Who is still using the PS3 as their main Blu ray player?

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is now 4 years since it's release date (wow time flies doesn't it?) although it seems like just yesterday we were having heated discussions on the two formats. Who would've thought hey? :rolleyes: Just thought it would be interesting to see who here are still using the PS3 as their main player? I still have my release date Japanese PS3 'FAT' working as good as new. It's retired now somewhere in one of the bedrooms since I've replaced it with the PS3 'SLIM', primarily because the original was Region A and I hardly buy anything from abroad these days. I've owned and tested a fair few number of Blu ray players since then from lowly Samsung models to the highly acclaimed Oppo BDP83 and Denon 3800 and for some reason or the other have returned and settled on the PS3 as my player of choice. I must admit, I think the technology in this machine is far ahead of its time and still going strong! The only annoying thing is that pesky remote, it still manages to turn the unit on somehow from the drawer!! :D

nah i don't like to use my ps3 as a blu ray player as the fan noise is quite distracting, i have a separate blu ray player that i mainly use, and yeah i get that with the dual shock controller when i put it away! only time i use the ps3 to play any media files is if my other blu ray player can't play the file apart from that meh.

I am quite new to the PS3 but for what it does it is a pretty stunning device. My first taste of BD was the highly regarded LG BD390, then the PS3, and recently the S760, I am keeping all 3 and will have a 3rd screen sometime in the new year, probably a 32" 1080p for PC duties and PS3 use. Now I reckon comparetively that is 3 stunning BD players. I wont be selling any of them. I think it says a lot for the PS3 that it is in such good company PQ & AQ wise. (I send DTS to legacy amps).

Is a great player, and I'd be happy keeping any of the 3 players as my BD device. Just waiting for the PlayTV 2 to come out and hopefully it will have Freeview HD channels on it.

I have the old one so it uses a lot of power and I seem to be watching more and more blurays. A energy efficient one would be nice. Also it cant bitstream to my amp. And I have to go through the menu before a bluray will start which can be annoying if I wanna jump into the film straight away.

Aye, still using mine as main player. And the Limit is used for region A.

Quiet too.

Still using it, but am thinking about upgrading if somebody can convince me I'll get a better picture, only reason being it's a bit noisy .

Not still using as my main player, but it still gets dusted off whenever a new release has problems on the Oppo, which isn't very often but the PS3 hasn't let me down yet.

Software upgrades seem to take an age! still.. :D But machine opperation and loading is still amongst the quickest and it's BR PQ has still not been beaten! :)

But it spends most of it's life permanently switched off, To stop the remote turning it on :mad: gathering dust, lonely and lifeless on it's shelf.. so a colleauge at work is borrowing it over Xmas to play a game on :eek: Some new driving simulator due for release in the 1980's I believe???

I still use a PS3 as a main player. I bought a multi-region Panasonic BD35 for Region A titles, thinking I would use it for Region B as well and sell the PS3. Funny, but it didn't turn out that way :)

Cheers

Brian

Wow, it's nice see others out there still holding on to this little miracle box. What I've found with the PS3 slim is that the noise levels are almost negligible, certainly nowhere near as bad as the old fat one. However the build quality is a little poor in comparison. In all honesty when a movie is running I couldn't care less what is working behind the scenes to create that glorious picture and sound, so longs as it is fast and responsive and simply works. For all intents and purposes I consider it a media player, just a shame its restricted to FAT32 rather than NTFS or could've retired the Playon too. I must admit its the one piece of equipment I have where I don't get that upgrade itch... that's saying something! :)

Still using PS3..
Have recently got a Sony BDPS470 I am still using the PS3 (Although I did upgrade from the FAT to the Slim).

Its just so convenient for ....everything!
Now that the Sony TV remote controls it as easily as anything else that bluetooth remote is not an issue.

The PS3 has been leading edge since the day it was released.
I wonder what else it can do?

I got a PS3 fat 40gb as my entry into Blu ray.
Was so impressed i got an Oppo BDP83MR, but it was hardly used.

Sold that and got a PS3 slim 160gb. I gave my daughter my PS3 40gb.

Still using a PS3.

It must be The Most popular bluray player available. It surely outsells all others still.

I do use all functions of the PS3 too. Movies, Games and streaming etc; so the perfect tool for me.

neuty

Definitely still using my PS3
More recently I bought a Sony 760. The 760 "might" have had a slight edge on detail. However, the most obvious thing was a minor difference in calibration, with the 760 being slightly brighter, giving it the appearance of more detail.
Either way, my wife hated the idea of fiddling around with selecting different inputs on our AV amp and projector, so we've got back to using just the PS3, which is used for BD, DVD, TV (via PlayTV), Lovefilm streaming, iPlayer and games. The 760 was sold, and I have to say that I don't miss it in the slightest.

Still using my PS3. It gets used for BR, streaming and gaming plus PlayTV. Although I've just ordered a PlayON!HD mini for streaming as the various PS3 streaming solutions all have bugs. Also bought an LG530 region A player for US discs.....£76 inc delivery and customs from amazon.com :)

No intention of replacing the PS3 for Blu-Ray just yet.

my FAT ps3 died, the laser did anyway :thumbsdow, was great until that point.

however, since then i use a pioneer player, even though i replaced the ps3 with a slim. i not planning on using it as player and hope it will last longer than poorly designed predecessor! got to admit the love for Sony rubbed off. to top it GT5 is meh, AI is as dumb as ever and online is crap

Last edited:
I'm still using mine. The laser died about a year ago but only cost me about £35 to get a new laser and fit it myself. I can't really see any reason why I'd want to replace it. I bought it as a Bluray player back in '07 since at the time it was the most full featured and cheapest Bluray player on the market and it's served well ever since with loads of added features over the years. The bluetooth remote is also fantastic.

I was until around a month ago and then invested in a S370 as they had one in Bennetts for about £98 and with some good reviews and feedback it seemed a no brainer!!

As someone said above, the fan noise can be a bit distracting especially with the old school fat ones which is what I have. I also found the S370 a lot faster on reading Blu's over the PS3.

The PS3 is still a great blu ray player though. Cant disagree there! It also plays games too ;)

I am still using my 1st generation PS3. I still think it's quite a fantastic bit of kit. I was intending to get a Panasonic Blu-Ray recorder but the prices are putting me off and no other manufactures releasing BR recorders in EU.

Im still using my original fat 60GB ps3 from '07, i would like a seperate player for the convenience but from what ive read and heard the picture quality wouldnt really be any better than what i have already.

Can someone please explain to me how a 4 yr old games console can still have a better picture with bluray than a dedicated brand new current player?

Back in the ps2 era the dvd performance of that particular console was very quickly beaten into submission by seperate players so what makes bluray so different that current players cant beat the ps3 interms of picture quality?

Im still using my original fat 60GB ps3 from '07, i would like a seperate player for the convenience but from what ive read and heard the picture quality wouldnt really be any better than what i have already.

Can someone please explain to me how a 4 yr old games console can still have a better picture with bluray than a dedicated brand new current player?

Back in the ps2 era the dvd performance of that particular console was very quickly beaten into submission by seperate players so what makes bluray so different that current players cant beat the ps3 interms of picture quality?

AIUI, because most people will use an entirely digital system, there is no analogue conversions where things can get messy. Also the BR spec is very tight so what the players output has to match far more closely. So with BR at 1080/24P via HDMI, most players will be very very similar. Also many players use the same parts with development costs being so high. The only differences with PQ tend to be 'tweeks' made to the picture to differentiate the product rather than improved quality. With SD-DVD there was far more room for movement and the PQ so bad far more room for improvement.

Still using my PS3 fat for blu-ray and Arcam 139 for DVD, I would not mind getting a one box solution that is as good as the 139 for cd playback but I have not seen anything that is really going to better my current combination.

The Oppo 93/95 has caught my attention but for now the PS3 is going to stay.

Yep still using my 40gb PS3 as my BD player, not to mention all DVD's Divx, etc.

Little beaut has paid for its self by now.

Gets used almost everyday !

120GB Slim, but if I get a 3D TV I'll definitely get a dedicated 3D deck.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom