Who out there loves westerns

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
It's more than 'very much like' it's the exact same film and I prefer it to Rio Bravo.

Seraphim Falls is another recent western that's worth a look.
Seraphim Falls was very good I thought but I didnt like the ending.

Garrett

Big Country is my favourite film ever. It's just so we'll put together (story, script, characters, acting) the film doesn't get old for me :)
Don't forget the theme by Jerome Moross which I think far suites the film better that the Magnificent 7 did to its film albeit more popular.

caz2005

Don't forget the theme by Jerome Moross which I think far suites the film better that the Magnificent 7 did to its film albeit more popular.

Absolutely! I'm also a fan of The Sheepman by the way with Glen Ford :)

A few other good shouts I would say are Sons of Katie Elder, and Gregory Peck as Johnny Ringo in The Gunfighter and even though they're quite silly Support Your Local GunFighter/Sheriff :p

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Agreed it was a silly ending

Ruined it for me. I never thought Brosnan would work in a film like this but he's brilliant in it. Oh, the ending...big shame...I would have bought it the next day if it wasn't for that.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Ruined it for me. I never thought Brosnan would work in a film like this but he's brilliant in it. Oh, the ending...big shame...I would have bought it the next day if it wasn't for that.
Have you watched The Matador?, he's briliant in it, his performance is outstanding.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Applying a simple label like 'Westerns' doesn't do the range of films justice.
From rubbish to epic, from OK to wonderful acting casting, from deadly serious to hilarious.
Pick what you like.

goodtimes

Brosnan is very good in grey Owl

Steve N

Distinguished Member
Another good Gregory Peck western is The Bravados plus honorable mentions for Yellow Sky and McKenna's Gold.
Don't forget Duel In The Sun.
I've a soft spot for Yellow Sky, watched it again recently.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Rio Bravo.
The Big Country.
Support Your Local Sheriff.
The Unforgiven.
Quite a range.
Can I include Blazing Saddles as well?

Shazzerman

I don't think anyone has mentioned Johnny Guitar. A weird western, to be sure, but a damn great film. Also, Sam Fuller's Forty Guns is well worth a look. My favourite western is Ford's The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend" and all that. The first blu-ray I ever bought was The Searchers: it was like seeing the film for the first time, when I cranked it up on my brand new 47" plasma TV. What a film. Some of my other picks:
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (the last truly great western? Is Unforgiven in the same class?).
Fort Apache (for me, the best of the Cavalry trilogy).
Little Big Man (Penn's freewheeling take on the west is one of the 1970s best films).
The Far Country (not the best of the Mann-Stewart westerns, but a favourite of mine).
Bad Company (a really fantastic film, starring a young Jeff Bridges).

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Not sure if they've been mentioned but I used to love both of the Young Guns movies when I was younger. Tombstone is one of my favourite films of all time too, love the film and Val Kilmer is amazing as Doc Holliday

shodan

Distinguished Member
Quite liked Montgomery Clift in a western.

Although not a big fan of the genre, like a lot of things, as I get older I'm appreciating them more..

Garrett

The Outlaw Josey Wales, Clint's best following Leone's masterpiece's. Unforgiven running in close
If I not said it already this is probably my favourite Cowboy film and there's some great scenes in it with Chief Dan George:smashin:

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
My favourite western, and i only mention it because nobody else has which means no else thinks it's that good or not many people have seen it or both is

My Name is Nobody. It was touted as an unofficial sequel to Once Upon a Time in The West, following Henry Fonda's character as he realises he is getting too old to be a gunslinger and the young gun who wants to maintain the legend. Sergio Leone directed parts of it and has a really memorable Ennio Morricone soundtrack, especially Nobody's Theme and his version of The Ride of The Valkyries.

It may look like a messy film to some, but i love it because of that quirkiness, the fact that it has 3 different endings he creation of a Legend, death of a legend and a new beginning. I think the film means slightly more to me as i grew up watching Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill buddy movies, because my Dad really liked them, and having Terrence Hill in the 2nd lead role brings back warm and fuzzy memories for me.

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
My favourite western, and i only mention it because nobody else has which means no else thinks it's that good or not many people have seen it or both is

My Name is Nobody. It was touted as an unofficial sequel to Once Upon a Time in The West, following Henry Fonda's character as he realises he is getting too old to be a gunslinger and the young gun who wants to maintain the legend. Sergio Leone directed parts of it and has a really memorable Ennio Morricone soundtrack, especially Nobody's Theme and his version of The Ride of The Valkyries.

It may look like a messy film to some, but i love it because of that quirkiness, the fact that it has 3 different endings he creation of a Legend, death of a legend and a new beginning. I think the film means slightly more to me as i grew up watching Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill buddy movies, because my Dad really liked them, and having Terrence Hill in the 2nd lead role brings back warm and fuzzy memories for me.
Thanks for that I'll check this one out , I never new it existed

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
Be aware it isn't a particularly serious western, although the underlying theme is one of the old style west coming to an end with no place in it for the old style gunslingers. It does play some scenes for laughs also.

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Watched a good one the other week which I hadn't seen too many times previously....'Monte Walsh (1970), with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark R1 Mk4 radio gets summer makeover
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton