Who knows the best 37" for £500?

BobbyBlaze

Novice Member
Hey chaps!!

I've been tasked with finding a 37" lcd telly for £500 and thought I'd tap into the hive "brain" to find out what the best deal is at the moment.

Telly is for my mum in law (74) who doesn't even know what HD is and rarely watches DVD's so SD quality will probably be the biggest concern but I guess if you can do SD right then HD will generally look after itself, right?

On the list at the moment is the Samsung LE37R87B but can anyone suggest any alternatives that may offer more bang for the buck?

Really appreciate you guys helping out and throwing n your 2p's. (Hey this is what this community was created for, right?)
Cheers!

BobbyBlaze

Novice Member
Done some more checking and the Sony 37" P3020 BRAVIA is available for an extra £37. Does anyone know how these two sets compare and is the Sony worth the extra change or does the Samsung have it beat?

BobbyBlaze

Novice Member
cheers for the reply, dude! I live in Cardiff so a trip to Essex probably isn't on the cards. I always thought that it would be a good idea to order mail order in any case just in case I get a few dead pixels so I could return it through the DSA even if I didn't have a leg to stand on warranty wise.

Probably going to have to order in the next couple of days so step right up and let me know what you guys think. Samsung, Sony? Bet, bet, bet!

vickster

Distinguished Member
Sony, as I don't like the look of Samsungs and they sponsor Chelsea FC ;)

ChrisGgr

cheers for the reply, dude! I live in Cardiff so a trip to Essex probably isn't on the cards. I always thought that it would be a good idea to order mail order in any case just in case I get a few dead pixels so I could return it through the DSA even if I didn't have a leg to stand on warranty wise.

Probably going to have to order in the next couple of days so step right up and let me know what you guys think. Samsung, Sony? Bet, bet, bet!
This offer for the 37P3020 make it a better choice IMO

BobbyBlaze

Novice Member
Thanks guys!

They advertise for Chelsea, eh? If I was Abramovich I would make all the Chelsea players just run around with pictures of me on their chests. Nope, actually I'd have it in their contracts so that every Chelsea player has to have facial reconstructive surgery to look just like me So I could vicariously score every goal myself. That would work ;o).

Everything else being equal I'd probably pick the Sony because advertising works and words like sony & bravia automatically reassure my brain but, damn, that sony is one ugly TV. Anyone found any reviews of the Sony? Found some of the Samsung which said it's a good performer with some motion issues but can't find anything for the P3020.

I'll send pics of the two tonight to my missus and without anything else to back up the Sony I'm pretty sure she'll go for the Sammy because it's nicely styled compared to the Sony. So if you're the kind of guy who doesn't care what the case looks like because you can't take your eyes off the gorgeous picture and would hate to see that happen then nows the time to step up and save the Sony!!

Roll up! Roll up!

ChrisGgr

The owners of the P3020 arent many so you wont find so much about it.Its a very good tv though.

Jimbo51

Standard Member
Well I went with the Samsung from dabs.com. Very happy with it. Lots of options to set it up how you want it. I seem to have developed OCD playing around with all the settings to get it just... right.

BobbyBlaze

Novice Member
The owners of the P3020 arent many so you wont find so much about it.Its a very good tv though.
How comes? Do most Sony buyers just plunk down the extra dough for something better? This still looks competitive though. How comes not many folks have them?

ChrisGgr

I dont know why maybe the design is not so much inspiring

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom