Who would buy a plasma here if manufactures solved the screen burn issue?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Nabs, Apr 22, 2007.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes?

155 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. No?

67 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    With plasma starting with 1080p screens who would buy a plasma here, in the lcd forum, if manufacturers solved the screen burn issue?

2. dchris2

dchris2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would but I heard you have to put some sort of gas into them after a specific time

3. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    :rotfl: Yeah I know the chances of that happening are less than sed been launched in time!

4. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    There are some very real differences between lcd and plasma tv's which do make one better than the other for an individual but as far as screen burn goes these days it does seem to be more an issue of whether you will worry about it more than the real chance it will happen.

I've had a panasonic plasma for a year now. I regularly come home to find it has been left on the disney channel all day which has a terrible logo, and I have never had any sign of screenburn.

I never make any allowances for it being a plasma, I don't try to zoom out logos, I watch films and tv in OAR and have no problems.

If you know you are going to worry about screenburn all the time then I would say plasma isn't for you.

If you can actually forget about the screenburn issue and use the television normally then you will find with the right makes it isn't really a problem these days.

They do have drawbacks, green fringing being one. I have recently bought a PS3 and this issue is very noticeable on fps games like RFoM.

You could always swing this question around and ask in the plasma forum whether they would buy an lcd if they fixed the black levels, backlight bleed, clouding, motion blur etc issues.

Both techs have their drawbacks, but I do think that in a couple of years we will see lcd's that have eliminated these problems at which point I would probably switch from plasma to lcd

5. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    i really hope that's a sarcastic comment

6. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    It doesn't suprise me that people are still saying this when places like Dixons are still stating it to customers.

7. doubleup_dan

doubleup_dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah for me i dont believe that sreen burn is much of an issue any more unless you have on in a shop displaying the same image day after day..

more of a concern for me is the phosphor lag shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyllx3VaI8&eurl=

and now with TVs like the M87/6 with plasma like blacks and little motion blur at much cheaper prices i dont see much reason to get a plasma.

8. Mr-Bananas

Mr-Bananas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I think Dixons started the rumour about re-gassing plasma's every 5yrs.

I even know someone who has a plasma and he is trying to sell it - he mentioned it needed re-gassing.

Everyone seems to know about it, I wanna know how it became so widely spread.

A bit like tarten paint or rubber nails.

10. Gedd

Gedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Not a chance...got rid of my crt to have a glare free LCD and am well happy with it.:)

11. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Don't want to go back to screen reflections and image retention (different from screen burn).
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't plasma TV's use more power?
    I do like their complete lack of any motion blur though.

12. Yannis

Yannis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Image retention is not a real problem nowadays but glare and electromagnetic fields might still be. And i say might cause some of the new plasmas like Samsung Q97 and Panasonic PX77 are supposed to have a reflection free screen cover.

13. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Plasma is fine as long as you don't play Guitar Hero 2 for too long :devil:

14. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    hopefully pioneers plasma 2.0 technology will mark a new start for plasma.

The contrast is quoted as being better than crt, who knows what else the tech will bring. I think people often forget that plasma is actually the newer of the 2 technologies (LCD & PLASMA).

Both have their own place, with the new 1080p plasmas and the promise of future changes i would get rid of my panny LCD in a flash.

I have never seen an LCD produce an image as natural as a plasma, but for gaming etc the plasma is often left behind.

I feel that the green edging issue will also need addressed with the new plasmas and as mentioned the power consumption is not great either.

15. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    I have already purchased a Pioneer Plasma (see my signature line) and have never suffered from screenburn/image retention - and I've never seen an LCD set which can give a picture as natural as a plasma.

Cheers,

Martin.

16. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Nope, just don't like the Plasma look. When I play video games especially I sit close to the screen and all the Plasmas I've seen have dancing pixels everywhere. I need to add though that I've never seen one that's been properly set up, only had a chance to play around in the store.

I was in a Comet store and this young couple were looking into buying a panel based TV. The Comet employee said, "aye, the plasmas need re-gassed every so often". I unintentionally let out this loud snort/laugh and had to leave the store because the three of them were just looking at me :rolleyes:

17. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    I had a very similar experience in a Currys store - sad, isn't it? People think they're getting good advice from experts and meanwhile all they're getting is a load of rubbish.

Cheers,

Martin.

18. Blackbolt360

Blackbolt360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +794
    I hardly ever go into the stores anymore, no disrespect to the employees but they just feed any old ******** to customers. I have had people explaining to me something and I have said "nah dude, thats wrong, because.." and they won't have it, just because they work at a store. I would have said to the couple, "Lies!!! Its all Lies!"

19. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40

one thing that put me off is the smell...

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

__

20. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40

I think Sony paid them to spread the rumour, since it discontinued it's plasma production. :devil: :devil: :devil:

21. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    You mean the same way they (along with their BDA friends) are supposedly recruiting Blu-ray fans to say good things about Blu-ray vs HD DVD in online forums?

Oh, wait!

22. rondha

rondha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I don't think Hannspree, Mirai and AOC have the capability to do such thing.
    Money is power.

While Samsung, Toshiba, Sharp, Phillips and LG are producing both Plasmas and LCDs, they would never stab on their own backs.

The goat is popping out its head. Unfortunately history doesn't stand on its side.

_

23. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Lyris - i think maybe you saw that effect on a Pio screen. Having had both a panny and pio plasma (search the forums) i can say without a shadow of a doubt that the panny had no such effect.

I agree with the gaming sentiment though - but i do feel that with the yearly decrease in plasma pixel size they will soon be closer to LCD. Motion, colour and contrast are already untouchable in many repects - if they sorted the retention and various other niggles i think we could be having very different conversations on here in a few years time.

i am not a plasma fanboy by the way - in fact i have ordered a new 40" samsung lcd. My wee one has to see iggle piggle et al and i would not risk frying a plasma!

24. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    This poll could just as well read "Woul [sic] you buy a plasma if manufacturers solved the regassing issue?" for all its basis in reality.

Had plasmas for five plus years -- Panny 50-inch for four years, and Pio 5000EX for the last year -- and displayed all sorts of stuff on them. Always use OAR, even 4:3 for pillarbox view, played games consoles, used PCs, had kids channels on all day, yadda yadda yadda ... all the stuff that FUD merchants say "don't do that, it will leave screenburn" and not one sign of it.

StooMonster

25. setjellyfish

setjellyfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What screen burn issue? Now if you could fix the darn purple issue on my panasonic I would be well chuffed

26. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    think the poll is a bit of a mis-nomer - as I think most manufacturers have as good as solved the screen burn issue - apart from say Pioneer ...

I for one have NEVER seen any screenburn on my Panasonic PWD8 .. and its had lots of XBOX 360 games on it, and TONNES of kids TV with logos ..

Mark.

27. Sharpen

Sharpen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't agree, we've all heard about the latest 'anti burn' etc. etc. blurb that manufacturers would have you believe but the bottom line is simply that the core substance that plasmas use to produce an image ie the red/green/blue light emitting phosphurs, decays over time - always have - always will - fact.

For example: The red/green &blue pixels responsible for a static white logo on the screen will all be ageing at their maximum rate whereas other pixels showing video images will age at a much reduced rate - hence the logo starts to be noticed (darker) when images with larger areas of one colour are being displayed in that area. (on a different channel of course)

Plasma has served a purpose to supply us all with semi affordable large screen panels, but imho the tide has turned now and LCD rules the waves.
    So lets all stop trying to answer daft questions like 'what if' etc.

28. McKinley

McKinley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I wouldn't buy a plasma, but only because my wonky eyes see yellow flashes on all of them (regardless of age/brand etc). I had a Pioneer plasma for a short while and it was spectacular for both tv, movies and gaming, SD or HD, and if I could have one permanently I would. Sadly I can't, so I'm stuck waiting for an LCD with decent blacks and motion handling.

29. abspag

abspag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree plama is better for viewing dvd satellite and normal tv not good for long sessions of gaming. Screen burn/retention is now not a problem

30. McFaber

McFaber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    'LCD rules the waves'....and what crystal ball are you looking in..:rotfl:
    We should all stop writing now, as this guy has clearly seen into future...:rotfl:
    Tell me a Lcd that out-performs a Plasma on every front that's on sale right now, cause I'm really struggling to think of one...:boring: