggestions welcome.

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,686
    Just rememberd the bigots name was Eddie Booth and he used the S word for Bill next door.
    The series will probably never be shown again because it it is un-PC but Eddie always came of worse with his schemes that backfired on him. I sort of remember one where he was calling Bill a witchdoctor so Bill played along with him and said he put a curse on him and it could only be removed by him dancing round a tree at midnight up on the common, naked. Eddie fell for it.

15. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spot on Garrett - I'm short of ethnic slurs for a 'white' person. Suggestions welcome.

Cracker is another.

16. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Rising Damp with showed Rigsby as a 'racist'. The humour was hysterical, & Philip always came of the best. Love thy neighbour was of its time, now I don't think it would be funny. I can't see Rising Damp offending, Love Thy Neighbour being offencive. I think of it as being to racism what Benny Hill is to sexism. Funny at the time but things have changed. But as I said what would I know, I'm not 'of colour' (If being particularly PC)

17. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    AFAIK if a term is racist (or not) is not decided if it has been used in movies etc., if an individual does not consider it such or if it isn't common to your country.

"Honky" is however listed as 'ethnic slur': http://www.wordiq.com/definition/List_of_ethnic_slurs

BTW: In Asia people from Hong Kong are often referred to as "Honky" but I am not certain if it's meant in a derogatory manner.

18. Alan1975

Alan1975
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this program and while I have friends from other ethnic groups who have talked about this sort of racism but I had never seen it first hand.

I couldn't believe those Pakistan youths talking about hating Jews and how aggressive they got when Darius tired to interview them (although he didn't introduce himself particular well by starting out saying "What do you do?".

Interesting that if you go on the channel 4 web site forum for this program loads of people (guessing mostly Asia's) have denounced the program for being biased, showing Asia's in a bad light.

Seemed to me these days every teenager wants to be a gangster what ever colour.

Worrying times indeed!

19. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Top link Reiner, even after Ripcos' post I hadn't clicked Cracker was an ethnic slur ! The list Reiner linked is extensive. I like Nordstrom Rack best – White women with breast implants (fake breasts). But I do feel discriminated against, as there are still few slurs for White Europeans! Never mind, at least now if someone does use one of the terms I can look it up & know I've been insulted!

20. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,916
    I know there has been similar consternation at the likes of white people being made-up as a different race (excluding the Black and White Minstrels), and the one that I remember was It Ain't Half Hot Mum with Alan Bates made up as a Indian.

But I stumbled upon this British sitcom where Spike Milligan was made- up as a Pakistani.

Curry and Chips
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7t0QGk2Cz8&feature=related

Cringe worthy.

"..... if they sent all the Wogs back home we'd have an extra hour of daylight". :suicide:

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,493
    Good God, where did you dig this one up from :eek: 4 years old !

22. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,916
    I remembered a thread I contributed to about Love Thy Neighbour. When I did a search I could only find this thread! Seemed appropriate!

23. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +13,674
    thanks for pointing that out, I was wondering how I missed this show last night :suicide: :D