1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who should I get to do ISF? (and does it matter anyway...?)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rowlandhills, Jul 14, 2005.

1. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm still planning my new system (as it's all dependent on my new house being built, which is taking forever...) but I do know that I'm planning to get a plasma screen (possibly a scaler too) and I want to get it ISF calibrated a few hundred hours after installation.

I know that Piers and Gordon do ISF calibration and will travel, and Joe's offered to quote me for supply of a plasma and then ISF calibration. I suspect that some of the other people I'll be getting plasma quotes from will also offer it. I'm wondering whether it makes much difference who actually does the calibration, or whether I should go for the most convenient one.

Are all ISF calibrators equal, or is it more art than science, so I should get a "craftsman"?

Any opinions welcome, and recommendations or disrecommendations (by PM if you'd prefer not to comment on this in a public forum).

Thanks guys.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    In Donkey type fashion....."me...oh me....pick me...oh meeeee mmemeeeee pick meee"

No not all ISF calibrators are equally competent. I'd recommend you find someone who is experienced....and who has satisfied customers they can put you in touch with.

Good luck with the house building. Convergent HQ is about to move South to Bedfordshire I think....but we're not building a new home so hopefully it'll go a little smoother.

Gordon

3. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I somehow thought you might be the first to reply, Gordon :)

Believe me, you're on my list of people to consider for this!

Let me know if you do move down to Bedfordshire, as at some stage I'm going to be really keen to get a demo of a scaler, and I'm going to be just near the Cambs/Herts/Beds border.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What can I say? When I first heard how much Gordon charged for an ISF I was to say the least sceptical .. my comments are round here somewhere ;).

However, Joe put it in context for me .. price of ISF set against the price of the Luma HDP and H77 .. and the results were excellent. Given the relative complexity of the Luma it'd have taken me some time to set it up with the various components I have .. IMHO it is not trivial to get it up and running out of the box if you've never seen anything like it before .. so Gordons' visit combined calibration with user training and education :)

Money very well spent.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Gordon did my 37pe30 viera plasma.

Top notch job and a top notch bloke :smashin: