Who has the oldest TV still running?

johnbower

I have a Panasonic TH42PX80B since 2008 it has been on nearly every day and is still going.

Just made me think do we know who has the oldest TV still running on the forums?

I know a lot will have newer sets but some will have secondary or even more TV's in the house.

Still love the picture and although it has suffered some burn it is still a very enjoyable TV especially for the SD broadcasts.

Would have kept my CRT TV if it had not broken down but the Panasonic was a great replacement.

Last edited:

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I have a Panasonic TH42PX80B since 2008 it has been on nearly every day and is still going.

Just made me think do we know who has the oldest TV still running on the forums?

I know a lot will have newer sets but some will have secondary or even more TV's in the house.

Still love the picture and although it has suffered some burn it is still a very enjoyable TV especially for the SD broadcasts.

Would have kept my CRT TV if it had not broken down but the Panasonic was a great replacement.
I have a Samsung LE23R51 in white in the bedroom that I've had since 2006 which still works perfectly.

tvdavid

I picked up a nice working Toshiba 37X3030 Rezga X Series Full HD 1080p Digital Freeview LCD TV the other day its a perfect picture

it has a universal stand

tvdavid

forgot there is the light-up 32 inch Phillips tv too and I like the PQ on that

Pilsudski

samsung le32s62b here since 2008

20211120_062445.jpg

MultiRoom

That was my first flat screen TV. Gave it to my parents and it’s still used daily today. They even had it mounted outside, under a shelter, for several summers running. That thing was built to last, and the picture is still incredible. So natural.

johnbower

True it does give a very good picture. SD is brilliant on it. Just a shame there is a little screen burn on mine :(

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member

tvdavid

Wow just been given these 2 tvs and they only need a remote the Samsung LE26R41BD is superior though

Researcher

Babes in the woods you lot. :)

I've a JVC 4:3 TV, AV-25GS1EK from Circa 1994 that still works perfectly via a digital box for the signal. It only gets very occasional use.

It was once repaired when still in regular use (up to about 2001) for 'dry joints' - I bet you could not get that done now.

I've also still got a Toshiba 36ZP18P 16:9 TV from 2001/2002 that has been in regular use and is now back in daily use with my son and his family, again receiving signals via a digital box. That was/is a cracking TV and came with additional sterio speakers and the cabinet. It weighs 75Kg!!!

matr69

Snap, I have had exactly the same TV since 01/02/2008, still going strong and reluctant to change, it has no image retention at all, picture still seems very good to me, still my main TV. The only downside is that it is only 42" so sometimes get a bit distracted by the 65" OLEDs.

chancooluk

Not the oldest TV, but my Nan has had a Sanyo CE32LD08-B running since 2010 for around 8-10 hours per day.

Considering its made by Vestel, I'd say that's pretty good going. I've had 5 different Samsung's fail on me in that time span.

Cevolution

Suspended
The oldest tv in my home that is still working is a Sony Bravia LCD kdl40x3100 which I bought in 2007:

images-99.jpeg

I also owned the equivalent Sony Bravia kdl40x2000 LCD model from the previous 2006 year, I gave it to my mum, and it's still working too:

images-97.jpeg

Edit: I can't say the same for my Panasonic VT60 plasma, it busted earlier this year.

Last edited:

johnbower

So is it 1994 occasional use JVC 4:3 TV, AV-25GS1EK oldest at present?

The Panasonic seem to be consistent and it is a nice TV.

Again miss my CRT it was huge but great image and oh yes time crisis and point blank :)

CatsWithThumbs

I have a 14" Ferguson D14R dating back to 1992; not in regular use any more but does still work (confirmed tonight). No form of video input though so running via freeview box equipped with UHF modulator in order to connect via the aerial input (an IceCrypt something or other which, I might add, is awful). Somewhat grainer than I remember so probably needs a tweak on the fine tuning

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_221918.jpg
    IMG_20211129_221918.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 78

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
I had a Toshiba 32ZP38, bought in 2002, and used as the main set until earlier this year. It was a great bit of kit in it's day.

DavidT

I have a Hitachi 21" CRT TV bought in 1983 which still worked earlier this year but now lives in the loft.

Last edited:

COPPER585

Got a Panasonic 50" plasma that I bought 2007 still going strong in the kids room. And still got Panasonic 65" plasma in the living room which was their last one. Bought that around 2014 I think. Both still give Fantastic full HD pictures I still can't justify getting rid just to go 4k I will wait till they die!

tvdavid

I got a Samsung PS-50C7HD this weekend but prob going to give it away free to the next person that buys a tv from me.

if they want it

not much info about this tv apart from the thread on hear.

password1

Distinguished Member
My parents have a black and white TV. It still works and is used for the CCTV.

In my house I have a 40inch Sony LCD, the second biggest flat screen at the time and was new technology when most people had heavy CRT TVS. It was huge at the time as it replaced a big 29 inch TV.

MikeTheBike2010

We have a Panasonic G30 42 inch plasma from 2014 still going strong. Also have a PJ but that’s also 2K so all our software is cheaper and still looks and sounds better than I ever could have imagined even a decade before.
I do some work with a local enterprise - Tech Take Back - in Brighton where we do our best to keep everything out of landfill by collecting unwanted electricals and reusing or correctly dismantling to recycle. It is somewhat shocking to the the sheer amount of “stuff” which was once desired and now has zero value to its first user?
Although charity shops (and burglars!) have no interesting cds and DVDs we donate all the time to folk who simply cannot afford streaming services but would like to watch and listen.
Having worked there it does give me a perspective on this constant need to upgrade?

A1944

I imagine the answer is probably somewhere like the Science Museum who may have a working example of a 30 line spinning disc TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon