1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who will admit to being a Steven seagal fan?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Sep 13, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    So, who here is a steven seagal fan?
    Now come on, don’t be shy, I know its fashanable to knock his movies, but they do great business on DVD.

I really like Seagals early stuff.
    So what I am going to do is give a brief run down of his movies and try and seprtae out the good seagal from the lazy seagal. Lazy being that he wont even do his own over dubing in the movies and so his voice isn’t his voice in the movies

Lets face it, if you do watch Steven seagals movies then it down to the bone crunching action and not the story or the acting that your interested in.

OK, lets go.

His better efforts in my order of prefernce.
    1) Under Siege.
    2)Under Siege 2
    3)Nico/Above the law.
    4)Marked for death.
    5)Hard to kill
    6) The glimmer man.
    7)Out for Justice.
    8)Belly of the beast.
    9) half past dead.
    10) exit wounds.

Those are my top ten seagal movies. Best to see most of them on region 1 DVD as well, beacyse the BBFC has cut a lot of the good stuff out for the UK region 2 releases.

Next we have the ok, not bad could try harder.

1) fire down below.
    2)The patriot.
    3)Out for a kill.
    4) In to the sun.
    5) Submerged.

These movies are ok, but lack the punch and and the action of seagals early stuff. Also Submerged has Segals dialoge over dubed by someone else :eek:

Then there is the truly rubbish :D

1) Out of reach. hardly any action and all of seagals lines over dubed again.
    2) The forigner. YO steve wheres the action baby? :D

A lot of Stevens recent stuff just isnt up to the standard that his fan base grew with.
    Its a shame because his latest effort. "Today You die" looks to again have most of his lines over dubed by someone else.
    There is a defenate market for lower budget action movies, but there just does not seem to be any one stepping up to make them. Where are all the movies like Comando and Rambo, wheres the die hards and the Blood sports. I tell you where, its all being replaced by CGI and PC correctness thats where! :eek: I wanna see some bone breaking no holds bared action Mr Segal. And whats happend to Jean Claude and good old, showdown in little tokyo, Dolph lungdren? And Brucie baby, I want Die Hard 4 now damit!!!

Whos with me!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave ;)

2. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    :rolleyes:

3. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Whenever I wonder if I have good taste I remind myself that I rented not one but two Seagal movies. In my nightmares I bought them.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    So not a fan then?

come on guys, there must be some seagl fans out there surley?

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    I like his early stuff from late 80's to the 90's. I watched Belly of the Beast on TV the other week and it is his worse film ever. It was really bad.

He is to old now.

6. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I quite like his movies :blush:
    I have under seige 2 on Reg 1

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoyed Marked For Death and Under Siege as well as Exit Wounds and On Deadly Ground, not ashamed to say it either.

8. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love his films...good old fashioned action films, no trying to be smart assed with hidden meanings...ps ...agreed on alot of his recent stuff...his 80s and 90s were the best.....pps...Exit wounds was a return to form though

9. Ufotone

Ufotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have "Hard to Kill" on DVD...think this is a good movie!

And you can take that to the bank!!! :D

Tony :)

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    why the :censored: isnt executive decision in your list. greatest film he has appeared in :D i like that and under seige 1 thats all !!!

11. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Personally I'm not a fan of Steven Seagull, I think Virgil from Thunderbirds 2 is less wooden as an actor :p

Much prefer Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan. Or Gerry Anderson :p

S.

12. misterkraig

misterkraig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seagal is a legend, period. :thumbsup:

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

Executive decison isnt on the list beacuse he is only doing an extened cameo in the film. He dies just as they get on the plane.
    Region 2 is also cut with hes fight with the gaurds at the begining

Cant belive I left On deadly ground of the list. :eek: Another movie that is heavly cut on region 2 :eek:

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    The most cuts that have been made to Seagals films are form the following movies.

Cut to obtain a 15 certificate in 2000. Same cuts to cinema and video versions

On Deadly Ground.· Rumble in the Bar has been cut in several places to remove a head being slammed into a jukebox, two kicks to the groin, a wrist snap, and arm break.
    · A torture sequence has been greatly reduced. We no longer see a pipe cutter being used on a man's leg.
    · The raid on the wilderness cabin has lost a few violent moments: a bullet impact/blood spurt as a thug is dispatched with a shotgun, a thug being clubbed with a piece of ivory.
    · A women crashes her car into an oil tanker causing it to explode: we no longer see her - dazed and bloodied - struggling to get out.
    · A beating of a henchman as Seagal breaks into the
    oil refinery has been cut to remove him breaking an arm and kicks to the chest.
    · The stand-off between Seagal and a group of hired thugs has been toned down: two blows to the head with a piece of lead pipe have cut, a close-up of a knife protruding from a face has been trimmed.

Marked for death.

Same cut version for cinema and video.
    1. The fight in the department store between Seagal and the Jamaicans
    is missing an arm-break (3 secs).
    2. The night-time raid on Screwface's house in Jamaica, has lost another arm-break (6 secs)- this occurs just before Seagal faces Screwface's twin brother.
    3. The end battle between Seagal and Screwface has been cut in two places - firstly a close-up of Seagal gouging out Screwface's eyes is missing (3 secs) and then a few seconds later a vicious back-break (9 secs) after the two have crashed through the stone wall.
    The version showing on Sky TV is also cut (though slightly differently). The recent Channel 5 screening contains all of the above footage - on network television! - in exchange for a brief snip to the opening scene - a hand severing - which is present in the video version.

Under siege.· The confrontation between Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal) and the numerous people in the work shop has been censored by 5 seconds. The scene were one person gets cut up his inside thigh, then under his arm is eliminated. Also trimmed is the person who gets pushed near to the saw we don't see him being kneed in the groin forcing him upwards onto the saw which cuts into his right shoulder.
    · The fight with the last mercenery before Strannix has him have his adams apple ripped out.
    · The final fight between Casey and Strannix (Tommy Lee Jones) has also been shortened we don't see the result of the eye-gouging.

Under siege 2· After Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal) takes a knife from a mercenary we don't see the one second shot of the slash that he makes to his wrist.
    · When the mercenaries are told to sweep the train for an intruder and proceed to check the roof of the train, Ryback kicks someone off the front of it, however we don't see a brief close up of the top half of him being dragged along.
    · Dramatic cuts to the scene when Ryback throws the makeshift bomb at the top of the stairs which is caught by a mercenary, who goes up in flames, we don't see him then knock into another mercenary who also sets alight, after they stagger about for a quite a few seconds, some others try to put them out with coats while Penn (Everett McGill) has another method and shoots one of them in the back before they use extinguishers.
    · The first mercenary down the stairs who gets shot by a flare and ignites, omits the shots of him falling all the way down, who then stands up and is then kicked by Ryback, knocking the guy backwards hitting a doorway before falling out.
    · Next mercenary down the stairs who confronts Ryback we don't see him thrown into the side of the train, then have both his wrists broken before being suddenly brought to his knees.
    · When Ryback is hanging onto the side of the cliff and jumps across to the mercenary who drops a line next to him, after hitting him a few times we don't see Ryback swinging the rope smashing the guys face into the cliff.
    · When mercenary (Peter Grene) sneaks up behind the porter Bobby Zecks (Morris Chestnut), with which Ryback sneaks up behind him, after he flips him to the ground we should see his head being forced back, breaking his neck, hence Bobby's expression and the line Oh ****, you're definitely a bad mother ****er.
    · When Ryback is in the carriage full of hostages we should have another few seconds of the knife that he throws into a mercenary's neck and then him slowly falling to the ground.
    · After Ryback says he's coming to get his niece now to Penn, and mercenery (Patrick Killpatrick) says to him looks like you've ****ed up old man, I say it's time to cut and run, in this country we only get a glimpse of the mercenary removing a knife from his trousers and attempt to stab Penn, who then in a split second removes the knife and stabs him in the front of the neck, who then falls to the ground.
    · When Ryback notices the grenade trap and sets it off he is attacked by another mercenary, when they are rolling about on the floor Ryback breaks his arm.
    · Close up of the knives that Ryback and Penn use before they fight.
    · Don't hear the sound effect of Penn having his neck broken after Ryback does the deed.
    · Once inside the helicopter after the trains crash into each other, Ryback closes the door on Danes fingers severing them as he slowly falls into the fire ball below, before going up in flames.
    The following additional scenes were spotted in the 13 rated Canadian cinema version
    · during the fight with a terrorist where Ryback cuts the terorist's wrist, the fight concludes with Ryback stabbing the terrorist in the neck which is why you see blood on the terrorists chin and sweater when he falls out of the cupboard.
    · Also, during the climatic fight with the lead terrorist at the end Ryback forces the terrorists face onto a hot cooker (no cooking was being done!) This is just before they fall down the stairs. This is why the terrorist has a large red mark on his left cheek when you look at him lying down after falling down the stairs.
    · There is also much more to the final fight in the downstairs kitchen.

15. Adderson

Adderson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I'm just the cook

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

Well said sir :smashin:

17. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    DAve, i got to had it to you - you passion for Steve is :smashin:

however, most of his films have passed me by. doesn't he always play the same guy> ex navy seal/commando/chef/security guard at woolworths/merc or just really ****** off about something guy who over comes the odds in order to bring down the bad guy in a very violent way at the end of the film?

i dont know why but i've seen both the under seige films (die hard on a train and die hard on a boat) about 6 times each - both on TV - and i dont watch movies on TV :eek: :D

although he does have the best mubble in modern cinema :smashin:

Gary

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214

You really need to see under siege and under siege 2 on region 1 dvd to trully appreciate the violence :D

And yep, he pretty much plays the same part in all his films. But god love him, thats we want in a seagal movie ;)

19. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I take it Razor is away on holiday or something? Otherise I'm sure he'd be joining you in creaming his trousers over the talented Mr Seagal... :rolleyes:

20. Charlton Fan

Charlton Fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm more of a Jackie Chan fan myself, but I do like some of Seagal's older films. Have recently got On Deadly Ground and today bought Under Siege 1. I've watched a couple of his newer films and they've been OK.

Chris

21. Fast Jon

Fast Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Haven't seen many of his movies, but enjoyed the Under Siege duo.

22. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    The early ones, such as Nico and Hard to Kill show him at his best, kicks serious butt!! Although Under Siege is a corker also.

But both statements also have something to do with Kelly LeBrock and Erika Eleniak :devil:

Cheers

Andy

23. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Has anybody ever counted more than one expression on Steven Segal's face at any given time?

He always seems to have that screwed up 'constipated' look on his face :D

24. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Well, I havent seen it yet but his latest, today you die, is supposed to be pretty rubbish. Shame really as I was looking forward to it :(

25. bcopping

bcopping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The only film i like of his is under seige, which is a brilliant film (may go and buy it now you have reminded me!!).

Not a big fan of any of his others though.

26. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    He's ok, but I wouldn't go to the cinema or rent a movie. Fine to watch when they appear on TV. Same as Van Damme and even Jackie Chan.

27. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +437
    Not as good as his line:

"I also cook". :thumbsup:

28. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    thats what makes it so great :thumbsup:

29. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ah, I see where your coming from now :D

30. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
    Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,073
    actually i have to say that i quite like the early seagal movies and i still watch his DTV rubbish in the hope that he pulls off something halfway decent.

i got his latest Today You Die today and it felt like i had. although the voice dubbing was gone, his stunt double did all the hard work which just defeats the purpose in a seagal movie. i think he should do an under siege 3 (whether or not it goes DTV) - put everything into it (doing his own voice, his own fights and generally not having a double would be a start) - and then retire forever...