Who leaves there amps on 24/7?

phils_wicked

Established Member
Reaction score
as above, Ive always left my equpiment switched on unless Im off on holls etc.

Anyone else do this?

well.... mine is plugged in but always on stand by. My New denon 3910 has an on off buton at the front so i do switch it off when i know i wont use it for a few days.

Actually I use my amp for more than just movies anyway. My TV tuner goes through it so i use it all the time.

Since most amps dont actually have an on off button at the front, only a stand by button, I think its fair to assume that they are designed to be on stand by more than to be off.

This topic comes up quite alot on here.

I always switch off my Denon A1SE completely.
I agree that in stand-by it shouldn't draw much current, but the problem with Denon amps is that when the power at the back of the unit is cut (e.g. power cut or just swapping plugs) it doesn't remember that it was in stand-by.... therfore it comes on when the power is restored.

A 7 x 140watt amplifier isn't going to be frugal on electricity, and I don't want a huge bill.

Also, I'm not yet convinced that it makes any significant difference to the sound quality.... it always sounds great to me.

Some people will say thay the internal components are under most stress when the amplifier is turned on, therfore regular ON/OFF cycles may shorten its life. Could be true, but it depends on the build quality.
My Denon is built like a tank and built to last. So I really don't think this will make much difference.

IMO, you should turn it off and do your little bit for the environment.

Always leave my equipment on standby but have not noticed much increase on the electricity Bill!

John :)

I always leave my amp on. The TV, Pace Twin and DVD go to standby and bedtime..

My amp is always on,just reduces the volume as my missus cant be bothered using the remote,she finds it complicated!!.

recruit said:
Always leave my equipment on standby but have not noticed much increase on the electricity Bill!

But if you multiply that small increase over the whole country, you'd probably save the output of a generating station if everything was turned totally off - and that's from someone who always leaves his receiver on standby.

Cheers,

Martin.

mjcairney said:
But if you multiply that small increase over the whole country, you'd probably save the output of a generating station

Ok i'll turn everything off then :rolleyes:

I had a rather nasty shock which I thought at first, might be down to leaving amps and everything on standby and playing them quite loud.
We had recently moved house and as usual with electricity companies, didn't receive an electricity bill for months! When it finally came through it was for about £800 for 5 months! So we had someone round to check the meter and advise us on what could be causing the problem (faulty electronics, wiring etc.).
I'd recently upgraded my system and my wife was convinced this was the cause. So, testing the system in standby and fully powered it still consumed very little power. Even when heavily loaded it doesn't draw a huge amount. Boiling a kettle takes far more than running a stereo at high volumes for a day! :thumbsup:
Neither myself, nor the electrician could figure it out. Every so often the meter would run like crazy!
My wife then happened to mention she keeps and breeds tropical fish and would that have anything to do with it? The penny then dropped!
Feeling rather stupid by this time and realising that the 6 300W heaters might have some bearing on the high usage. I apologised for wasting the electricians time and promptly informed my wife that stereos may cost a lot to buy but the maintenance cost and running costs are minimal, unlike someone else's hobby!:thumbsdow
If your worried about using electricity just reduce the amount of coffee you drink or eat take away food......:)
Do not, under any circumstances take up tropical fish breeding!!!!

All my amps are built in to my speakers (2 x 100w amps per speaker) and as the speakers are all out of easy reach they are left switched on 24/7, even when I go on holiday etc. My subwoofer has an auto on/off so that does switch itself off at night which is probably just as well being over 1kw.

Mark.

Can't help replying to this old favourite....my processor,DAC and Upsampler are all left on(or standby in the case of the processor),but the power amps are all left off until about 30 mins before listening,as each of them uses over 500W at idle.....heat is one thing,and electricity bills are the other factor in deciding it for me!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom