Who is the best Batman?

saj1d

Established Member
Reaction score
With everyone paying tribute to Heath Ledger's untimely death,and rightly so,i thought it would be interesting to

open up the debate of the Batman to date.

In Tim Burton's 1989 version he cast Michael Keaton as the caped crusader,and with great effect.

As Keaton painted his demons on his Bruce Wayne face,as well as the Dark One.

He was like he said to Vicki Vale.."My Life is complexed"and so was his performance,as he had many layers.Overall i'd
give him 8/10 for his role.

Then in 1995 we had a less assuming Batman in the shape of Val Kilmer,Joel Schumacher this time responsible for direction.

Val had potential and was surrounded by a colourful set and some corny dialogue,and rumour's on set were that he was difficult to work with.

His background was ideal for this vehicle,and a was a departure for this rogue actor,i'd give him 6/10 for his role.

In 1997 the same director gave us Batman and Robin,and the least successful of all the franchise,however with the new and upcoming George Clooney there was hope.

I said HOPE didn't i,Clooney had enough charm and charisma to make this part his own and unique,

if he was given the right script and some tightly sewn dialogue then critical aclaim would of been present here.

To George Clooney's defence,he was perfectly cast as Bruce Wayne and Batman,and it wasn't so much a strained performance,when it came to him delivering his lines as Batman.

I often think,how would he of played him today,a solid
7/10 for his appearance.

Some 8 years later Christian Bale is in Batman Begins,super film which was reinvented by the great Chris Nolan.

Bale is more the tortured soul and there was always going to be comparisons to his predecessor's,and he exceeded our own expectations as the Dark Knight.

With two films behind his belt,he and Michael Keaton are the only two actor's to reprise their role as Batman,i'd give Bale's performance 9/10.

Tme will tell,before we can let the real BAT spread his wings.:smashin:

Last edited:
Lewis Wilson?

superherobatman1943serial08.jpg

Probably not...... :D

Lewis Wilson certainly looks a part.:D Clooney should have been superb as a Dark Knight as Keaton was but credit has to go to West.:thumbsup:

All the best
Bri

Michael Keaton as Batman.

Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne.

Although I would prefer Batman to be voiced by Kevin Conroy - Batman: The Animated Series' Voice actor for Batman. When I think of Batman speaking Kevin Conroy is hands down the best!

Although I would prefer Batman to be voiced by Kevin Conroy - Batman: The Animated Series' Voice actor for Batman. When I think of Batman speaking Kevin Conroy is hands down the best!

Ah, an interesting concept. Two different actors to play the two versions of a superhero. I've often thought about this with Superman. So often an actor is good either as Clark or Supes but bever both.

Cheers
Bri

Ah, an interesting concept. Two different actors to play the two versions of a superhero. I've often thought about this with Superman. So often an actor is good either as Clark or Supes but bever both.

Cheers
Bri

I dunno, Chris Reeve pretty much nailed both.

Im not Bale-ing you out of this thread, its an obvious answer. Perhaps the question could have been who COULD be the best batman (thus allowing wishlists). ie open it up a little.

Agreed, though Michael Keaton totaly the wrong build for Batman but he brought that touch of insanity and darkness to the role. although Bale comes very close and would have to say on the whole Bale wins the day.

Michael Keaton was the best Batman,IMO.
then Adam West for the sheer cheese factor.
then Bale,and those other two(Cluney/Kilmer) below him.
in fact,i dont even think i would rate those 2,as their performances were ****.

Kevin Conroy's voice is a good choice though.

Michael Keaton as Batman - in his first Batman movie - one of my fave movies ever, Jack Nicholson was also ace as the joker. . . I must admit to not being the biggest fan of the new Batman, tried watching it, first time round I made it in 2 parts, tried again recently and stopped it half way though... not sure why but it just doesn't excite me like I think it should. Not sure about the sequel, may give it a try.

Oh - and ALL other Batman films/series are rubbish, other than the WB cartoons. :)

Christian Bale. Hands down. No contest.

West = Joke
Keaton = Bland
Kilmer = Kilmer
Clooney = Stupid

I definitely prefer Keaton, he played Batman as very dark and troubled, which i liked. I've yet to see The Dark Knight but Christian Bale was very good in Batman Begins, so if his performance is awesome he may make it a very close run race for me.

Adam West. :D
Seconded. A stupendously underrated comic performance. Batman as a sanctimonious, vain, pompous arse. Brilliant.

It's pointless to attempt to say who was the "best" when so many interpretations of the character and his world are so different. Christian Bale is a brilliant, dark, realistic Batman, Adam West is a brilliant, comic interpretation of the character in what was essentially a sitcom without a laugh track. Both interpretations are so wildly diverse in conception and that it is an exercise in futility to attempt comparisons.

Just enjoy each for what it is.

Last edited:
I'm going with Bale and then Keaton.

Bale in the more physical roles, but with Keaton's personality :D

Yeah I'm in agreement with everyone about Keaton making the role very dark - his facial expressions were second to none! I do like Bale though, I think he plays both characters well...

I thought Clooney was bloody awful! Kilmer was ok, I didn't mind Batman Forever as a film actually, though my favourite was always Batman Returns...

I thought Begins was great the first time I saw it, then I really didn't enjoy it the second time, 3rd time I enjoyed it again - so I can only assume it's a hit and miss experience... Looking forward to seeing The Dark Knight thought...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom