1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who uses GPS on their PDA?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by bob mushroom, Dec 26, 2003.

1. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am considering purchasing TomTom's Navigator 2 for my IPAQ 2210 for use mostly in the car - I am also looking to add on Trafcam for £79.

I was wondering what people's views are who use their PocketPC as a Satnav device?

Please let me know your experiences.

2. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Definitely recommended by me. I also use Tomtom Nav, and find it excellent. Satnav was a £2k option when I bought my car, and Tomtom is just as good, far cheaper, and I can take it into other cars, hire cars on business trips etc.

Hearty thumbs up from me!

3. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Its fantastic, also bought the USA maps for a trip to NJ.
    Only complaint, no upgrade for trafalgar square.

JOhn

4. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    thank you for the responses - looks like TomTom is the one I will be going for - but oaklandraiders has bought up an interesting point. How often will i need to upgrade the maps for accuracy and how much will that cost? Can anyone give me an idea.

5. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It depends how often Tomtom upgrade, which is not so often. For someone living in Edinburgh, version 1 of the map had the teensy disadvantage that the Forth road bridge wasn't included, meaning some interesting routing options getting presented! V2 has sorted that, and I certainly notice far fewer oddities than I used to!

6. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    They do free upgrades but not very often.

JOhn

7. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  8. vdub

vdub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for my ignorance, basically what do you need to get sat nav from a Mobile and PDA, also is there are charge once you have the equipment (like a call cost whilst using sat nav)

9. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Basically you need a PDA (eg IPAQ) and some form of GPS receiver - such as CF card, bluetooth connection, serial connection etc. That allows you to receive the signals which could tell you where you are - they are free (well, the American raxpayer no doubt paid handsomely for them).

However you also need to interpret those signals, so you need some software, such as Tomtom. It takes the signals, works out where you are, and plonks that data into mapping software. There's a charge for buying this, but none for using it.

Some of these can integrate with traffic info, and this may be charged if collected via phone (call charges) or may be free if collected over the radio (I'm speaking here of the German traffic systems as I'm not sure of the UK ones).

It's not the most scientific explanation! I'd suggest a read of the below website for more and better info!

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/

10. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Additionally you can download (from pocketgps) POI data (Points of Interest) that are the known locations of traffic and speed cams cams. You can then integrate this into the tomtom maps and it will give an audible warning as you approach speed cameras if you are above the speed limit for that camera.

I have a Honda Accord Type-V (which is for sale if anybody wants it :)) which has a built in sat nav on a 5"/6" screen. I've got a new Audi A4 (which isnt for sale :)) which had a £2k option for sat nav. Ouch! So I went the pda route and plumbed in the pda version into the accord and compared them. They pretty much calculacted the same route and made announcements for turning etc at roughly the same time. The maps looked very similar in presentation.

The built in satnav did acquire the sat signals quicker and could recalculate the route quicker if you wandwandered of fthe path.

but hten £2k compared to £500 ish (depending on models/pdas) not much of difficult desicion really. I went for an iPaq with bluetooth and went for the TomTom with bluetooth - much easier with less wires.

The bonus of being able to switch cars and use it outside while walking too is a great bonus. We went on a med cruise this year and visited Barcelona, Rome etc. I bought the European Maps for TomTom and downloaded the relevent cities to the iPaq prior to sailing (as well as the UK maps).

The pda navigated us from Leeds to the Southampton docks and then showed us around the citites when we got there - the colleseum, Trevi Fountain and The Forums where a breeze to find!

Pluse I took extra SD cards with MP3s on and I used it as an MP3 player as well. Great!

One of my better purchases

11. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use TomTom and would not go any distance now without it. Very accurate, and if you add the speedcam database and other points of interests, then you wonder how you ever managed without gps.

You can also link to your mobile to get traffic info from the internet.

I am considering Traffic-i instead of traffic master. Its only £39 pa, and will show maps on a symbiam (nokia or ericsson) mobile

12. redmax

redmax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just to add my comments to the above:
    I am a total newbie regarding GPS but recently puchased TomTom 2 Bluetooth & iPaq 2210 and absolutley love it.
    Its very easy to set up once you get your head round it all.

www.pocketgps.co.uk is an excellent resource for newbies.
    I travel 2000 miles a month by car minimum and don't know how I ever lived without it.
    Never mind POI speed cameras, whats really good is that someone has databased Burger Kings throughout the UK!!!

here
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

13. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I use the ALDI Medion package PDA, Car mount, charger and Navigon software (Maps dated June 2003!) which I bought for only £349...
    It is brilliant...I now have the audio input connected to my Blaupunkt headunit and it works just like a mobile phone...i.e. Interrupts the radio, cd or mp3 from the radio when the friendly lady wants to give me voice directions and she does that via the car speakers....
    Unfortunately no UK map data support the Traffic Message Channel on RDS yet for PDA's...so I bought a trafficmaster freeway for just £24.95 which give me upto date traffic information....So no more finding myself in a traffic jam just after I passed an motorway exit...No worries about not knowing the route as Navigon automatically (like all the others) recalculates my route.....

Go for it....You won't regret it....

And yest...go to pocketgps for the best information...

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    If I got Tomtom for my Ipaq 2210 could I use it whilst walking in the Peak District or Yorkshire Dales or does it just do roads ?

15. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  16. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best way to do that is with a bluetooth GPS reciever, that way the reciever is self powered, not plugged into the ciggy lighter in your car. TomTom is road mapping software not for use off road. you need Memory map for that the new version (2004) of MM even dose 3D terains and the like!

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/how_it_works.htm

As a side note I have TomTom3 at the mo & memory map on order.

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Cheers for the info. I assume if I buy the Bluetooth version of TomTom I can use use GPS hardware for Memory Map ?
    I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Memory Map software when you get it.

18. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats correct, but you will need to install the GPS driver V2.07 as anything above locked the bluetooth COM port to TomTom.

Installed MM now, haven't had a chance to play (yet) but its V impressive so far :smashin:

19. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry to hijack your thread but you folks obviously know what you're talking about ......

I've just purchased a Toshiba E750 PDA which I am very happy with, I now want to set the unit up with GPS, I would like it to be portable and as such am looking for a receiver that will use by CF slot. Can anyone recommend such a receiver and also what software is best to use (only need road/street maps for the UK and maybe Europe).

Thanks

20. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/menu_gpshardware.php for your reciever and IMHO TomTom is the software you want.