Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Who makes your plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by jpd2, Apr 3, 2004.

1. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found this info on a site, thought some of you may be intrested, if you know any more please post

Plasma TV Manufacturer's
    Who really makes your Plasma TV?
    Very few Plasma tv manufacturers actually make their own plasma tv. Most use a system called rebadging. Basically they buy from a Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), claim to have a secret extra special feature then stick a new sticker on it and bill you thousands extra for the sticker. If you really want to pay thousands for a sticker please call our sales dept and we will sell you a sticker with our website logo for much less then the couple thousand you will pay Fujitsu or Viewsonic.

THE MAJOR MANUFACTURERS
    NEC - Nec is a OEM manufacturer, The company's plan is to supply industrial unit under the NEC name and supply home units thru rebadges such as Marantz and RCA

Panasonic - Makes the complete units, Supplies Toshiba, JVC, Fujitsu and more

Pioneer - Makes all of there own equipment and sells OEM to Sharp Note: The 5030 and 4030 HD multtimedia box is made by Sharp

Fujitsu - Only makes their own 42 inch in partnership with Hitachi . 50 and 61 inch Fujitsu Plasmas are Panasonic and NEC but the 42 inch are their own. Note Hitachi plasma screens are identical to Fujitsu and cost thousands less

Sony - Makes their own boards and chips but uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi plasma screen glass.

Hitachi - Owns 50% of plasma screen factory with Fujitsu. Makes own internal components.

Philips - Uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi glass screen and most internal components as well. However, Philips makes its own bezel with built in speakers.

LG / Zenith - Make their own glass in Korea

Samsung - Makes its own components in Korea

THE SECONDARY MANUFACTURERS
    RCA/ Thompson - Partners with NEC to OEM its product. Just a NEC with a new bezel.

JVC - 50 inch is Panasonic, 42 is NEC

Toshiba - OEM from Panasonic.

Sharp - OEM product through Pioneer for 50" and 42 though they may make some internal component changes .

Runco - OEM 50" from Pioneer and 42" from NEC,

Marantz - OEM 42" plasma monitor from NEC.

Viewsonic - OEM 50" plasma screen from Pioneer ( old 502 ).

Sampo - 42v3 is old Fujitsu, 42v6 is Samsung Plasma

2. YS-YS

YS-YS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    little mistake, fujitsu dont make the glass for their 42" VHA, but they do on the 42hha &hhs and the new 55".

but at anyrate the electronics make a big difference in all the plasma's

3. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually used to believe this and thought the Hitachis must be a real bargain until I actually started comparing the screens.

Its true the Hitachis are good value and they use the same Alis screens.
    BUT quality control, colour rendition and the general electronics (as well as AVM plus) IMHO makes the Fujitsu a better product,
    if I didn't believe this I wouldn't have bought my P42HHS30 which is superb.