Who out there loves westerns

goodtimes

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the wrong sub forum so here I go here.

my first blu purchse was Unforgiven closely followed by Wyatt Earp on blu,so I have to say Ive always loved westerns but you guys have got me waaaay carried awaaay.
310 to yuma was not too bad,the shoot up at the end annoyed the heck out of me.
I just got the wild bunch on blu...which blu me away.
and now I find Im buying
Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection (The Wild Bunch / Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid / Ride the High Country / The Ballad of Cable Hogue)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly [Blu-ray]

Once Upon a Time in the West

Appaloosa [Blu-ray]
I have had open range for a few years (cant wait for that to come out on blu along with tombstone
Gettysburg / Gods and Generals.
watched Gods a few years back but only watched Gettysburg for the first time last night.
it must have been tragic for all those concerned

so what others do I NEED

3:10 to yuma is a great disc/film. Howcome the end shoot out annoyed you out of curiosity?

One I'd recommend is Seraphim Falls. The last twenty or so minutes might not be what true Western fans expected or wanted, but even so I think it's a great film. Brosnan and Neeson are immense. Could happily stick it on now and watch it again.

Sam

I don't but my late dad did. He seemed to have endless western novels and he used to take me to see stuff like The Magnicent Seven.

Good memories
Bri

Magnificent 7 what films quality

few dollars more
for a few dollars more

Lemas ,ole charlie princess boy is a pretty good shot ,those boys fired thousands of shot at Bales charactor much like camando(a movie I hope never to watch again) at close range without hitting didly.
up to that point the movie had a plausable and semi realistic feel to it.
I still really like this movie though.

Seraphim Falls is a very cool movie ,I have this one,might get it on blu.

I really liked westerns, but i like all genres i guess.

Those films mentioned above.

plus Costner's Open Range and Dances with Wolves are great.

Warlock, High Noon

Dances With Wolves is a great film regardless of genre. I'd put Glory in there too.

:thumbsup:
Bri

yep i really need to watch again. He's such a talented film-maker/actor who loves that genre.

He is also planning a new tv series about post-Civil War America, which will study settlement in the western U.S. states.

yep must give dances another look soon.
Im gona do a western sunday for a few months till I catch up with all these new movies

yep i really need to watch again. He's such a talented film-maker/actor who loves that genre.

He is also planning a new tv series about post-Civil War America, which will study settlement in the western U.S. states.

Rai

If you haven't already watched it Glory is a must see. Denzel Washinton is at his very best in this.

All the best
Bri

Rai

If you haven't already watched it Glory is a must see. Denzel Washinton is at his very best in this.

All the best
Bri

I've never seen it properly, only bits, so will do so mate :smashin:

Glory comes out on blu in a few days time

Lemas ,ole charlie princess boy is a pretty good shot ,those boys fired thousands of shot at Bales charactor much like camando(a movie I hope never to watch again) at close range without hitting didly.
up to that point the movie had a plausable and semi realistic feel to it.
I still really like this movie though.

Seraphim Falls is a very cool movie ,I have this one,might get it on blu.

I also found it ridiculous that (Crowe) shoots his most loyal right hand man - Typical "hollywood" contrived twist.

.... so what others do I NEED

Red River
The Big Country
The Searchers
My Darling Clementine
Gunfight at OK Coral
Shane
Hombre

No-one mentioned Butch Cassidy yet ! Great film.

well I just finished dances with wolves,I dont know if its my age(50) or not but I can really appreciate a story that takes the time to explain its self.
no master minded ,clever sub plots just a straight forward journey to its conclusion.
I know it paints a rose coloured picture
(Indian life styles and paradigms) but its a movie not a doco.
I havnt visited this movie for around 15 years so I forgot more than I remembered.
9/10 for the story and the acting.
see that Im your freind:smashin:

Last edited:
Steve I will look at them.
seen shane plenty of times.

I love westerns :thumbsup:

All that have already been mentioned in this thread :smashin:
All the sergio films
Hud (thought Newman was quality in this)
Rio Bravo
The Outlaw Jose Wales
High Plains Drifter
Pale Rider
The Wild Bunch,

can't think of any more at the minute, but there are a fair few Wayne films that I like as well.

I like quite a few westerns... mostly the big guns! (as in the top sellers) :D

Not too keen on old James Stewart attempts, I like them quite gritty.

Not too keen on old James Stewart attempts, I like them quite gritty.

Im not when hes suppose to be the hard guy but I watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance yesterday with him in the lead with John Wayne and Lee Marvin and realy enjoyed it, I bet the up the body count if they ever re mad it today SPOILER
only Lee Marvin is show to get killed in the film.
:eek: couldent belive it but it worked very well:smashin:

I admit to loving westerns.

Jimmy Stewart has done some fine films:

How the West was Won (1962)
Shenandoah (1965)

Some more John Wayne classics:

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
Rio Grande (1959)
True Grit (1969)
The Shootist (1976)

One of my unrated westerns staring Burt Lancaster:

Valdez is Coming (1971) - Dont get UK version. Horses being shot have been censored :eek:

My top films are westerns:

The Wild Bunch (1969), The Searchers (1956) and The Seven Samurai (1954)(Japanese western)

Last edited:
Im not when hes suppose to be the hard guy but I watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance yesterday with him in the lead with John Wayne and Lee Marvin and realy enjoyed it, I bet the up the body count if they ever re mad it today SPOILER
only Lee Marvin is show to get killed in the film.
:eek: couldent belive it but it worked very well:smashin:

Great film :smashin:

Anyone remember a western where a guy (could be Lee Van Cleef) carries around a coffin which has a Gatlin gun inside it?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom