Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Who started off with HCPC but went back to standalone DVD player?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ziglar, Apr 10, 2003.

1. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Just wondering if anyone else started off with good intentions of building/using their PC for Home Cinema but for whatever reason scrapped that idea and went back to using their standalone DVD player? What were your reasons?

Although the HCPC picture is better (running HS10 via DVI) it is just a bit of a pain to get in a position to watch a movie e.g. switch from monitor 1 to monitor 2 and back again when finished, no way to control the movie when I'm sitting down, audio sync problems (sometimes), software upgrades that screw everything up and have to start again ....

How have others made their DVD watching more friendly/convenient?

Thanks

Stuart

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Set up Hotkeys in the ATI control panel, if you do a search you'll find some instructions that I wrote.

Either an IR keyboard with the addition of a Pronto, train the Pronto the shortcut keys with the keyboard eg "p" play, "space" pause etc or a rf keyboard and mouse combo.

You can take it further than that and use Girder to set up macros within the PC to control anything you want from buttons on a remote and a IRman.

Buy a copy of and learn to use Ghost 2003. Load the OS and Ghost an image, add programs and ghost, add drivers and Ghost again. You then have a fall back route if something goes wrong. If you want to change a driver its often better to go back to a previous driverless image and add thjan to try and take away first.

I also run three working partitions on my hard drive "C" is a raw windows OS, "D" is fully working and "E" is a copy of "D". Configured in a triboot so I can boot to either of them. This gives me a chance to boot into either D or E if one decides to "play up" and then use the Ghost clone to copy the working one back across. The same applies if I was trying a new driver on "D" that didn't work, I just clone E back to D and I'm away again with a fall out route.

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I was very tempted to go back to a DVD player (I was going to buy a PS DVD) for some of the reasons u outlined above (with the HS10.) I was also not really happy with stutter on pans. But I upgraded to XP, got all the latest patches from Theatertek. Got all my drivers sorted and installed ffdshow. Yesterday my Avia disk arrived so I calibrated the pj and I have to tell u that any temption to go back to a DVD player is well and truly gone. The picture quality is simply outstanding. I watched some of LOTR (SE) and Behind enemy lines last night and I was just blown away. The only two failings are black level and if I look for it (with effort) I can still see a little stutter. I still believe that the black level and stutter is better than I would see at the cinema. This is my fourth LCD projector and I would never have believed that LCD could produce such images.

My last problem is that I need to stand up and walk across the room to pause/forward etc. but hey, what the hell did we get married for?:D "Hey woman, I said that I didn't want to see that chapter" may not be as quick as pressing a Skip button on a remote control but hey...u can't have everything. (The fact that my wife wouldn't know a PC from a WC is a bit of a pain though. I might as well ask her to build me an atom bomb as skip a chapter using the PC)

Conor

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys it is not cheap at £100, but the Gryation Ultra Suite is the one stop shop solution.

Theatertek has the short keys or as I do just use the wireless mouse to navigate even the wheel can be configured to fastforward/rewind or chapter skip ( the later is my prefered option as you can "Skip" to the main menu.

I have a cinematrix modded DVD player and yes was tempted to start with cos it just was not working, but then struck with it and can now surf watch sky, listen to my jukebox and watch dvd's.

Still some tweeking to be done....................... Thinking RME audio card and nebula card.

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hey Comer what's your misses do'in out the kitchen anyway:nono: