1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who thinks Battle of Britain should be remade?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Stuart Wright, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    As an aside, did anyone else notice the various filming techniques copied in Pearl Harbour from Saving Private Ryan? The lack of music in the battle sequences, shaky camera and even the ground-down lens producing vertical shimmering bands of light?
    Anyhow, awestruck by the straffing, bombing and dog fighting sequences in Pearl Harbour, it occurred to me that one classic movie ripe for a remake would be Battle of Britain. Maybe some of the Private Ryan/ Band Of Brothers (more sobering) approach might be more appropriate.
    While the original film is brilliant, the effects are a bit naff in places by today's standards, and the horror of being in London during the Blitz and the fear of raw pilots isn't portrayed as deeply as they might do today.
    Could be a cracking film.

2. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Point well put.
    It'd be great to see a film using todays digital technology to show the battle of britain, V1's, V2's spitfires, stuka's etc etc, the destructions of some of the great cities, the heroism of the groundcrew, aircrew and the common man - I could go on and on but I reckon a tribute film of some sort is well overdue - I can't help but wonder if the BBC would be just as willing to finance (or part finance) such a project given that it would'nt have the likes of spielberg, hanks at the helm.

3. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The first thing they could do is remaster it and release it on DVD.

If they do decide to do it, I think the following points should be observed.

1. No drawn out dreary love stories.
    2. Factual information, not the Americans had a big role in it.
    3. The languages in the film to be correct, not Germans speaking English with a German accent!
    4. None of that jerky filming as used in Private Ryan and Gladiator, it makes me sick watching it (and the best bits are missing).
    5. Panoramic shots used throughout the film like used in Conan, Ben Hur, Sergio Leone film's, Tora!, Tora!, Tora! and the rest.
    6. Music by Jerry/Joel Goldsmith or Danny Elfman.
    7. Not so well known actors to be used (big stars are too type casted).
    8. Done on a documentary style format.

I consider Tora!, Tora!, Tora! to be one of the best war films ever made, considering the special effects available at the time. It covered the war from both sides and used their original languages and each countries own popular actors. They would have to produce one hell of a film for me to acknowledge it as being better than Tora! Tora! Tora! :)

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yes but if it was remade, it would be financed my the yanks, then History changes. Pilots from South Dakota flying P51 Mustangs painted bright silver (great camouflage) They win the Battle of Britain hands down instead of fighting a hard battle. ;)

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    mmmm speaking as an enthusiastic movie goer rather than from the scriptwriters' guild, I imagine that the dreary love stories may have been included to help emphasis the feeling of loss when the loved one is killed or injured. E.g. Christopher Plummer and Susannah York inthe original. Though that was interestingly done because their relationship was going through tough times because of the war.
    Thinking of Gladiator, I've realised that you don't need this. Maximus' feelings for his family are clear and when he discovers them burned, there's no mistaking the strong emotion of the moment conveyed through his acting/the music etc.
    Anyhow, agreed that they ought to remaster and release the original. I wonder why they haven't already.
    Considering the cast list - Michael Caine, Trevor Howard, Curd Jürgens, Ian McShane, Kenneth More, Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Michael Redgrave, Ralph Richardson,
    Robert Shaw, Susannah York and Edward Fox (and those are just the names I recognise from the IMDB).
    The music was awesome, too.
    I'm amazed that it only got a BAFTA nomination.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nice thought Spectre! I'd love that!

But just the same you could apply the same to lots of other old movies... I'd personally likt to see a remade Damb Busters.

I've been drinking... excuse me if this is difficult to read.

7. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No No No No No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you'll get is a dumbed down, inaccurate american products that debases the whole sacrifice of "the few".

I personally do not think their are equivalent actors available today of Robert Shaw's, Kenneth Moore's etc calibre.

Ron Goodwins soundtrack is virtually legendary and to see it replaced by some over blown, melodramatic, inferior, musicly shallow pap by Hans Zimmer would make me puke.

I hate the poor editing techniques used by the likes of Michael Bay. It is sham to disguise poor film making, plus insulting to the intellect. Some of us can concentrate on an image longer than 2 seconds.

The most I would suggest would be to enhance the original, by the use of CGI. "Star Trek The Motion Picture" was recently improved by this technique. This should be handled by a company like Foundation Imaging who would show great respect for the original product and not just dump in some obvious CGI footage that detracts from the original. ILM although talented seem to exhibit a style over substance mentality.

8. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah... Anyone remember "Memphis Belle" directed by David Putnam? The true story of an American Bomber and its crew... except that the original story was about an English Lancaster and her crew but they couldnt get the backing to make the movie unless they changed it to a Yank crew...

And wasnt their similar with U1571 (or whatever the number was) where the americans single handedly help the brits crack the enigma code....

9. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I like this idea but it will never happen though.:)

10. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I'd like to see a new Battle of Britan film too. It can't be made to some of the specifications thrown out on this thread! The film ought to have an embedded love theame or two. An example of an effective use of such, IMO, would be the little brewing romance portrayed in SINK THE BISMARCK.

That funky love triangle in PEARL HARBOR spoiled the soup for sure. PEARL HARBOR is a blueprint about how not to make a movie. It was painful to sit through, despite some dazzling sequences. It's been quite awhile since I saw BATTLE OF BRITAN but it didn't exactly light a fire under me. Given the cast, it was somewhat of a disappointment, not like PEARL HARBOR is/was though! Michael Baye should be keel-hauled!

Gargoyle, how would V1's and V2's figur into The Battle of Britan? Shouldn't they be reserved for one of the sequels? B.O.B. pt. 2: LANCASTER NIGHTS, pt. 3: THE MESSERSCHMITT MASH, pt. 4: ZE ORIGINAL ROCKET BOYZ IN ZE HOOD < a great spot for V-weapons!

The chapter about B.O.B. in P.H. sure wet my appetite for a really bitchin' film about ze autumn air battle. How many real areoplanes stille exist? Where do you buy Messerschmitts, Hinkel's, and Hurricanes? It seems like the farther we move away from 1945, the harder this film gets to make. Well, atleast using some real props, errr, aeroplanes.

I'd hate for this proposed film to be nearly entirely computerized, somehow...!

Pointon, I can hardly imagine DAMBUSTERS witout Michael Redgrave,:)! I'm anxious to see DAMBUSTERS on DVD. I have a VHS tape of it that's pretty cheesey. It doesn't play very often on telly here (U.S.), presumeably because of the dog...? It's not PC enough I suppose?

I don't understand why some folks on this board expect Hollywood to make films to their specifications? Hollywod did fairly good at making some decent WW2 films in the 60's and 70's. Those dayz are long over. Times change, audiences change. Real, vintage WW2 audences are literally a dying breed. My own father, who was a 14 year old living at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec. 1941, recently passed on. He would of loved a new Battle of Britan film, same as me! Hollywood ain't makin' much of nothin' any of us want anymore, least ways any of us over the age of 17 seemingly....ugh! ...like dude, where's my movie...?

Hollywood proably sees a remake of B.O.B. as an expensive and risky propesition? Those of us participating in this discussion all want it, but what about joe blow? Joe doesn't give a #!&*^!$. Joe's too busy watching SORORITY HOOKERS DO DENVER and the like to care! We all know who Hollywood caters to these dayz.

:rolleyes:Best wishes guyz!

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    mmm V1s and V2s only figured near the end of the war, didn't they? So they wouldn't be in a BOB movie. Although I bet you could make some pretty spetacular sequences using the latest techinques to show how pilots flipped the V1s over with their wings.
    Anyhow there are a few original Spitfires and Hurricanes left, I think. A few years ago when I lived in Sheffield, there was a memorial fly-past up at the Ladybower lake where the Dam Busters used to practise. Unfortuntely the Hurricane had crashed just before and so we got the Spitfire, the Lancaster and a Mosquito. Richard Todd showed up. Seeing the Lancaster do a slow, low fly-past was just awesome.
    I don't think the Dam Busters movie is as significant as BOB. The Dam Busters raid itself was tactically nowhere near as significant as the winning of the BOB.
    Anyhow, I saw a local news story recently (local because Spitfires were made in the Midlands) that showed a team of blokes who would build you a Spitfire for something like a third of a million.
    I still think the Spitfire is the most beautiful plane ever built.
    'Good Afterrrnoon'
    'I'll good afternoon you, you Bosh Bastard!'

12. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Okay but you have you admit that recently US films have been stretching the truth to a great extent to please the home market, rather than tell the truth of how it actually happened. The reason a lot of these new war films are becoming popular is because the truth is more accurate than the propaganda dished out at the times the films were made. People do not want to see films about heroic people and love affairs, mainly they are after the noisy action scenes (Saving Private Ryan as an example). Why do you think Star Wars does so well, it's because of the noisy action. :D

13. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    U-571 always seems to come up in these discussions. It's a fiction film. It's not a historical document and we're not Thermians, are we?:D! Other than PEARL HARBOR, I can't think of a recent Hollywood WW2 film that makes any attempt to be anything but fiction. THE THIN RED line proably gives a pretty good look at what island-hopping in the Pacific theatre was like, but it's fiction. SPR...the same, but it is based on 4 or 5 brothers who died together on a destroyer.

ENEMY AT THE GATES is the closest thing to a historical document just lately...si? Even it must be laced with fiction and I think the director is a Frenchman? I wish we could get more history-based films and not just about WW2. With the sums of money being spent on films these dayz, I wish they'd create more films with "lasting value". Given recent trends I'm not holding my breath. There's always books...

14. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Black Hawk Down looks like being an accurate depiction of an event...

Past the crime plot of Three Kings there was quite an accurate account of the closing stages of the Gulf War.

Films like U571 and Saving Private Ryan should be criticised for (with the exception of the enemy nations) leaving the rest of the world out of the World Wars. The sad reasoning is that these films are enjoyed in America more for their 'light' entertainment value than for their merit as accurate historical accounts. SPR was probably only enjoyed for the 'action scenes', in the same way that they would be enjoyed in any old action film. The whole point of war films is missed on Hollywood, who want to see good-ol' American boys wasting the enemy, and sod any vision that the director or writer may have had. What better setting than those very convenient minor skirmishes, such as the world wars?

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Perhaps we could redress the balance a little by getting a British director to film the recent American excursion into Somalia.

I don't think that there is any truth in the rumour that Hollywood is making a film about Christopher Columbus (well known American explorer) who sailed across the seas to discover Europe.

Sorry Rachael

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Once being into aircraft in a big way my knowledge of them isnt to bad.
    I believe there are quite a few Spitfires flying today, way into double figures, once being Airfield gate guards, they are being taken down and restored.
    I believe there is an original Messerschmitts Bf109 flown in the uk with a Daimler Benz engine, most flown today are Spanish built with Merlin engines.Its based in Duxford where I think they also have the only flying Zero. most flown today are Spanish built with Merlin engines.
    Mosquitos, from what I know of the last one crashed near a show about 2 years ago in England.
    Hurricanes, there is a few but not as many as the Spitfire.
    P51 Mustang, I believe there are quite a few of these about , original designed for the R.A.F in America. Quite a few of these were upgraded for the Texas air races.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are some nice old planes in Greece if anyone fancies popping out to have a look at them.

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    I think it should be left alone, would you want The Great Escape made again (note no Americans escaped), Battle of Britain is a classic in itself, also as already said you would not get the same calibre of actors. And the film feel was just right. I would rather they did something like the Band of Brother than a new film. I wouldn’t mind seeing the original brought out in full widescreen.
    Buy the way William Walton shared the credits with Ron Goodwin on the music score; I think he did the aerial music!

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

19. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    A while back I bought the music CD from Amazon. It had the final music score by Ron Goodwin with the memorable music-only aerial combat sequence using Walton's original piece. Then it has all of Walton's original but rejected music plus the trailer in mpg format. Cool.
    You know I heard that Walton's music was rejected because there wasn't enough of it. And there isn't a great deal. Made me think about how much music is written for movies. Walton wrote about 20 minutes worth including the 6 minute 'Scramble - Battle in the air' piece. Goodwin wrote over 50 minutes worth for it. Dances with Wolves over 50 minutes, more than an hour in Gladiator, Predator's music CD has 1 hour, 9 minutes and 45 seconds. Well over an hour in Saving Private Ryan.

20. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thor, my take on U-571 is that all three real-life incidents where Enigma machines were captured are far too dull to make exciting films. As far as the American crew, these are actors the studio thought would draw at the box office. Mathew McConaughey is a hot young rising star. Then you've got old reliables Bill Paxton, Harvey Keitel, David Keith, and then throw in Jon Bon Jovi and you'd predict a good chance at box-office success, maybe...?

If there were was a lot of Anglish actors that the studio had this kind of confidence in, this film might have been set from a British point of view. But (!), I guar-ooon-tee you it stille would of taken liberties with the facts for dramatic purposes. Unless, of course, it was filmed as a documentary for The History Channel or similar entity.

I can see it now, U-572, the sequel! Hugh Grant is the captain....:D! Maybe we could work Julia Roberts into the script too? Hmnnn....

:rolleyes: Ian, come on, everybody knows that Christopher Lloyd discoverd Europe in the Back To The Future series....or was it Bill and Ted....hmnnn?:)

Garret, the LD is widescreen, if you're equiped to spin big discs. The last time I saw BATTLE OF BRITAN was, 7 or 8 years ago, via the LD copy I checked out of the University of Tennessee library. You might find a copy on the cheap side the way things go these dayz? I fish lonesome LDs off e-bay on a regular basis por dinero minima.

I don't expect Hollywood to cater to my tastes, what ever they are, sci-fi actually. My fav CHILDHOOD'S END stille isn't a film! :confused:! Well, I also like war movies too. American studios sure aren't catering to that taste either. The studios are alienating the older crowd, over 13 that is. I and most of the other American filmaholics I know are really put off with Hollywood in general. The reasons are obvious aren't they? Hollywood caters to it's own vanity and the all-mighty dollar!

I wish the U.K. was producing as many films as it used to, maybe BOB would get remade. Maybe there are as many British films as ever? But, here it seems all we get are the comedies. I'm a regular at the local arthouse where the British films typically play. I see all of them that are offered, stuff like: EAST IS EAST, SAVING GRACE, WAKING NED DEVINE, STIFF UPPER LIPS, BILLY ELLIOT, and holy cow Batman (!), MP's HOLY GRAIL is in re-release presently here.

Hollywood isn't going to cater to British tastes, face it.... They hardly cater to American tastes, adult tastes anyway. They sure don't cater to Polezannian whims! The next great WW2 "classic" will proably be somethin' like, DUDE WHERE'S MY SUBMARINE...:D !

Remember! Bad film-making is a state of mind. Best wishes from Polezannia!

21. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Personally I'd love any remake of films from the past. They can be enhanced!
    I'm not bothered if it was us or them that 'really' did it. We all know the facts anyway. I want to be entertained. And as mentioned, up to date effects on WWII aerial combat etc would be excellent.