Who out there loves westerns

I didn't think there was enough of a western feel about Jubal, it has more of a domestic drama feel to it, although it has a terrific cast and is well-directed by Delmer Daves, director of 3:10 to Yuma (a great western).

I love Westerns!

Actually I love Sergio Leone Westerns to be precise. I have to admit to not having much time for other Westerns though but I do give them a go.

I saw Assassination of Jesse James... on blu-ray rental a week or so ago. I have to say I was very disappointed. Whilst the setting seemed very realistic and the actors were great there was just....nothing to the actual film. The film itself seemed more interested in the 'celebrity' aspect which didnt appeal to me at all to be honest.

Sergio Westerns in order of preference -

1) Once Upon A Time in the West / Good Bad and Ugly
2) For a Few Dollars More
3) A Fistful of Dollars
4) A Fistful of Dynamite (I class it as a Western anyway!)

Got them all on DVD SE's of course - just waiting for the blu-rays! :)

I keep meaning to see Assassination of Jesse James again, attempted it a while ago one friday night with a mate but we turned off half way through, we weren't in the right mood for it. Got the beers out and some rambo on instead if I remember correctly :rolleyes:.

Can be had for under a tenner on blu-ray now too.

Like Jesse James (and I too would rather watch Rambo if I was looking for a Friday night beer movie), another western you have to be in the mood for is Heaven's Gate, I was going to say another modern movie and then realised it is nearly 30 years old. Loosely based on contemporary news articles of 1890 battles between rich landowners of Johnson County, Wyoming amd immigrant farmers, this was in the eyes of Europeans the last great western (before the Brad Pitt Jesse James movie, that is). For some reason, this movie is hated by Americans and has only been available on a pan n' scan VHS or poorly transferred DVD. Part of the reason for its unpopularity is probably the extended Harvard graduation day opening sequence which is a bit of a slog to have to sit through what is a very long movie (there are other reasons which I won't go into: it's thrilling to think of a young movie fan just picking the DVD to watch without knowing of its infamy :).

I recently purchased the Clint Eastwood box set - OMG the memories. I loved those growing up and re watching them (it was atleast 10 years since I saw them) they were just as great ....

Young Guns and young Guns II the latter amazing soundtrack !!!

Watched Bite The Bullet today, Great cast. Hackman, Coburn, Ben Johnson, Jan-Michael Vincent, Candice Bergin. Great Movie, Can't believe I hadn't seen it before.

Watched Bite The Bullet today, Great cast. Hackman, Coburn, Ben Johnson, Jan-Michael Vincent, Candice Bergin. Great Movie, Can't believe I hadn't seen it before.

Great cast, how did you rate the film?

Really enjoyed it, Quite long too at about 135 mins, Good story centered around a cross country horse race, Recommended :smashin:

Yes' I do on occasions enjoy a good western.

I suppose like other members am very selective, but like any jonre they are subjective.

The spagetti westerns i.e. Clint Eastwood great classic's

Kevin Cosner: Dances With Wolves.
John Wayne: Many good movies.

Also' many other Actors who have had leading roles in other westerns, of which there are to many to mention here.

Great thread guys.

Sincere Regards

:hiya::smashin:

Goin' South tonight with Jack Nicholson, Not seen it before, Got Duel At Diablo lined up for tomorrow with James Garner. Really got a taste for the Western at the moment, Can't get enough of 'em. Anyone seen The Hired Hand with Peter Fonda and Warren Oates, It's worth seeking out because the nature of the story was different and rarely told in the genre.

The Return Of A Man Called Horse later, Not seen it before. Enjoyed the original, I hear the sequel is better, Looking forward to it :)

If you've got Sky, then you can find loads of great westerns on the Movies For Men channels. Had Blindman, Django, Keoma, Trinity films all on there recently, and still showing :thumbsup:

I like Duel at Diablo. This was a prelude for the Director Ralph Nelsons next western 'Soldier Blue'.

Has this ever been shown in its uncut version in the UK?

If you've got Sky, then you can find loads of great westerns on the Movies For Men channels. Had Blindman, Django, Keoma, Trinity films all on there recently, and still showing :thumbsup:

They show a few in their original scope format too. There was a Lee Van Cleef film on yesterday, pity the quality wasn't that great because it looked like a good film.

VERY suprised that no one has mentioned either of these, as they are definite must have's on BD;

Lonesome Dove
Broken Trail

Available on import only. I'd also like to second the earlier recommendations of:

The Searchers
Rio Bravo

Remember when i was younger liking western movies about an Indian called Winnatoo or something similar cant remember name of the movies though, he was always dressed in white,not sure if it was a series now.

Tombstone, Open Range, Ride With The Devil and Lonesome Dove Mini Series are all superb. Into the West the mini-series is also well worth a look.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom