Who Needs a Hoya FL-D (MC) Filter??

acave

Established Member
Reaction score
Will have three of these spare, not sure on price as yet. But will sell at cost price as I'm a nice guy. These forums are so cool for advice and it's nice to do something in return for people.

My friend got the last four that was in stock in a suppier he found in New York.

Thx

Gary

1st come 1st serve.

Gary,

I'll have one off you. Send me a PM when you get hold of them and let me have the cost etc. Nice one.

Order on the net from the USA, you would probably save a bob or two aswell!.

James

These are coming from the USA via UPS so I hope I have saved a few bob :clown:

Anyone got a decent source in the US? From discussions on the AVS forums, they seem to be in pretty short supply right now.

I'd join the buyers club if it would improve the pq, considering my screen is a DIY MDF with ICESTORM 5?!

I bought one here in Australia for US$15 today. Guess we're a little slow on the uptake to start stampeding for these things.

I was quoted $18 to order in a new one.

Wow...$18 sounds very cheap. Is this definitely the right filter? Hoya HMC FL-D. Or perhaps another "rip-off Britain" episode..?

The one I bought had obviously been sitting on the shelf for a while, so the price has probably gone up since then. The box says 'HOYA FILTER' and the stickers say '55.0s' and 'FL-DAY'. The filter itself looks pink / purple, seems ok.

We're a bit closer to Japan than most countries to maybe we get it cheaper? The $A is also near historical lows at the moment.

cost me $19 each. $10 postage to USA address then UPS to UK, wait for it. $75 fudge.

Tummybunny...sounds like the non-HMC filter. Does the case look anything like this ? This is the UK non-HMC case.

No, the case doesn't look like that. I'll post a pic of the case and filter when I have some time. It's clearly pink / purple.

I'm pretty confident it's not the HMC version. I asked about that and the lady said one wasn't available. I wasn't overwhelmed by her knowledge in the area and mine isn't too great either so I left it at that. I thought the difference wasn't too great? At this price I bought it and will have to wait to see how it looks when my projector turns up.

Oh yes, the filter itself is pinkish, but the filter isn't in the case in my picture (it's on the projector...I couldn't wait!) :D

Ok, so my digital camera is absolute bottom of the barrel but this is what I came up with.

For those who can't read the text on the flyer (and that would be everybody) it says:

HOYA photographic filter coated.

* Made of the same optical glass as photographic lens.
* Polished to the same accuracy as photographic lens.
* Absorption quality (color) does not change.

I spoke with a different assistant at another (quite large) store and this guy seemed pretty knowledgeable. I asked about the filter and he said it would cost US$17 (equivalent). I asked what he knew about a HMC version and he (instantly) said that this was the HMC version.

So maybe that's what I have. I'm close to a complete newbie in this area, but that's what I've dug up so far fyi.

Hrmmm...I wonder...is there anything written on the thread of the filter itself? I didn't have a close look at mine so I can't remember, but perhaps we can identify which version it is from the part number or whatever. I hope it is the HMC...in which case you've got a bargain!

I have just got my order from a friend in the USA. The store he got them from run out and had to order two more in. Two have the FL-DAY Multi Coated box (ordered in from Hoya), the other has FL-DAY both sides coated (more than one to me is multi).
The txt info on the back of the box is 100% same.
They look the same and I can't see any difference in them. My friend just told me this "folks at hoya distributor seemed certain
mulitcoating affects only 'flares' on camera work and
should be unnecessary on projectors", even viewng with one on each eye no difference. I reckon the HMC version is just a new package for the filter.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom