Who will win the Six Nations?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by ste v p, Feb 6, 2009.

?
  1. Wales

43 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. England

8 vote(s)
    8.9%
  3. France

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. Ireland

30 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. Scotland

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Italy

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    England shot themselves in the foot. Made a real go of it which was nice to see after a run of dreadful and/or average performances over the past few months. But the penalties and sin bins let England down

Match could have been even closer or gone the other way but for that

Worsley won MOTM but Halfpenny also had a cracking game

2. ps3mad

ps3mad
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Not to bothered really,was to busy watching the football.I know we are the only ones from the six nations to win the world cup,but when you dont play home and away seems a bit piontless to me.Were peak again for the world cup like we always do :thumbsup:

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Gwlader?

Gwlader ;)

4. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    :clap:;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  5. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    ;)

6. Clunk

Clunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Well there goes the neighbourhood...

7. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    :rotfl:

at least the welsh boys haven't started singing in this thread, yet ;)

8. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Morally a victory for england as they scored two tries to one.For me the ref was too whistle happy ,freely giving out penalties that should've been free kicks.The ELV should be taken o board in toto now as free kicks keep the game flowing.Wales were simply playing for penalties as they knew they would find it nigh on impossible to breach the English defence.In fact it took a gross Sackey error before they could.AS for England, very encouraging performance and they will now get stronger and stronger.The sinbinnings are a joke and should only be applied for gross foul play.

as to the next round-- Allez la France!

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    Morally a victory? Did you watch the same game where England was the team which received the yellow cards and sin bins? :laugh:

Each referee has their own standards and tolerance level for a match. Others may have done it differently but having warned the whole team it was very silly to go out and commit that offence five minutes later. They had to expect a punishment even if they did not expect the sin bin. You'd think England would have learned from one :rolleyes:

10. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    What!!!!!

So all those games that England boringly kicked their way to victory were morally won by the opposition??

As for the penalties,I think the ref was too lenient.Wales should have had at least two penalty tries,it was only cynical defence that prevented us from scoring.England played better than they have done for a long time,but they still need a plan that does not involve foul play and kicking for position

By the way LGS,have you noticed who has dropped from 4th in the world rankings,and who has replaced them.Is this the source of your ire:D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  11. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Oh dear this is not going to be a vintage year for the 6 Nations again. :boring:

But what a brilliant suggestion.
    We should have 2 tables. One for whoever scored the most points and won the most games (boring), and another where England always win, either by drop goals (cmon Johnny Jesus), or a "moral" victory (scoring most tries -RARE), or by being unfairly picked on by a ref who wants to apply the rules (unreasonable behaviour).

Excellent idea. Sun never sets and all that.

Good loser LGS.

Excuse me while I get back to my singing. :hiya:

12. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Doomed I tell you!

13. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    This is a wonderful sentence. Not really sure were to start.

Any team that's penalised uses unfair play to ensure that any team that could otherwise "breach its defence," unable to "breach its defence."

Any penalties obtained are ones which one would imagine are ones given by the opposition.

14. Clunk

Clunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Oh absolutely. I for one was appalled at the cynical way that whenever they were within 5-10m of the English tryline, the Welsh team resorted to throwing English bodies on top of the ball at the ruck in order to gain three points. Disgusting behaviour.

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    most of those penalties were a nonsense and in the SH would have been given as free kicks to keep the game flowing.Sin binnings should only be given for acts of foul play as they just unbalance a match ie in this case England having to play with 14 for most of the match.The Tindall one should just have been a penalty thats all.Talk about overreaction lol.
    In my view the ref was definitely wearing a red jersey underneath.How much was he paid?

England - the moral victors scorers of two wondrous tries to Wales -----errr penalty kicks.
    Time for the full ELVs

16. Clunk

Clunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    For what it's worth, your boys would have been run off their feet with those rules. I mean, even with all that slow ball, most of your players seemed to need a lie down at every ruck... ;)

17. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Is it me,or does anyone else sense a bit of trolling here.Or perhaps some of the English really do think they should have won :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

18. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    It is indeed LGS doing a spot of trolling again; I fell for it in last year's thread but not this time. ;)

England did indeed score more trys than Wales, but the incidents which produced the yellow cards would probably had resulted in Welsh trys had the foul not been committed. I'll tell you what, I will agree that they were not yellows, if you give us the 2 extra trys instead.

3 trys to 2, how's that for a moral victory !

19. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    It wasn't most of the match. It was for 10 minute periods at a time which is the whole point behind the sin-bin. As I have already said you would imagine the team would have learned the first time around what kind of standards the ref was setting (and it is worth reminding that a warning was issued prior to the first sin bin). England have only themselves to blame for the lack of discipline and restraint which had a bearing on the result considering the fight they unexpectedly put up
    By that logic you are perfectly fine about the missed penalty kicks from England :)

20. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    It is surprising how many people have not picked up on that fact.

Johnson incorrectly said in his post match interview they played 60 minutes with 14 men, that was then echoed by Inverdale and reported in a couple of newspapers.
    Before we know it, it will become fact.:rolleyes:

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    Absolutely. International players should know better than to test a referee's patience or try the dangerous and naive ploy of seeing what they can get away with. Its basic rugby. I do not even know why it is a discussion point. Play rugby, keep it clean and do not let your team-mates down who have to defend for 10 minutes with a man down. It international rugby and the last thing you want is a numerical disadvantage

Johnson knows he needs to sort it out going by how often he brought it up diplomatically in the post-match press conference

Another fact: 8 yellow cards in 3 matches. I read England did not receive a single card in last year's Six nations. Refs are an easy target but no one least of all the current England coach knows that there is an issue that needs fixing that cannot be attributed to officialdom or whatever else

22. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    moral victory :rotfl:

I'm still laughing at that one :D

23. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Not trolling at all. just offering a different perspective on the game,For me as an England supporter and despite the defeat, I would take more out f the match than if I was Welsh.Whereas I now see England going from strengt so they peak by the next WC,Wales dont offer much more,e have seen what they can do - " biff bang lets look for some penalties" Like England of old but the game has moved on.
    If I was a Lions selector there would not be many Welsh players in the squad thats for sure- G jenkins W jones R jones, Philips, S Jones, Shanklin, Byrne and S Williams is about all.I thought Powell and Roberts looked very overated,meat and drink fro Worsley who was the standout player by a mile.

Nah Wales are overrated.The irish, my hope for the slam, will, if they get their act together, give the leak munchers a thorough spanking:clap:

24. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Not all your compatriots agree with you LGS.England's planning taken from the Baldrick school of cunning strategy:D

I think his conclusion is sufficient............

'This England team are one of the dullest on the planet. James Haskell said before this match: “It's a poor team that doesn't learn from its mistakes. We simply have to be squeaky clean.”

England then proceeded to give away seven penalties in the first 15 minutes and have two men sent to the sin-bin with scarcely half the match gone.

England are a team of dullards coached by a dull manager to play dull rugby. Heaven help us. '

25. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    One blokes skewed opinions count for nothing , lol.I make my own judgments.The moment Wales went 9 up England began turning things round.I was as Borthwick rightly pointed , a stepping stone in the right direction heading to the 2011 WC.I haver no doubt they will win this Mickey Mouse competition before then, but the real crown is the WC

26. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    LGS,let me take you back to November 2003........

'Stephen Jones, Colin Charvis and Martyn Williams claimed three tries for Wales and although Will Greenwood hit back, 23 points from the boot of Jonny Wilkinson ultimately proved the difference.'

Morally,we won the 2003 world cup:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

27. Clunk

Clunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Or to be more accurate, England won it immorally.

28. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,613
    How many Welsh fans do you think are on the forum?
    Well you would hope an international team does not repeat the mistake of having yellow cards and sin bins issued in concurrent matches. Sin bins in an international for experienced players is unnecessary
    You obviously are not watching the same side as the rest of us by ignoring the contribution of Roberts and Halfpenny

The problem with your perception is that you are ignoring the fact when Wales had to do it ugly against England they won. When they play their attacking game as in the first halve against Scotland, they won. Had England's kicking game matched the Welsh's, would you be directing the same criticism at Wales? I think not. Your trolling is nauseas now

29. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Must not feed the skewed troll...:nono:

30. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Looks like it could come down to the Wales v Ireland game to decide the title.