Who prefers the sound of sony recievers?

K

KeithH

Call me crazy but i bought a Yamaha RXV-800 reciever to replace my trusty Sony STR-DB930 reciever in my main home theater setup thinking that the yamaha would be a drastic step up so i moved the Sony to the bedroom problem is i don't think after using the yamaha for over a month now that it was a improvement especially when watching DVD's the sony seems better and the cinema modes sound better to me on the sony.The yamaha has a little deeper bass on the music side of things and the sony's bass is a little tighter to me,but in the midrange the yamaha is a little weak,the sony seems a bit more forward in that area (May have to do with the sony's built in eq?)With the yamaha i seem to have to pay a little more attention to the vocals than i do with the sony.Am i crazy to think that my 1999 Sony STR-DB930 sounds better than the newer yamaha?I like this site for this kind of question because if i ask any question that has to do with Sony Recievers or anything Sony for that fact on AudioReview.com i get beraded! People there HATE sony and anyone who likes Sony is a MORON!Thank you so much for any feedback on this topic.PEACE to all from Keith across the pond and here in the USA..BYE.

Yes, you are right to state that Sony amps do recieve some flack. However, I am more than happy with mine. (STRBD870).
To me, its a bit like the situation Microsoft find themselves in with the Xbox. People slate it, even though they have never played on one, simply because it Microsoft. Sony are a soft target, and thus, their products get it in the neck.

The Cinema DSP's found on Sony amps are very effective in my opinion and they really enhance a decent soundtrack. I prefer EX B to AFD.

Regards,

Captain Benefit.

Originally posted by Captain Benefit
Yes, you are right to state that Sony amps do recieve some flack. However, I am more than happy with mine. (STRBD870).
To me, its a bit like the situation Microsoft find themselves in with the Xbox. People slate it, even though they have never played on one, simply because it Microsoft. Sony are a soft target, and thus, their products get it in the neck.

The Cinema DSP's found on Sony amps are very effective in my opinion and they really enhance a decent soundtrack. I prefer EX B to AFD.

I'd agree to an extent but I think it's also fair to say that Sony amp's do have a slightly "different" sound to say that of the Denon, Marantz, etc equivalents. I find my 1070 much more "in yer face" (for want of a better way of describing it!) than my mate's 2802. Not better, or worse, just different. Something which I like though and one of the reasons I went for a 1070. :D

Kelvin.

Edited due to terrible grammar... ;);)

I had a demo of a Sony, Yamaha and a Denon back in 1999.
They all had pretty much the same features I was looking for.

I chose the Sony 930 as I preferred the sound. Not to say that the Yamaha and Denon sounded rubbish, just that the Sony sounded different and was more suited to my ears.

Not been tempted yet to part with the 930.

Mike.

Originally posted by Captain Benefit

Captain Benefit.

You are right, I hate sony because Sony always does everything right. Im not sure if they hve even made a crap product...

That annoys me, no one likes a no-it-all :mad:

Originally posted by Tejpal
You are right, I hate sony because Sony always does everything right. Im not sure if they hve even made a crap product.

Most amusing comment that I've read for ages. You obviously never visit the TV forum.

May I suggest that you visit the TV and DVD forums to see what problems people have been having with scrolling bars on Sony televisions and RGB output on Sony dvd players before making comments on how wonderful all Sony products are.

We won't mention problems with subtitles on Sony Davs.

Another vote for Sony recievers.I changed to a 1070 and tbh for all it's limitations i'm reluctant to change it. I've thought about various models from Denon, Marantz etc but for the forseable future the Sony stays.
icon14.gif

Originally posted by Ian J
Most amusing comment that I've read for ages. You obviously never visit the TV forum.

The problem those is that just because a tv or dvd player has a problem people brand all products by that company as crap, when its simpy not true.

Still no point teaching blinkered people, do what you want with your money :D

After owning a Sony 930 for several years, the sound is not that bad. But for the price £390, it is/was excellent value for money. But the sound could and often would be very 'hard going'. If you used it for high volumes, there came a point, (about 2 hours max), were you just had to turn it down, and it became too harsh. Or maybe i got old, and my ears changed....or became more picky.....But warm sounding the Sony ain't....

I have a SONY 940....all I can say is what an Amp!!! I have had a few in my time, heard friends set-up etc and this Amp sounds the biz. I have a mission 771 speaker setup with an aging yamaha sw60w sub and i cant fault it. The music sounds great, and DTS rocks......what more can I say.

But at the end of the day its each to their own...my setup to someone else may sound pants!!

:D :p :D

IMO there certainly is something you could call the "Sony sound" which affects all their products from Walkman up to high end AV gear. Many people prefer it, and that's all well and good, but I think that all they do, on a very simple level, is slightly boost the treble and bass. Like listening to all your music with 'Loudness' turned on.

Now in the world of high end HiFi I don't think that's a good thing. High Fidelity means accurately representing the original recording, not tweaking it so it sounds subjectively 'better'.

Unfortunately Sony are guilty of the same thing with their digital cameras. People are already talking about "Sony colour". Again, what Sony do is boost colour saturation to give pictures more 'snap'. So a lot of people might like it and think it looks 'better'. It's no good though if what you want to record is the colour that was infront of your eyes when you took the picture.

Michael.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom