• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Who still buys physical copies of PS4 games?

Mr Nook

Distinguished Member
I'm totally digital now. It's nice to able to flick between Trials, Assassin's Creed, Rayman, Battlefield or whatever at will.

I can't see why anyone would prefer disc changing. The only justification is financial I guess.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I would ... if the price was right .. iv gotten both digital and physical .. What ever is the cheapest I would buy it that way .. I agree it's nice to be able to switch between games with out the need to get off the sofa ha ha

lynthan86

Established Member
until digital games get reasonable regards to pricing, I'll stick with physical media. I did pick up thief during the half price sale tho:)

THE_FORCE

Banned
I think economics will dictate the purchase decisions of the majority.

So until the prices on the PS Store fall in line with physical media, I'll continue to buy discs. (Or cards for the Vita and 3DS)

airjordan23

Established Member
Physical for me. Picked up Trials Fusion on friday on disc,getting off the couch and changing the discs over doesn't bother me. I still buy CD's aswell!

Mr Fring

Prominent Member
Mixture of both so far.

I go for digital if the price is right or if it's a game that I will play via remote play on the vita.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
A mix for me. Mainly bought on price unless it's a game I really know I'll play for a long time or maybe something like Trials at only £12 from the US store.

BluWarfareHD09

Prominent Member
Physical still for two reasons, one the prices are outrageous and two considering the price there is no trials/demo's so if you buy a game and it turns out to be a turd or just not your thing then your stuck with a £50-60 game. If the digital prices were about the same as PC digital and trials/demos available I would consider it, but at £50-60 with no trials/demos I can't afford to buy something and then find out I don't like it or it's a turd and not be able to get any money back on it like I can with physical.

Only777

Established Member
I got trials fusion on download as that's a quick blast game. But for things like assassins creed where I will be playing for hours I don't mind putting a disc in. Also I got the buccaneer edition with figure so it's nice to have something physical for your money.

Whilst the price is comparable I'll always go for a physical copy as it can be traded once finished. Also I like seeing all my games on a shelf as it just feels right. I guess it's an age thing :)

tazmago

Distinguished Member
Physical copies for me. Firstly I like to get some cash back from my games to fund my future purchases. If I buy digital, once the games completed I'm stuck with it. Secondly It takes me about 3 hours to download a 3gb game, so I am not spending a whole day downloading something like Infamous. Plus I like the feel of owning physical copies of games, the smell of the manual, the artwork and of course removing that wrapping is always a joy :D

lee667

Distinguished Member
will always buy physical copies until digital prices come down in line, but even then I would probably still opt for a disc as you can always trade them in. That's why they also need some kind of 2nd hand store for digital downloads so you can relinquish the licence to play it in exchange for money off another digital download.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
Whatever is cheapest. Normally physical. Until the DD prices change, I will always go for the cheapest option.

Soundburst

In Memoriam
In the one session I rarely play more than one game. I'll have a session with the sole intention of playing one game so I never switch discs in one sitting.

Even if I did the thought of having to complete the 20 second disc changing process hardly fills me with dread and despair.

Play game, trade in, buy new game. It's a great system.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
As a gamer and a lazy fat git I'd go for DD every time as I see disc changing as a form of exercise . As a gamer and a tight fudge I go for what's cheapest and get the wife to change discs for me :rotfl: win win ;).

FlagshipDevice

Prominent Member
A mix for me, too. I love the convenience of digital, it's really good to just be able to flick from one game to another. But digital pricing doesn't take into account that you can't trade when you're done with a game. There's little point in me paying the same price for digital, when I can buy a disk and then get something for it once I'm done.

I've bought digital versions of Tomb Raider and Trials Fusion. Tomb Raider I bought for £22.49 when the sale was on, was happy to forgo any physical trade value at that price. Trials Fusion is a game that I'll want to keep for a long time, so I was happy to go digital with that. I really want to go all digital, but at the moment it just doesn't make financial sense to me.

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
I think a consideration from my side, i would find the 500gb hard drive to prohibitive. I would need to upgrade the hd to a 2tb disc drive in order to make dd a viable option until then it'll be physical media route for me.:)

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I think a consideration from my side, i would find the 500gb hard drive to prohibitive. I would need to upgrade the hd to a 2tb disc drive in order to make dd a viable option until then it'll be physical media route for me.:)
Doesn't really make too much difference whether you had 10 digital games or 10 physical games as every game installs anyway.

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
I take your piont in relation to dd/physical having to install to hd regardless of wich you buy, I think re-downloding would be a real pain given the limitations of the standard 500gb hd of wich only 408gb's is only available for game installs.:)

DroidSkin

Distinguished Member
Physical for me. I keep all of my games but until DD prices are cheaper than physical disc (as they should be IMO) then I won't buy them.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
I guess I 'still' buy physical as I prefer the option to trade in.
Oh, and the fact they are cheaper. And I don't have to download GB's worth of data.
And I don't have to worry about if Sony ever turn off the servers or pull them from the store etc.
and I never have to upgrade my hard drive as they only take a minute to install.

So, not a lot going for digital really! ;)

Oswald

Prominent Member
I can't see why anyone would prefer disc changing. The only justification is financial I guess.
There's also something of the principal of the thing... it's a damn cheek for Sony to charge us more (or even the same) for something that costs less to produce and distribute. Until digital is at least a tenner less than physical I won't be buying it...

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Me. My Internet in the 2017 city of culture is so poor, it's my only option.

Oswald

Prominent Member
Me. My Internet in the 2017 city of culture is so poor, it's my only option.
Why would you want to be on the Internet when you should be painting, acting, writing poetry in the new City of Culture...? ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom