Who here has upgraded their original DV27 to 27A?

KevinH

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what all it entails. I think I understand that the original Sil503 progressive chip stays in and does not get replaced by the newer Sil504 chip. I think John Dawson said that they shrunk the die on the newer chip therefore it operates at a lower temp. but otherwise no significant performance differences for progressive scan. Does the mpeg board get replaced to the newest Vaddis chip? And if yes, I assume it still has the chroma bug anamolies. Any other key improvements included? My player is in for the upgrade though I don't know when it will be done.

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to the forums

Unfortunately I can't comment on what hardware gets changed but I had my DV27+ changed about 7 months ago. What I would say is that it doesn't seem to have had any negative issues or for that matter any increases in performance. What has disappointed me though is the quality of DVD-A discs available.
Getting hold of the discs is easier than it used to be but thats mainly via the web, you still go into shops and they haven't a clue what you are talking about or they get confused with plain vanilla music DVDs!!!
I would say that 75% of the discs I have don't sound that much better than CD and some sound worse ie Naxos The Planets. Some though like Linkin Park (Reanimation) sound really good and show off what the format can do.

Rant over

Regards
John

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom