Who uses 5.1/7.1 analogue outputs?

alcarmichael

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a Blu Ray player such as the Oppo 95 to my system, it will be connected by the analogue outputs to an Arcam AVP700 processor.

Anyone using the analogue outputs would like to comment on their findings?

Cheers,
Al

I have a legacy preamp Tag AV32R.

I use M/C analogues from my Denon 3800 blu ray player, now discontinued.

The Denon 2012UD blu ray player is £650 and I personally rate it well above the Cambridge Audio 751BD player (= Oppo 95 basically).

I strongly recommend you demo the denon 2012, as well as the Oppo or CA-751 mentioned above. Richer sounds should let you demo the 751 at home.

But as I say I preferred the Denon, it was more musical sounding and had better imaging (of audio) , each to their own though :)

i should add that using M/C analogues with the right interconnects (latter v important and worth a modest investment, ie. do not skimp) does sound sublime.

It also has the debatable benefit of decoding and doing the DA conversion closer to the source thereby reducing jitter. Having said that, I have never had or used a HDMI amp to compare the 2.

I use 5.1 rather than 7.1 as I don't have the space or extra amp for 2 more channels but its fine for me.

Thanks for your response.

Does the 3800 have DTS re-encode through coax or optical output? If so have you tried this for comparison?

There are plenty out there with analogue outputs. I'd just like to hear (or read) from people who have experience with using them, whether they be positive or negative.

I think you will find the likes of Samsung LG to be lacking, down to the components and DACs used. I tried a Sharp and felt the same about that.

Whichever you go for, I would advise going for a player that

A- has a crossover known to be fixed at 80Hz

or

B- has a variable crossover that allows you to set it at 80Hz.

and one that also allows speaker trims settings ie. large/small/absent - distances - db

bass management, above, is crucial to success and the early budget players (and I bet that Samsung) I believe had it set at 100Hz which won't suit your system unless perhaps you have microsatellite speakers.

Even the early Pioneer blu ray players had it set at 100Hz AFAIR.

So my advice would be only to consider the Denon 2012, Oppo and Cambridge Audio players, I'm sure that they offer trims and proper bass management. If new Pioneer models allow 80Hz now then you could consider one of those too.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom