Who/Where do you get your Comics from?

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a little thread to say whom you get your latest issues from if not digital.

I have been with Economic Comics for about 7 months now (thanks to xxxxxxx Newman? from here), and they have been brilliant, but lets give props to anyone else selling subscriptions.

My latest haul includes:

* 1 of: Batman #9 @ £2.45
* 1 of: Batman #10 @ £2.45
* 1 of: Batman and Robin #9 @ £1.85
* 1 of: Batman and Robin #10 @ £1.85
* 1 of: Daredevil #12 @ £1.85
* 1 of: Daredevil #13 @ £1.85
* 1 of: Daredevil #14 @ £1.85
* 1 of: Detective Comics #9 @ £2.45
* 1 of: Detective Comics #10 @ £2.45
* 1 of: Justice League #9 @ £2.45
* 1 of: Rachel Rising #8 @ £2.45
* 1 of: Supercrooks #3 @ £1.85
* 1 of: Thief of Thieves #5 @ £1.85

I get mine from a place in space on ebay. They are very good

Link?

I have my main subscription with economic comics, but also pick up some single issues from Reed comics online and eBay.

If I'm in St Albans I also pop into Chaos City Comics, but this is a rare occasion now as the traffic is so bad there.

I should also add Forbidden Planet and Orbital Comics (Charring Cross road and Covent Garden) and various ebay traders, but no one specific.

Way back as a student I use to buy from Odessy 7 in Manchester, sadly long gone since the bomb in 96. Theses days it's graphic novels from the book depository other than that it's the dark side digital to either iPhone or playbook. I have to say I actually enjoy reading them more that way.

JI have been with Economic Comics for about 7 months now (thanks to xxxxxxx Newman? from here), and they have been brilliant, but lets give props to anyone else selling subscriptions.

Cheers. I'd like to take credit, but I was also put onto them by someone else from this very forum. Can't remember who though.

The only other place I tend to buy comics is Midtown Comics - though if I'm in London and have the time, I do like going to Forbidden Planet.

Hi,

I get my comics and import magazines (Video Watchdog and Rue Morgue) from my local comic book shop in Norwich - ABSTRACT SPROCKET. A tiny shop, but always very warm, friendly and welcoming.

When I go to London, then of course you have the big-hitters like FORBIDDEN PLANET who are great, though you can easily blow a fortune because you keep seeing things you've just got to have. :)

Pooch

Way back as a student I use to buy from Odessy 7 in Manchester, sadly long gone since the bomb in 96. Theses days it's graphic novels from the book depository other than that it's the dark side digital to either iPhone or playbook. I have to say I actually enjoy reading them more that way.

I take it the one at the university gone:( I spent many a hour down there and small fortunes. I think the only one they have in Manchester now is the one off Piccadilly and now one of Forbidden Planet outlets.

Both the old shops in Manchester have been gone for years, I cannot remember which went first but the shop on Oldham Road was just upstairs at first from what I can remember then opened downstairs and shifted the comics down there.

I used to go to odyssey 7 most days when I was at school as my bus stop was at the MBS and then I'd visit the one in town , I can remember getting my sealed Death of Superman polybagged from there and was the first time there was a limit of 2 copies each for that issue.

I've used Travelling Man manchester for the last few years and place-in-space for any specials I'd missed from the store.

I've used Travelling Man manchester for the last few years and place-in-space for any specials I'd missed from the store.
Is that one on road just the other side of the road to the present Forbidden Planet?
I remember one just off Deansgate that had a lot of old comics downstairs and one near the car park market near Tib Street also one upstairs in a building there but only time I been to Manchester in the last few years is when a Hi-Fi shows been on.

I've also used Travelling Man (Leeds I think it was) via twitter and phone and they have been very helpful, getting stock sent from both stores

I've also been using Economic Comics for subs and picking up other one off's from random ebay shops. Don't like buying from the forbidden planet in belfast as I find it's cheaper to get them online (as i don't have to pay for city centre parking) and i get them bagged and boarded online included.

I use my Local Comic Shop.
He's been really good for me over the years & recently helped me source some of the Graphic Novels I'd been looking for.

I love the service from them, can pop in for a chat, get on really well with all the staff & I just enjoy the personal touch.

I have my entire pull list with them & only go elsewhere when I really need too like Ebay for the OOP GN's I've had lately.

My current pull is...

Batman
Detective Comics
Batman & Robin
Justice League
Nightwing
Teen Titans
Ravagers
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
GL: New Guardians
Red Lanterns
Transformers: Re-Generation one
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye
Transformers: Robots in Disguise

It's cheaper for me to buy them locally than use an online service once postage is included everything is bagged...don't worry about boarding at the mo...will do when I switch to long boxes but at the mo they are stacked in Paper boxes I've pinched from work ;) lol

Neil

I've only ever bought graphic novels. Never saw the point in buying the separate tpbs only to have them eventually compiled into a novel for a much cheaper price.
I pretty much buy all of mine from Amazon as they are 99% of the time the cheapest with the odd bargain bought from eBay.

To some though, TPs are a realtively new thing. If you went back 15-20 years to when Forbidden Planet was in whassname street with the drum kits, you would have seen about 3 TPs on the shelf, one of them Watchmen. Now, quite rightly, they are packaging them in sixes or more with a month or so after the last issue has hit the shelves. To the rest of us, myself included, its all about the collecting of it. Why bother having a 1st edition comic when a 5th edition reprint, contains EXACTLY the same content? Because we do. :D

To some though, TPs are a realtively new thing. If you went back 15-20 years to when Forbidden Planet was in whassname street with the drum kits, you would have seen about 3 TPs on the shelf, one of them Watchmen. Now, quite rightly, they are packaging them in sixes or more with a month or so after the last issue has hit the shelves. To the rest of us, myself included, its all about the collecting of it. Why bother having a 1st edition comic when a 5th edition reprint, contains EXACTLY the same content? Because we do. :D

Fair point. I can definitely relate to the collecting side. Im a sucker for comic/superhero related merchandise but when it comes to the individual issues I've always bought the collected volumes.
I must admit I have bought a couple of individual issues purely for the cover art. I make it a point of framing any with particularly striking covers (Spiderman Death & Destiny No4 comes to mind).

A1 comics and Forbidden Planet in Glasgow.

Tried online subscriptions,but i enjoy browsing and shooting it with the guy who runs the shop(A1) as he's got me into some great series over the years like DMZ,100 bullets,Y the last man,the boys etc.

I tend to use A place in space on Ebay for single issues

Graphic Novels from either Amazon or Reed Comics

Or i'll pop into manchester to Travelling man or Forbidden planet to have a look and get single issues.

I've tried a few issues via Digital - just cant get use to that!

I might give Economic Comics a try!

I've gone from collecting single issues to waiting for the trades (but takes too long, especially batman) so looks like i'm going back to singles for Batman, Batman Detective, Dark Knight and for everything else i'll stick to Trades!

But there's nothing like going to your LCS and having a good look and coming home with a bag full of comics:devil:

In fact just got paid so Saturday AM is sorted!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom