1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Remembers Roots?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Logo Hater, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My wife bought a copy of Roots (the first series) on DVD as an extra Christmas present for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed this when in was on TV in the 70s, it is no less enjoyable now.

I have noticed though that there are some big holes in the story, there are parts where it jumps 18 years, and a lot of what happened in those years isn't explained. This could of course be due to Alex Haley not being able to determine what happened or it could be that it was done to keep the length of the series manageable.

It is well made though and I suppose that as the first of it's type Drama/Documentary it couldn't have been easy to know how TV audiences were going to react to it, especially in America were it must have been particularly difficult to accept the reality of what happened and how those slaves were treated.

I was disappointed with the Extras, I was hoping that the missing bits would be covered, sadly they weren't. I hope they release the next series soon, 'cos I can't wait for that. I am sure I have it on Video somewhere, but that will require a big search through hundreds of tapes. I'd rather wait for the DVD.:clap:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes I remember the exploits of Kunte Kinte (sp ?) & Chicken George. It thoroughly enjoyed it at the time but haven't seen it for ages (think my videos are in the loft)

3. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I was amazed that the price of the DVDs for the whole of series one was less than £14 at HMV of all places. (3 Double sided discs)

That makes them exceptionally good value, and I would recommend them to anyone remotely interested in the historical aspect of that period and also just as a fascinating programme that was well made.:clap:

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i do remember it vaguely

I bought the dvd about 6 months ago and still haven't watched it

i must move it to my to watch shelf

5. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I feel certain you won't regret it if you do.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    I can remember it quite well isn’t Ed Asner in the first episode and takes one of the slaves and uses as a warmer.

The mini series I’m after is Centennial.

7. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yes Ed is the captain of the ship which brings the slaves back from Africa and despite his supposedly strong religious views he is persuaded to accomodate a young lady, purely to help keep his bed warm, not for anything salicious, that would compromise his principles and his love for his wife.

I have never seen Centennial, so I can't comment on it. I don't even know what it was about.:smashin:

Garrett, you must have a fantastic memory to be able to recall such detail from a programme shown so many years ago. I have a poor memory for detail, so watching it again is like watching something I have never seen before, even though I know I have and that I really enjoyed it. I don't know which I'd rather have, my memory which allows me to enjoy it all over again or yours which retains such detail. I honestly don't know which would be best.

8. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Too true! Haley presented the story as a well researched history of his own roots. It was revealed a few years ago that this was a fraud, the whole thing is fiction. Good fiction, but very naughty nonetheless.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,334
    Taken from IMDB
    Plot Summary for "Centennial" (1978) (mini)

This is the story of the evolution of the town Centennial, Colorado. It follows the paths of dozens of people who come to the area for many reasons: money, freedom, or crime. It also shows the bigoted treatment of the Native Indians by the advancing US colonists. It is topped off with a murder mystery that takes 100 years to solve.
    Summary written by Tony Berkoff {aberkoff@hq.caci.com}

For futher comments go here.

Is more or less started out with fur trappers exploring the new world and each week told a new story progressing in time to modern day, (a bit like Root’s progression) with a little link to the week’s previous story. The early episode where classic TV but got a got bog down as they neared the end and the last episode was just awful, but the earlier story’s more than made up for it. It was last shown on the BBC about 20 years ago on Sunday afternoons.

10. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks Garrett.

I will look out for it, it sounds like the type of programme which I would thoroughly enjoy.

11. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

This is the first time I have heard this accusation, have you any evidence to support it, I would be really interested. After all the TV series was made based on his book. So if it's true then the book must also be nonsense.

12. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not nonsense, just not what it claimed to be. I remember reading about the controversy at the time of his death. This obituary hints at the problem.

13. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

Thank you for that, I have read it and it does seem to support the theory that a lot of it was fiction.

This has to be true of any story, based on historical events. When we watch a film about any historical event it is impossible to know what conversations took place between people, or to know of little details which supposedly happened, but without which the story is less interesting and less watchable/readable/viewable. There has to be allowance for artistic licence as it seems to be called, it makes it so much more interesting.

The Obituary states that Haley never claimed that it was totally factual, how could he, he like every other historical researcher has to rely on word of mouth (notoriously inaccurate) and information translated from obscure languages sometimes. Those slaves were not allowed to learn to read or write, attempts to do so were punishable by death, so the accuracy of the stories can't be proven, so the introduction of embellishments to support his book are understandable.

14. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought it for my parents for christmas as I've heard them talking about what a great series it was over the years. Looking forward to borrowing it myself ;)

15. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I thought the Goodies' p***-take "Hoots" was better .. the lead character being "Kinda Kinky". :rotfl: