Quantcast

Who uses there LCD TV just as a TV?

What do you use your LCD TV for?

• As a normal "telly" mainly for watching TV but also videos and DVD

Votes: 59 64.1%
  • Don't use it as a TV but for watching DVD's and/or with a gaming console and/or with a PC

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • For watching DVD's only

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Mainly for DVD and/or gaming and/or with a PC but watch some TV

Votes: 27 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dune

I have been reading the forum for a while now and many posters seem to place a lot of value on being able to connect a gaming console or PC to their LCD TV.

I have been wondering if watching TV (freeview or sky) on TV is of secondary importance and so people are not so bothered about the performance of their LCD in this regard, hence the poll.

Likewise do some people only use the LCD for watching DVD's?

Dave

richard plumb

mostly as a normal TV.

But if I was buying now, I'd certainly be considering 'near future' issues - that would include sky HD, bluray movies, xbox/PS3 etc.

I think thats why there is quite a bit of focus on that now - especially with Xbox 360 just around the corner

HHGTTG

neilmcl said:
I didn't spend £1300 just to use my LCD as a monitor. Definitely a TV replacement.
Well, I certainly won't be spending that amount either to use mine for Xboxes and the rest of the paraphernalia that a lot of people seem to want them for.

For me, it will be watching TV in my lounge/sitting room/drawing roome etc. via analogue/Freeview and watching the occasional DVD, if I can find any decent cheapos.

lazarus

my 32" lcd is mounted to my chimney breast - at the flick of a switch i can go from watching sky, to watching a dvd, to surfing for frankie vaughn to playing resident evil 4.

not bad at all.

stlic

Currently Sky+ and in the future most likely SkyHD. Occasionally a DVD or two but primarily TV viewing.

SeanT

I use mine for Sky+, DVD and SVHS/VCR as tuner playback, bought the scaler to improve the picture with Sky+ and SVHS, but my PC is connected to it too as it's in the same room :)

HHGTTG

lazarus said:
my 32" lcd is mounted to my chimney breast - at the flick of a switch i can go from watching sky, to watching a dvd, to surfing for frankie vaughn to playing resident evil 4.

not bad at all.
This whole wall mounting thing intrigues me. Some people I know have their LCD/Plasma mounted fairly high up on their wall in, what seems to me, to be a rather unnatural position resulting in having to crane one's neck upwards to view the screen!

When I'm watching TV, on my sofa, from about 8 to 10 feet away I like to watch it in a near horizontal plane or slightly downwards I suppose. At the moment this in dictated by having a 'normal' CRT TV on its own stand as most were like this in the past. This apparent modern obsession will high wall mounting seems a bit of an unnatural viewing habit?

:nono:

sandstheman

I use mines for pretty much everything, mainly for TV and DVD's and then PC and Xbox and even my digicam for viewing slideshows :D

If you can use it, why not, it's not as if it's going to degrade the viewing experience of watching DVD if i also use the tv as a computer monitor. I guess the problem comes in trying to plug all those devices in and keep it tidy, and i know how it feels having to deal with a rats nest of cables, but you can't beat surfing the internet from the comfort of your sofa, and then being able to switch to TV or DVD at the press of a button

RockySpieler

Novice Member
Mainly for HTPC use: HD films, web-browsing, freeview tuner card, haven't really got any games.

You haven't lived until you've seen the itunes visualizer at 32" widescreen!

rjknight007

Standard Member
I use my Sharp Aquos GA3 LCD purely for DVD viewing. The reason being that the Freeview picture quality is just god awful.

Smiffy 2

Freeview and DVD viewing.

Wouldn't even know how to plug the PC into it, and as for the playstation and XBOX.........they're to keep the kids quiet in their bedrooms.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

SeanT

HHGTTG said:
This whole wall mounting thing intrigues me. Some people I know have their LCD/Plasma mounted fairly high up on their wall in, what seems to me, to be a rather unnatural position resulting in having to crane one's neck upwards to view the screen!

When I'm watching TV, on my sofa, from about 8 to 10 feet away I like to watch it in a near horizontal plane or slightly downwards I suppose. At the moment this in dictated by having a 'normal' CRT TV on its own stand as most were like this in the past. This apparent modern obsession will high wall mounting seems a bit of an unnatural viewing habit?

:nono:
agreed, I now have three holes in the wall above the level of my LCD on it's new floor stand!!!!

Dune

Thanks to those who responded to the poll so far.

The reason I posted it was I see a lot of posts in the forum from people asking about the best way to connect PC's and consoles to their LCD. I was starting to wonder if the enthusiasm for LCD was driven purely by PC and console use rather than the fact they make a good TV.

We need to new TV and expect to buy after Christmas but it will definitely be for use as a TV for watching freeview and DVD and Videos.

It is therefore reassuring to see a high proportion of people using their LCD's as TV's.

The wife likes the look of the Panny 500 series plasmas on the cabinet stand but I am not so sure a plasma is a good idea for us as the kids have been known to leave the TV switched on after cartoon network has ceased transmission on freeview/top up tv. They leaves the same image on the screen for ages and so the thought of screen burn is putting me off but the other side of the coin is that I think plasmas still have the edge on performance over LCD's.

If people are happy with their LCD's as TV's then that helps reassure me I won't be disappointed if we go the LCD route.

Dave

sandstheman

Dune said:
Thanks to those who responded to the poll so far.

The reason I posted it was I see a lot of posts in the forum from people asking about the best way to connect PC's and consoles to their LCD. I was starting to wonder if the enthusiasm for LCD was driven purely by PC and console use rather than the fact they make a good TV. ....

Dave
It's most likely because it's not difficult setting up the LCD for use as a TV, so most questions come when people start to get curious about connecting other devices to the TV