1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who own's the Panasonic PT-AE100, or has one on order?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    This seem's to be a popular projector at the moment, I am just curious as to how many people actually own it, or have it on order, and what do you Honestly think of it now you have spent some time with it.
    Can all owners please reply :)

2. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    tim, ive got mine on order as you'll probabley know.

rushed home from work tonite expecting/hoping there's that message on the phone,but no,nowt:( .

must be tommorrow:) (i wish)

i want it now:mad:

cod

3. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I'm going to order one in the next couple of days. Can't wait :cool:

4. bradsjm

bradsjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So can any recommend a place to order online that has:

1. A good price and

2. (most importantly) a good dead-pixel return policy or will do a pre-ship check?

Thanks.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Tim,

I've had mine for a few weeks now. Long enough to make a 'blackout material' screen with blackvelvet masking and a ceilingmount.

On compositeandS-VHS sources I get colour staining in the extemities but since most everthing I watch is 2.43:1 it's not really an issue. I'd like higher contrast as the first priority, so the next major experiments will be icestorm and a filter. I've also ordered a Nintaus. Screendoor isn't an issue - yet. Might become one with a higher quality picture source. It is not what I'd call quiet, but it is no noisier than any of the others an if it really bothers me I'll do something about it. Otherwise, for the price I'm delighted. My wife is so impressed she has OKd a projector for the sitting room. Will it be another Panny? (When I've saved up for it ;-) I don't know. Like Li On I'm interested in the new Epson and I'd like to revisit DLP just to check if rainbows still make me sick. I'd love a used CRT but DAF and weight and brightness issues...

6. Paul.B2

Paul.B2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Av-sales £1372 and an offer on a Draper Baronet 6ft screen for £166 extra. Don't know anything about the screens though. I don't even know quite what the black drop material is for.:blush:

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine 2 or 3 weeks ago but i've only just got it set up to take composite, component and s-vid, I seem to have a little bit of interference on all the signals but thats probably because the power cable for the projector is run with them..... at least I hope so.
    This is my first projector, discounting the rear projection TV, and so far i'm very impressed. Even though the screen is too big for my room and I sit too close I still only notice the screen door effect when I really look for it, during normal viewing I tend to just get involved in the film and not see any "defects". I have still not noticed any dead pixels or stuck on pixels which pleases me greatly :D.
    Even though I am a novice at this I found initial setup very easy allthough I still have to setup the projector properly for the room ( when the rooms finished ) and try to figure out the best way of connecting 2 DVD players, sky box, video, console and pc ( have yet to try a pc with the projector ) also keeping the existing TV available for sky and 1 of the DVD players, my amp has ample switching for s-vid and composite but none for component, guess its getting close to amp upgrade time ;).
    The 2 or 3 people who have seen it so far are also very impressed, if this is just down to screen size or not I dont know but as things stand I am very happy with my purchase, no doubt there will be another model along shortly ( if its not here allready ) with a better picture and half the price but I have one now and i'm happy with it :).

8. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will be ordering in the next week:D bring that big picture on:eek:

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    so far we have

owner's 3

Ordered 3

any more taker's?

For good pixel policy try The Media Factory I believe it's £1400 and £25 for a dead pixel check.

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    I got mine a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it, but I do notice the screendoor quite a bit. I'm looking to make a change very soon (hopefully this week) to a Sony 11HT, but for the price the Panny is great value..
    I use progressive for DVD & Xbox and I play PC games through it.
    Very easy to set-up and the low-lamp feature adds even more value..

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for 4 weeks now & very happy with it. Video source is a major factor in picture quality so save some cash for a good quality DVD player with progressive scan, and quality component leads. I chose Denon 2800, a little expensive but the pic is impressive.

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered;)

13. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    I have ordered the following from joe at the media factory

pt ae 110e

draper luma 16/9 106" diagonal screen manual pull down screen

10m component leads

10m svh lead

been told to expect delivery sometime this week.

already have the lescon 1000

14. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I'm waiting on a fat cheque that has Mr Panasonic's name on it..although since deciding on this puppy I've been and gone & bought a new house (hopefully built end of April)..which looks like it could move it beyond my reach for a (little) while longer..I have a question relating to new houses but I'll start a new thread rather than steal Tim's..if things do work out I'm hoping to get mine from Joe in Mussleburgh, I hope to get a demo from him in the not too distant future..cheers all..

Berth

15. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bit more research and need to sell my Toshiba 40PW03B and
    then I will be ordering..

HEADRAT

PS Not quite sure where from yet, I'll see where other peopel get theirs etc..

16. themoron

themoron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have ordered mine from Movement-Audio in Bournemouth (the only local store that will demo one for me) and I should get it when the next shipment arriveds.

I have just worked out I will only have £4.55 left over from my Budget after I have bought it!

Budget = All the money I have

17. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    you could use it to buy a six pack and a bag of popcorn for when it arrives..:)

18. themoron

themoron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Will do!!

19. lukej

lukej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered one from Hificomponents.DE last week and am still waiting for confirmation of the money transfer I wired them
    even tho it was done by Swift Transfer(24 hour max).

Look like i'll be waiting.

Why d'ont they accept Credit Cards!!!!

20. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    museumsteve,
    What is your screen size and at which distance are you sitting from it ?, a lot of AE100 owners report that at 2x the screen width, with slight defocussing, screen door isn't really an issue. Do you feel otherwise ?, or are you just sitting closer ?.

You are the first one I know of who decided to give up on the AE100 (after having it) due to its screen door effect.

21. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Well I'm an owner...also with a Lecson 1000 DVD player....

But

Both are sitting in the boxes by my feet as I write....

I'm awaiting planning permision on my garage-media room convertion:rolleyes:

I think about 2 weeks and I should get the all clear....so watch this space.....

BTW anybody found a good ceiling mount for the PT-AE100 yet....not getting very far on that front ?

22. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I ordered mine a couple of weeks back from Audio Visual shop in Chester - just waiting for a phone call, and I'll be up there like a shot for a demo, and hopefully followed by a purchase.

I've made my DIY grey screen ready and screwed it to the wall, it's all in place ready. Just need to get black velvet from somewhere, and work out where to put my velcro strips!

I hope the big day is tomorrow!

23. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've had mine for about 4 weeks now and I still love it! Watched Fifth Element Superbit last night and it was amazing. I'm running it from a HTPC (856x480) into the VGA input.

It does, however, seem to have developed the problem with colour uniformity across the panel. Two corners (opposite diagonals) are slightly red, the other two are slightly green. This is only visible on dark black and white scenes. It's particulaly noticable if you configure the "no input" colour to be grey (in the OPTIONS menu), then disconnect all inputs. When I bought the projector I checked for this (since someone on AVS mentioned it) and it was not present. Apparantely this is a known problem with the first batch of AE100's.

I plan to leave it a bit longer and see if it gets any worse. Once the next batch of AE100's arrive, I may try to get it replaced, assuming they could guarantee the replacement would have no dead pixels. Anyway, its pretty minor at the moment, not noticable at all in most movies. If I hadn't been aware of the problem I would probably not have noticed. Anyone else encountered this?

One other thing worth sharing. I just added a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T card to the PC last week (£99 from Jungle or Dabs), so I can receive Digital Terrerstial TV. I did have some problems with this card - the first one prooved to be faulty (would only work with the PC case open - light sensitive would you believe!). The second is better, just the occasional glitch. When it works, it works really well. The quality is much better than my old analogue WinTV card and DScaler - true widescreen, and much less video noise. The application is pretty basic though - doesn't even support timeshifted recordings. Great fun!

--- Dave

24. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was waiting for the Plus Piano, but a positive HCC review might swing it for the Panny.

25. nickhh

nickhh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this forum, what a wealth of information.

Anyway I bought one last week from Avland in Coventry, I went in had a demo and took a brand new one home with me @ £1369.
    I am very pleased. Hopefully the screen is coming tomorrow.

Now all I have to do is sell my Sony KP41S4 to help pay for it.

Nick

26. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have one.
    Happy.
    Demo it for yourself first and you should be too.

27. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On order...will that phone call ever come?? ....:mad: :D

28. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    rush,

I'm not sure its just the screen door that is causing museumsteve to sell. There's also the small matter of lusting after a Sony 11HT :)

29. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Nahhh after seeing CRT I just couldnt live with anything else. Barco is the only way to go ;)

30. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Panny ae100 hopefully coming this week from Joe at TMF, so far seems very good service.

Don't have a HTPC, so looking to purchase a Denon 2800, chuck the firmware update to get pal progressive.

Then component, perhaps switched through my Denon 2802AVR, to the ceiling mounted projector.

also considering component to the key digital transcoder to get a softer picture via VGA-RGBHV.

Muzzibag- have you applied the hack to your denon, and does it exhibit and PAL lip-sync problems?

Anyone be able to tell me what scaling the Projector does to a component prog scan signal - does it take it as wide 480?

also considering waiting for the Denon 2900, but not sure how long I could last running on s-video.

anybody suggest what screen gain to go for? I understand as these are short throw, 1 or below?

Cheers.