Who is paying for my broadband??

wingnut121

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people

I was hoping if some one could help me with a dilemma at my new place.

I moved in at the start of the month, first thing i needed to do was set up broadband.

I chose a supplier and as usual i have to wait for a connection date. Mine is the end of this month.

That is a long time to go without internet, so i thought i would give it ago and plug my old sky router in and see what happens.

And to my surprise i had internet, also plugged in my phone and i could make and receive calls.

Now i have completely cancelled my sky subscription at my previous property, so i don't know why i am getting internet.

The only thing i can think of is the previous tenant has not cancelled there connection to this property and i am getting it on there bill.

But where do i stand on this, the property has been empty for 2 months and there is no post from sky for bills etc. Will the charges come back on me? The strange thing is the company i am signing up with can not see that there is a line already connected.

Any thoughts??

Sometimes people are tied into a minimum term contract with a supplier that they can't get at their new address.

When we moved out of a house a while ago we had 6 months still remaining, and we used it as a sweetener to the next tenants and kept paying it ourselves until our contract was up.

When we moved into our current place the prospective tenant had paid for connection and a years contract. We could have just paid nothing, but we took over the line rental out of fairness as the previous chap had paid a hefty connection fee as it was a new property.

Sometimes people are tied into a minimum term contract with a supplier that they can't get at their new address.

When we moved out of a house a while ago we had 6 months still remaining, and we used it as a sweetener to the next tenants and kept paying it ourselves until our contract was up.

When we moved into our current place the prospective tenant had paid for connection and a years contract. We could have just paid nothing, but we took over the line rental out of fairness as the previous chap had paid a hefty connection fee as it was a new property.

I had never thought of that!!

I am i right in thinking then my new broadband provider would not be able to provide me with broadband anyway due to some else being connected??

I might just cancel my new provider and wait and see how long this internet lasts for...

Yeah, you can't do anything easily while there's a service active on the line. There are ways to get it sorted, but I don't know what they are :)

We had more hassle taking over the bills than we would have had letting the other guy pay it! We had to get forms sent out, fill them in and sign them, send them to the old tenant for his approval, then get them back and sent them to the Telecoms company. Then they said we couldn't alter the package he'd taken out, then they agreed to change it, then there was disagreement over who owned the original router, etc, etc.

Also, don't sky routers only work with Sky connections?

I have just completed the sale of a property which had/has Sky ADSL and telephone

On Friday, I called them to cancel it, thinking I could request the cease date as today, knowing I'd be completing today. The chap told me that was not the case; my only two options were to cease it there and then or 10 days from that date. He made it very clear choosing there and then meant the web would stop that evening

So I decided not to as, silly as it may sound, I knew the next day I wouldn't have a TV in the house but via my iPad I could watch Match of the Day live :)

Anyhow......I called back this morning to cancel and Sky told me I have to give 14 days notice. After much to and fro I hit the inevitable brick wall and was left with no choice but to wait the 14 days for the services to cease

My point (there is one!) being the line and ADSL are still 'live' at the property until early September, perphaps the same has happened with yourself as already suggested. FWIW I put a block on international and premium rate calls (most I could do) so perhaps you should try calling Babestation :D

I had the 14 day wait with my last place as well, but at this place no one has been here for over 2 months.

My ISP is with Sky so i am just lucky that i had a sky router.

The previous tenant has either forgot to cancel their contract or their contract has a minimum time span on it.

But i am sure with any sky deal you can pull out at anytime just have to wait the 14 days??

I suppose i can just wait and see....

But would the previous occupant not take that contract with him? and it's just they are slow at switching it off at the old house?

Last edited:
I got a free year of 512k NTL internet because the man on the other end of the phone refused to believe it was active in my area and when I said 'well how come I can see this Altavista page?' he hung up on me.

But where do i stand on this, the property has been empty for 2 months and there is no post from sky for bills etc. Will the charges come back on me? The strange thing is the company i am signing up with can not see that there is a line already connected.

Any thoughts??
They could of had there mail re-directed so any bill will go to there new address, if you can get their address or phone number why not give them a call and find out if your property is still on a minimum contract with there supplier or at least let them know so they can cancel, is there anything legally they can do if they find out you have been using it without informing them as it would be in there name? Fraud or services by deception? maybe?

Curly

But would the previous occupant not take that contract with him?
Could have moved abroad or in with a partner who already has an ISP.

Wasn't there a similar thread a while back where the OP just ended up banging their head against a wall built from DPA bricks trying to get it resolved?

I think at least some of the Sky deals are 12 month minimum contract.

Sky has a 12 month minimum contract but you can take it with you when you move, that what I have just done. I had Sky in one property, requested a home move, they shut it down at my old address and turned it all back on at my new.

I would imagine that the old tenants in your place just forgot to move it. You can call sky and tell them you are in the address now and they can transfer the broadband and phone into your name (as I have also done before).

Sky has a 12 month minimum contract but you can take it with you when you move, that what I have just done. I had Sky in one property, requested a home move, they shut it down at my old address and turned it all back on at my new.

I would imagine that the old tenants in your place just forgot to move it. You can call sky and tell them you are in the address now and they can transfer the broadband and phone into your name (as I have also done before).
Does it take a long time to transfer, or is it instant?

But if you move somewhere like the Channel Islands (as I did) then you can't get Sky broadband at all, despite still being able to get Sky TV and theoretically having a British phone number. As Crocodile mentioned, the tenant could have moved in with a partner who had an existing contract (as I also did). I keep giving them free money :)

Could have moved abroad or in with a partner who already has an ISP.

Wasn't there a similar thread a while back where the OP just ended up banging their head against a wall built from DPA bricks trying to get it resolved?

I don't remember, but I see what you mean in the first bit :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom