Who knows the answer ?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by karkus30, Jul 21, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    You know how it goes, you get new speakers/more speakers/want to upgrade whatever.

As of now Im sat with tree lengths of flatline gold cable (I think nordost do this now), one end of two of the cables have bodged looking solder connections and sleeves that fall down the cable if the amps fan switches on.
    The rest are just bare and straight into the speaker binding posts.

Then I have a set of Naim NAC A5 cables, terminated with those monster plugs you get in Comet (just splay the ends out and screw together (oo err missus).

To complete my H/C system, looks like a further 4 runs of QED Silver anniversary cable (yes, I know you can have these crimped, but due to unknown length these will need to be run through the house first, terminated later).

So my issue is terminating this lot properly, crimping is my prefered way, but all those different cables :confused:

Any help you can give please.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Bumpety bump, bump, bump :D I know someone knows the answer.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I use a mixture of bare wires and el cheapo banana plugs and I am unconvinced that I would get any sonic improvement by terminating my cables differently.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I used to think that until I managed to get a high resistant joint on a cable one day and just had'nt realised that the sound was deteriorating due to the time involved. Now I make sure the connections are clean, by unplugging each connection on a routine basis. So it just doesnt make sense to make off bare cables into binding posts, its like a dry joint, when its new it conducts, but as corrosion sets in the conduction becomes intermittent and finally ceases all together.

But thanks for the reply, its nice that someone cares, down in one of the least visited bits :D

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't mind betting that you iron your underpants too :rotfl:

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    and starch them :rotfl:

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Bare wire for me which is a pain in the arse connecting it to the back of my Denon 1802. Worst terminals ever.

I solder my interconnects though and then put some heatshrink tubing over them to make them airtight, you could potentially use electrical tape but it wouldn't look as nice. :)

8. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I've always thought that soldering the plugs (banana or whatever you prefer) excludes oxygen from the joint and therefore reduces oxidation, making the joint better.

Having said that, only the amp end of my cables are soldered (btw my Audiolab 8000S has rather nice binding posts :D ) the speaker ends are just the grub screw bananas.

mind you most computer connections are crimped, so crimping can't be a bad option. Try Maplin, RS Components or Wadsworth for suitable tools and plugs.