1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who knows about headsets for online games?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Munkey Boy, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    I'm looking to get a headset for my Battlefield 2 play (amongst others), and I've got a question. I'm not used to using VOIP on the PC, but I use the headset you get for Xbox Live regularly. Now that's a good design for me because the sound still comes out of the regular speakers, but voice comes through the headset in one ear only.

Can I do this with a headset for the PC on BF2? If I was to buy a standard one, I'd have to plug it into my mic & speaker socket, so no sound would then come out of my speakers and all the gunfire/explosions would be throught the headset. Not what I want.

So is an alternative to buy a USB headset, such as the Plantronics DSP-100 - this is similar in design to the Xbox Live headset, in that it has one earpiece and a boom mic. In BF2 though, would this mean the VOIP only would come through the headset? TIA

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    I don't know of any game that will directt the voip just to the headphones on a PC. The xbox is without a doubt superb in this respect . Its also 10 times clearer on the xbox.

You could use a seperate microphone rather than one attached to headphones. I've been trying to source a military throat mike myself!

I use a pair of senheisser Hd600s which I am loathed to swap out fro a nasty pair of headphones with a mike hanging off them. I use a seperate 5quid stalk microphone that sits over the keyboard at the moment.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    That's the setup I have at the moment with the stalk mic over the keyboard. It's not ideal for two reasons; i) voice comes through the regular speakers and can be drowned out by a well-timed explosion and ii) I have to lean forward to just the right distance away from the mic to use it.

A headset would solve this if it just handled voice - there's an article in PC Zone this month about new headsets being ideal for gaming as they have onboard DACs and can process sound independently. I'm guessing the big lump on the wire of the Plantronics DSP-100 is an on-board DAC, but I don't know if BF2 put voice through an independent headset....hmmmm. :confused:

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432

The 'big lump' on Platronics DSP headsets is actually the sound card.

Its a USB head set that incorporates its own sound card hardware inline.

I've had some DSP 300's for donkeys and found them superb for FPS shooters.
    They work well with VOIP applications as well.
    You really want to get a set with 2 earpieces if you want to use it for gameing ...... the biggest advantage of headphones is sound placement.

5. daveon

daveon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Because the PC does not split the audio in games in the same way as the xbox I have set my system up with in game audio considerably lower than my teamspeak audio, so although the ingame sound and the teamspeak sound comes from the same sound source at least the teamspeak will drown out the ingame sound. I have two headsets plugged into my PC also, one set of headphones with a mic and one "Madona" sytle mic with a single ear piece and a small mic that sits along side the cheekbone and give excellent quality.
    I use the headphones by themselve and the "Madona" mic the the PC speakers, switching off the ear piece. Not exactly what you where wanting to do but unless someone knows of a piece of Hardware/software that can capture the specific audio channel that the VIOP comes thought it an option worth considering.

Well at least it works for me but I am a bit strange.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As daveon said, with all sound comming through the headset, you will need to lower the ingame audio so you can hear people talking ok.

Also, if you do have the pc sound comming through your normall speakers and using in game voice with headphones, other people will pick up the sound of your game, which often causes strange effects, so all the people I ever use teamspeak with only use headphones for the audio.....

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    OK, thanks for your input guys. I have gone for the DSP-100 as posted at the top, so I'll let you know how I get on. I should have it this weekend.

I'm crossing fingers BF2 will recognise it as just for my VOIP, but if not my fallback is Teamspeak, which I know I can definitely set up to do it seperately (we should have a server for this guys, its so cheap!). There is a volume threshold level in TS that you can adjust to remove unwanted sounds as per Cyclone's post.

8. Cyclone

Cyclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You're right it can be adjusted, but doesn't always prevent loud speaker sound comming through. As with most things, it's trial and error. Hope it works out ok for you :)

9. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    ...or there's a TS push-to-talk function...I reckon it'll work out ok!