1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who wants digital TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AUDITOR, Jul 22, 2005.

1. AUDITOR

AUDITOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am one of those people who, while not always in the first wave of buyers of new technology, particularly in the home entertainment field, I am not usually too far behind.

However, I am seriously concerned about the replacement of analogue television and the introduction of digital services.

My present TV is about 6 years old. As the average life expectancy of a television is about 10 years, I will probably have to replace it before the analogue switch off in 5-7 years. The area where I live cannot receive digital TV broadcasts, and may not until the switch-over. Any new set I buy will have to be an analogue model. The problem is, it will become obsolete well before its 10 year life-span is up and I will have to spend even more on replacing it or buying an additional set-top box.

Like many people, I also own a 2nd TV and some VCRs. None of these can receive digital broadcasts. Again, they will need to be replaced or supplemented with digital tuners.

As far as I can tell, the whole “digital revolution” is nothing more than collusion between the electronics industry and the government to get everyone in the country to spend thousand of pounds on new equipment. Of course, the government will get its share of that in VAT, if not in additional tax revenue from the manufacturers.

2. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a brand new Digital TV. Keep your old VHS recorder with its built-in analogue tuner.

Then when you switch to Digital, you just chuck out the recorder and start using the digital Tuner in the TV.

Problem solved?

Mat

3. AUDITOR

AUDITOR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iIf I use the VCR as the tuner for a digital TV, I won't be able to video anything except the cahnnel I'm watching! Or should I spend even more hundreds of pounds buying videos to daisy-chain so that I can record a differetn channel?

My arguemtn about being coerced into spending large wads of heard-earned dosh still stands

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    The switching off will make money for the government all ends up, it not only will make money out of the VAT but also of the selling off of the air waves.
    I think there should not be a switch of, as I think analogue is a back up.
    Many a time my digital has gone done pixelating and the picture freezing up, and the program is totally un-watchable. Yet even though analogue can be interfered with by atmospherics there is always a picture there.

If the government wants to make money and sell of the terrestrial analogue airwaves the public should not have to have to find the cost to make all there other equipment workable, which after all has also had VAT been paid in.

At least the digital equipment for a period of time should be VAT free.

5. dvdsubtitles

dvdsubtitles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't agree that we should keep analogue. We need to move on from obsolete technologies.

I do agree that Digital coverage isnt spreading as fast as it should though.

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The only concern regarding digital technology, and it applies to others forms such as DAB, is that it is great in theory but if the broadcasters try to pack in too many stations into the bandwidth then it defeats the purpose. Too many SKy pictures are not as good as they could be due to this and I hear that DAB is heading that way too.

7. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    Well, with those beliefs I'm not surprised you're upset.

Amazing how some people can blame the government for just about everything.

Frankly, if I were you I'd be more worried about buying a non High Definition capable TV (which includes just about every CRT, Digital or not).
    At the end of the day, you can always add a freeview box/PVR to whatever analogue TV you buy, when you can receive digital signals, but if you want to benefit from high def you'll be stuffed.
    And sorry to have a go in the first paragraph - but if you think that digital TV is a waste of money, ask a question on the Sky forum as to whether everyone there would swap their Sky+ boxes for the old analogue service.
    And if you don't know about Sky+, PVR's etc, I suggest you read up on here before any purchases.

Phil

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I'd like digital TV but everywhere that I've lived so far my Freeview box hasn't been able to receive a decent signal. These are heavily populated areas too. :(

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    My sister just bought a Panasonic IDTV and it has a built in analog tuner TV too.
    I thought this was the norm on IDTVs.

Surely this would be ideal for you?

10. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    if I were you I'd wait until your tv gives up the ghost and then buy an HDTV complaint set either LCD DLP or Plasma amnd stop worrying about any supposed collusion. HDTV is the way forward.

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You mean to say that you haven't yet sampled the delights of on screen logos throughout the programme and adverts for what's coming next interfering with your viewing plus the red dot trying it's hardest not only to distract you but also to burn itself into your screen. You don't know what you've been missing.

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Red dots - not on Freeview

I'll be glad when analogue goes, Emily Moor jamming station will be unable to jam Sutton Coldfield DTTV during dodgy weather

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    He he.

I forgot about that, it has become second nature if watching a W/S and they happen, I switch to terrestrial and zoom the picture or just switch off.

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    bought my audiolab 8000a today :thumbsup:

15. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,475
    What type of IDTV is that?

Phil

16. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think that the conclusion will be for many people that an outboard tuner will be the way forward, whether it be a digibox or PVR. The success of Sky and Freeview has shown that people want more channels, and greater variety. The interference issues are valid at the moment, but the signal strength is necessarily low to avoid analogue interference.

As a reply to the red dot/DOG crowd, on the four/five channels you get now none have DOGs, and this remains the same on digital. The only channels with DOGs are the digital only channels, so if I had to choose between a channel or a DOG I know which one I would go with. Also, if you do your research you can find out which boxes (like the IPlayer) enable you to turn off the red button (broadcast applications). So all we're left with is widescreen pictures being the main difference. Oh, wait, almost every television coming out now is the 16:9 ratio. You'd be hard pressed to buy a decent sized flat screen that wasn't widescreen.

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I think what people want is not so much quantity as quality.One thing that has struck me about the analogue diehards is they cannot see how all these extra channels will benefit them when the majority broadcast bilge.5 channels of reasonble quality versus hundreds of channels of utter rubbish - no contest. They might be persuaded if the likes of ITV2,3 and E4 upped the ante and produced good quality. Then we need to see some decent tv listings in the papers to cover those channels plus BBC3 & 4. As for Sky and cable ? Forget it! That is more like american tv ugh!

18. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Your point is certainly valid, digital channels ought to maintain the quality of output that the 5 analogue channels have. For a start, I believe the BBC channels are excellent. BBC 3 shows some great comedy (new Smoking Room, mighty boosh) and you can get a front row seat for every Proms concert on BBC 4.

The ITV channels are trying, The key for them seems to be old popular drama from 15-20 years ago. Some of which is not bad, quite watchable if you have the time. If you like Pop Idol (which plenty of people do) you can see American Idol, which is same **** different wrapper to me. Also, you've got live TDF at the moment, without which you'd have to fork out for Sky to see.

E4 is predictably bad at the moment if you don't like BB. If you do, it's perfect. E4 seems very much like an extension to T4 (OC,One Tree Hill, all that rubbish), but occasionally they show good shows which are popular (Scrubs, Sex&City, Desperate Housewives) all of which rate well on terrestrial analogue.

The other channels are becoming increasingly niche. ABC1 is an acquired taste, but has some good shows (Scrubs, 8 Simple Rules). M&M is repeating too much at the moment. UKTV History has some great output occasionally (Blue Planet weekend) and should look to increase this.

My question is: have you tried Freeview?

19. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    Absolutely right.
    This is especially evident on certain european subscription channels which are almost unwatchable.

20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    no I havent as yet but going back to Sky my belief is that:

I accept that UK channels have merit as do the Discovery ones but so many like Bravo, Living or the ones with semiclad bimbos????Waste of space to me.I think all this choice is just an illusion frankly and only serves to irritate. I reckon Sky ONe should be broadcasting high quality home made progs, there should be no more than 3 pop/rock channels,3/4 movie channels, Uk progs , Discovery,History, Sky News, Performance and the sport channels plus radio stations and thats it. Sky sports 1 and 2 to broadcast the same sports respectively( for eg footy on one and rugby on two) which would be repeated later on 3 or xtra.This would stop people having to subscribe to
    more than one premium channel if they dont wish to.

21. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Won't the freeview picture be better once analogue is switched off, because the strength of the signal will be turned up.
    They can't do that at the moment because it would interfere with the analogue signal.
    The picture will most probably be better than Skys' then.

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you have some prettygood points there LGS...how many times do you flick through 'n' hundred channels just to find nothing worth watching?

23. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, the Government has already sold off the airspac used by analog TV hence their eagerness to get us all 'switched over'.

24. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    It's not that simple.

Broadcasters have to pay for the amount of bandwidth they use so the likes of ITV are unlikely to increase thie bit rate output when it'll cost them more.

Ever noticed why the adverts are always 'artefact free' and 'pixel perfect' even though the programme they are part of sometimes ISN'T. It's because as far as commercial channels go, the companies that advertise are the paying customer and pay a LOT for an ad slot. Although as far as ITV goes it should be them paying th eas makers for providing entertainment in ITVs ever increasing DIRE DROSS EXCUSE FOR 'TELEVISION' !

25. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    I'm sorry. I'm missing the connection between signal strength and bandwidth.

Yes, of course it's that simple. Much of the reception difficulty people have is with limited strength, not bandwidth. Strength is limited to prevent co-channel interference with analog transmissions. Once these are turned off, the ERP of digital frequencies can and will be increased.

This has nothing to do with compression.

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Frankly ONCE was too often :boring:

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes but of course that won't mean that the pictures will improve for everyone when the power is turned up. Only those who have reception problems. Once you've gone over the threshold where the BER (Bit Error Rate) is near zero, you'll see no improvement at all.