who produced sony plasma panels ?

SILVERBACK

i was told that sony never made there own plasma panels and basically just tweaked and rebadged the panels,is that true ?

pjskel

Yes, but don't ask whose they used.
Not that that makes a blind bit of difference - Loewe use Samsung and Sharp panels in their LCD TVs, to superb effect.
What makes you ask this - since Sony abandoned plasma a good while ago?

SILVERBACK

i was talking about this a few weeks ago and when i told my mate about my lcd (sony) had a samsung panel in it his face dropped,i didnt know he had bought one and was less than happy at it being samsung lol. he LOVES sony and refuses to buy any other stuff :rolleyes: but when i told him about sonys plasmas not being sony he thought i was taking the ****.

i posted over at the dvd forums about sony lcds being the majority samsungs.and wanted to know who made the plasma panels aswell.

Otto J

I believe Sony used different OEM's, but the Hitachi/Fujitsu ALiS panels were certainly among them. Do remember, though, that a TV is _a lot_ more than just a panel. Signal processing is as important, if not more important, than the actual panel.

i was talking about this a few weeks ago and when i told my mate about my lcd (sony) had a samsung panel in it his face dropped,i didnt know he had bought one and was less than happy at it being samsung lol. he LOVES sony and refuses to buy any other stuff :rolleyes: but when i told him about sonys plasmas not being sony he thought i was taking the ****.

I belive it's not quite exact to say Sony uses Samsung panels. Sony and Samsung has a 50/50 joint venture to manufacture LCD panels, so it would basically be just as correct to say that (at least some) Samsung TV's use Sony panels, as to say Sony uses Samsung panels. On top of this, there's certainly a difference in signal processing. While the panels obviously share the same limits, there's a definite difference in picture between Sony and Samsung, just as Loewe or B&O, who both uses Samsung (or Sony/Samsung) panels as well, are quite different from each other. It is correct though, that Sony never manufactured their own plasma panel.

Personally I don't think any of them is that good actually, but that's a whole other story...

BTW: Sony's new range of DVD/HDD recorders are basically Pioneer OEM's... Like other big manufacturers, Sony sometimes uses other brand's OEM's, at other times they themselves sell OEM's to other manufacturers. This is just the way the industry works, and Sony is certainly not the only manufacturer to do this.

YellowSphere

People overexagerate the importance of the panel manufacturer. As I understand it, it's not the whole set, it's just the panel. A sheet of pixels, basically. So it's how well the manufacturer then designs the rest of the TV and the engine around that panel to get the picture. Oh, and the backlighting.

And moot point really, because their plasmas are long gone.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom